Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
10
11
... LastLast
  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Sorry, but this is false equivalence. One side does this constantly, and the other side does it rarely...that does not make them the same.
    If you're talking about politicians, I agree. If you're talking about fervent members of the general population, the numbers are much more equivalent, and that is the group I was talking about.

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    The issue with this, is that one race is told to be quite about their race and be ashamed of it (colonialism and privilege), and not identity with it, and then at the same breath other races are told to be proud of it, and form an identity around it.

    So people are obviously going WTF? Except those that have bought into the self loathing, and now feel they have a duty to "correct" others.
    Agree. Its either we done it wrong or they are doing it wrong. It cant be ok to be a black lifes matter but wrong to be a white lifes matter, either both are right or both are wrong. What white people did first was ban slavery, in many countries still its not banned, pushing white guilt seem silly.

  3. #163
    Stood in the Fire Heran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Indonesia/Singapore
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Everyone is biased, whats really racist i really hard to say. But I know that i look down/worry/feel scared about people from other signs then race, poor, drunk, acting strange and so on sure race have something to do with it also, i dont feel like someone from japan/china/thailand will rob me so i feel more safe then if someone that look like from finland, arab or eritrea.
    Weren't you complaining about racism against white people?

  4. #164
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    15,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Heran View Post
    Weren't you complaining about racism against white people?
    You realize any group can be targeted for race?

  5. #165
    Stood in the Fire Heran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Indonesia/Singapore
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    You realize any group can be targeted for race?
    Yes? He was complaining about racism against white people yet he is racist against white people himself.

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by Heran View Post
    Weren't you complaining about racism against white people?
    Yes, because that seem to be fine, i find it hypocritical.
    I can have many opinions and undefined thoughts at the same time, im human not a NPC ;-)
    If people admit that its not racist being scared of something that is a real threat its easier to actually talk about real racism like being scared of something that isnt a threat at all.

  7. #167
    Stood in the Fire Heran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Indonesia/Singapore
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Yes, because that seem to be fine, i find it hypocritical.
    I can have many opinions and undefined thoughts at the same time, im human not a NPC ;-)
    If people admit that its not racist being scared of something that is a real threat its easier to actually talk about real racism like being scared of something that isnt a threat at all.
    You're racist against white people yourself but you complain about racism against white people? That doesn't make sense.

  8. #168
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Heran View Post
    You're racist against white people yourself but you complain about racism against white people? That doesn't make sense.
    Racism is "irrational", it is based on fear, and sometimes for good reason, like bad repeat experiences.

    You can be afraid of white people, realize it is racist, and try to ameliorate that as best you can in yourself.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

  9. #169
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    59,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Yup. Does not in any way support your bullshit claims. As you'd know if, again, you had bothered to even read it, rather than make wild assumptions based on the headline.

  10. #170
    Quote Originally Posted by Heran View Post
    You're racist against white people yourself but you complain about racism against white people? That doesn't make sense.
    I guess its because its not really racism, if its based on facts. Or yes, its racism because i feel that way without anything to back it up. Its hard to know, maybe my facts are wrong because i read left news or right news, life is complicated. People can view you as racist, but what do they know about your life and reasons? All that matters is that you dont hurt anyone and try to be a good person.

  11. #171
    Stood in the Fire Heran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Indonesia/Singapore
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    I guess its because its not really racism, if its based on facts. Or yes, its racism because i feel that way without anything to back it up. Its hard to know, maybe my facts are wrong because i read left news or right news, life is complicated. People can view you as racist, but what do they know about your life and reasons? All that matters is that you dont hurt anyone and try to be a good person.
    When you say you're scared by someone that looks Finnish because they might rob you, you don't really have any leg to stand on when you complain about racism against white people, because you are perpetuating it yourself. Know what? I find it very likely you're projecting.

  12. #172
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yup. Does not in any way support your bullshit claims. As you'd know if, again, you had bothered to even read it, rather than make wild assumptions based on the headline.
    I admit it was way harder to find anything to back up my claim then i expected. Sounds like in general i was wrong.I didnt want to link to pages i dont know that said stuff like you cant race mix if you belive in black lifes matter, because i dont know what kind of pages they are.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Heran View Post
    When you say you're scared by someone that looks Finnish because they might rob you, you don't really have any leg to stand on when you complain about racism against white people, because you are perpetuating it yourself. Know what? I find it very likely you're projecting.
    If i live in a area where there are finnish gangs ofcause im worried about finnish people, just like if im in a area with arab gangs. But if there is no finnish gangs here, i would be biased to be afraid of a finnish person. Or if arab. Most reasons for racism is real and then its not racism anymore, its just a way to stay safe.
    Its not islamofoba to run is someone yell allah akkbar, we know it might be a bomb, but it might just be someone saying hi to a friend... but yes i would duck.

