Thread: Home Invasions

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    was wondering how long it would take you to show up and spout your usual nation bashing drivel.
    Never if, always when. And the total dodge of counter points. Just condescending nonsense and buzzwords.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper0329 View Post
    Never if, always when. And the total dodge of counter points. Just condescending nonsense and buzzwords.
    obviously his/her programmer needs to fix him/her. like when 2 bots get stuck in a speech loop with each other.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    obviously his/her programmer needs to fix him/her.
    Bigmanlyboomstick.exe has encountered an error and needs to close.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper0329 View Post
    Bigmanlyboomstick.exe has encountered an error and needs to close.
    you could say it went BOOM!
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    If you live in the US it depends on what state you live in. Some states there are castle doctrine laws where I can blast your ass with out thinking twice. Others that I could only use lethal force if lethal force was an imminent threat against you or others. Otherwise any action could cause you to be the criminal. Then there are those that you really can't do jack no matter what and you'll end up in prison longer than the perpetrator would.
    Not quite. There are two legal categories that come into play here: stand your ground states and castle doctrine, and even states with both are not even remotely all encompassing

https://www.thelawofficeofbrianjones...trine-in-ohio/

There was a case not too long ago, for example, where someone was attacked, the intruder left the property entirely with some possession of the victim, and the victim then tracked down the individual and shit them and then tried to claim castle doctrine/stand your ground as an affirmative defense. Defense was completely thrown out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a family.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FaceYourself View Post
    A lot of non-home owners in this thread.
    A lot of Europeans as well, where the distance between your house and the nearest police officer can be measured in minutes not hours. Doesn't apply to my personal situation, but people from Europe where near everything has been squished together really don't get just how huge and spread out the majority of the US is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    A lot of Europeans as well, where the distance between your house and the nearest police officer can be measured in minutes not hours. Doesn't apply to my personal situation, but people from Europe where near everything has been squished together really don't get just how huge and spread out the majority of the US is.
    Or they do but don't let it get in the way of their smug, snobby comments about how civilized they are.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post

In civilised countries, thugs are not going to risk going to jail for many years over a few hundred euros.

Here, they won't break and enter when somebody is at home, nobody is that desperate.

And if they do while I'm away, they won't find anything of value that is worth the money except my laptop, which is covered by insurance.

This is how civilization deals with stuff like this, not with lethal weapons in everyones hands.

All you do is arming the aggressors.
    I'm sorry to inform you that:

1: Wrong

2: Wrong

3: Cool

4: Wrong, and you should be more specific as a lethal weapon could constitute as anything that can fuck you up and\or kill you. Just say you're afraid of boomsticks.

5: Wrong

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exuberance View Post
    If someone were to walk in your front door and refuse to leave, and start roughing up your family, would you be prepared?

Or, what if you invited someone over, and things turned ugly, and they refused to leave, what would you do?

Or what if you didn't invite someone over, and they were just creepy and were stalking you, and they snuck into your house, and refused to leave you alone? What would you do? Would you be prepared?

As someone who has always advocated against guns and always tried to look for solutions around using violence, I've constantly wondered exactly how I could deal with a situation like you can see in some horror movies or in the news when I'm not sure if I'd want to use such force. I know the automatic solution is just to call the police, but exactly how do you do that if you're pinned down or things go down pretty fast?
    I had a younger brother. He died a few months ago due to drug abbuse.
    Back in November last year he showed up at my door, begging to let him in because he missed me. I made the mistake of letting him in.
    It didn't take more than 5 minuttes before it was obvious he just wanted money but the scary part was the psychotic behaviour and how he barely recognized me as his brother but rather a pray (he was bigger than me) he could threaten to feed his habbit.

I maneged to talk him out of my door so I could close it - but had the same thoughts as you. I'm not a violent person at all - and certainly not towards my own brother. My solution was buying a can of pepperspray. It will not harm a person permanently - but incapacitate them until the police arrives. That was the best solution I could think of - protect myself without doing permantly damage to him, (or anyone else).

P.S.
    Mind you the law where I live is pretty strict about self defense, including pepperspray: It's for self defense only if you feel you are in physical danger. Not to get an unwanted guest out of your home - unless you feel physical threatend. Best of luck to you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    You can be dead in less than a min.
    Wooooooooosh
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    First off, props to your dad. That's how you handle business. But you're right, it shouldn't have to have gone down that way. Did your father get in trouble? It would be a travesty if he did and the creeper who tried to attack you didn't.
    No, they brought him with them to question him but he was free to go after that. Nothing happened to the guy, they in a roundabout way said it would be impossible to prove he was going to do anything and not worth wasting time on it, investigation was dropped quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Oh I know, but she's not in the US, so I don't know how that would go down where she is.
    I'm in Estonia for the record.