  13. #173
    Stood in the Fire Heran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Indonesia/Singapore
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    If i live in a area where there are finnish gangs ofcause im worried about finnish people, just like if im in a area with arab gangs. But if there is no finnish gangs here, i would be biased to be afraid of a finnish person. Or if arab. Most reasons for racism is real and then its not racism anymore, its just a way to stay safe.
    It is racist. It doesn't matter how you justify it.

  14. #174
    Quote Originally Posted by Heran View Post
    It is racist. It doesn't matter how you justify it.
    Ok if its racist then everyone that have a normally developed brain is racist, because thats how the brain works. It put information into boxes, they lable the boxes safe, ok or be worried. Race is one of those boxes, people from japan, buddhist and other things are on safe

  15. #175
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    59,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Ok if its racist then everyone that have a normally developed brain is racist, because thats how the brain works. It put information into boxes, they lable the boxes safe, ok or be worried. Race is one of those boxes, people from japan, buddhist and other things are on safe
    The brain also tells you to hit things that scare or bother you. These are the kinds of things we teach toddlers to not do any more. That it's instinctual isn't an excuse, any more than lashing out in physical violence is.

  16. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The brain also tells you to hit things that scare or bother you. These are the kinds of things we teach toddlers to not do any more. That it's instinctual isn't an excuse, any more than lashing out in physical violence is.
    Well... that is also acting like there isn't a sound argument for racism. Take cab drivers, without naming names if they are selective about their clientele they can drastically reduce the chance of being robbed or attacked.
    Last edited by Has lost its way; 2019-05-06 at 07:46 PM.

  17. #177
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    59,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    Well... that is also acting like their isn't a sound argument for racism. Take cab drivers, without naming names if they are selective about their clientele they can drastically reduce the chance of being robbed or attacked.
    There isn't any "sound argument for racism". It's irrational, abusive bullshit, every single time.

    "There are dangers outside my house, so I never leave" is the same bullshit justification for agoraphobia.

    "I might fall" is the same for fear of heights.

    And so forth.

    People with irrational fears have reasons, but those reasons are not rational.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-05-06 at 07:26 PM.

  18. #178
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    It isn't just one side. Both sides play to their base. Both sides engage in behavior designed to shut down actual intellectual discussion. In some cases, it is shouting people down. In other cases, it is lying. In the best case, it's intentional misrepresentation.

    I have come to despise the word debate. Instead, I prefer the word discussion. That is what we need. My neighbor and I are on opposite sides of the political spectrum on most things, yet we enjoy discussing how we reached our positions and what points we may not have fully considered. They are conversations that more often than not result in both of us seeing that we desire the same goals (in most cases), but we draw the line of government intervention at different places. I think that is useful. It helps us identify similarities and allows for meaningful compromise. I don't know if debate was every that, but it certainly isn't now. Today it's a game of showmanship designed to end in one side winning and the other losing, instead of the more valuable goal (imo) of mutual understanding and reasoned coexistence.
    I'm sorry, but where is the right trying to shut down speakers at college campuses? Even with 1-2 examples if you can even muster that, it's not even remotely to the degree the left is. The fact that people call speakers on the right trolls rather than actually disprove their arguments is further example of it. How many leftist speakers are openly called trolls by the media without actually providing evidence of said trolling?

  19. #179
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There isn't any "sound argument for racism". It's irrational, abusive bullshit, every single time.

    "There are dangers outside my house, so I never leave" is the same bullshit justification for agoraphobia.

    "I might fall" is the same for fear of heights.

    And so forth.

    People with irrational fears have reasons, but those reasons are not rational.
    This is why people will not take you seriously anymore...

    Ignore our emotions, only follow our intellect; is a recipe for disaster when taken to extremes.

    Is racism bad? Yes, but it exists for a very good reason,evolutionary speaking, and if it was not useful to us, we would not have it.

    It would only be "bullshit, every single time", if every person was a borg drone. Because at that point, no one has "true" (illusion or otherwise) free will.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

  20. #180
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    59,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    This is why people will not take you seriously anymore...

    Ignore our emotions, only follow our intellect; is a recipe for disaster when taken to extremes.
    Understanding when your emotions aren't rational or reasonable and working to overcome that is pretty basic level shit.

    Is racism bad? Yes, but it exists for a very good reason,evolutionary speaking, and if it was not useful to us, we would not have it.
    This is absolute fucking nonsense.

    Evolution doesn't have a "plan", and things don't evolve because of "reasons". There are a great many things which emerged either because "why not" or because "well, it's not killing me before I breed".

    The Giraffe has a critical nerve which, as with most mammals, runs from the brain, loops around the aorta, and then back up to the face. In the case of the Giraffe, this means that nerve runs ALL the way down that neck, and then ALL the way back up. That's not good design, and it serves no good purpose. It just doesn't kill giraffes before they breed, so it isn't a survival issue.

    Specific to humanity, the appendix may have once served a purpose, today, it mostly just gets infected and kills us. We still have it. Because that's how evolution works.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •