Thread: Home Invasions

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
... LastLast
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Exuberance View Post
    If someone were to walk in your front door and refuse to leave, and start roughing up your family, would you be prepared?

    Or, what if you invited someone over, and things turned ugly, and they refused to leave, what would you do?

    Or what if you didn't invite someone over, and they were just creepy and were stalking you, and they snuck into your house, and refused to leave you alone? What would you do? Would you be prepared?

    As someone who has always advocated against guns and always tried to look for solutions around using violence, I've constantly wondered exactly how I could deal with a situation like you can see in some horror movies or in the news when I'm not sure if I'd want to use such force. I know the automatic solution is just to call the police, but exactly how do you do that if you're pinned down or things go down pretty fast?
    Nothing,(1) seeing my country will protect the culpritt and throw the house defender longer in jaill then the guy home invading.


    1: Thats what they want, but personally id boot them out one way or another.
    ''With this attack, we have no choice but to protect our kind by unleashing our almighty weapon upon them. Summoning the Apocalypse'' - Stellaris Apocalypse trailer.

  2. #82
    Wouldn't happen because my building is locked down. Only the tenants and people working for some companies can enter. Love it, no salesmen, no kids truing to sell majblommor, no kids asking for candy for easter or halloween.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Yeah, pretty much this.

    I have lots of relatives and friends, and not one of them has experienced a "home invasion". I've known a few that had their house / apartment burgled, but not when they were there (because most of the time, house robberies don't happen with people in the house).

    When I've take the time to look into the most explosive home invasion stories, they have always had some other connection happening (usually drug dealer or someone who stole drugs from a drug dealer...hence the real reason for the home invasion) with one notable exception.

    That notable exception? The only cases I've found where the victims of home invasion were completely innocent have always involved cops breaking into the house.

    Now, with that in mind (i.e. the fact that if you are an innocent, the most likely group to break into your house and threaten you with violence will be cops), what exactly is the OP prepared to do? Do you think owning and brandishing a gun, much less attempting to use it, will turn out well for you?
    https://www.creditdonkey.com/home-in...tatistics.html it is more common than many may think. While one may not like the author of this article, he does provide links to his sources.

    My wife's cousin was killed when he broke into a guy's apartment and attacked him with a knife. I remember as a kid living in Cleveland and my dad woke up to find a person trying to break thru a window. He shouted for our mom to get the pistol. He did not have one, but the robber fled when he heard that. There are other family stories I could share. Some people are lucky or lived all their lives in pretty safe neighborhoods.
    The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that… it is their right and duty to be at all times armed.” - Thomas Jefferson.

    If I do not respond to your post directed at myself, there will be three reasons. 1. You are on my ignore list. 2. You did not make a post I felt was worthy of a response. 3. I simply never saw it, as I do not dig thru posts if I been offline for a while.

  4. #84
    The Undying Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    37,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Exuberance View Post
    I'm not sure how you got that from my sig, but you'd be wrong.



    I left because I was hoping to get creative answers and instead I got the same answers as I've seen in countless other threads made by other people. I was also getting condescended, and I have no interest in sticking around to put up with that.



    Property, no. I'm not sure if any object is worth someones life. But assuming I wouldn't care about protecting those around me, you'd be wrong. I would rather look for an answer that isn't the norm because I would rather not have to hurt people. We are not grizzly bears, we're fully capable of choosing to try and find a solution that is clever enough to not involve violence.
    You have been given good information. I addressed all your situations and all but one was violence unavoidable. You don’t need to be some kind of badass you just need to assert yourself which I would say is probably more than half of the task.

    As I said Its my job to throw out adult grown men and in the past sometimes drunk sometimes heated over some women or wanting to fight. I can tell you most of the time violence isn’t required.

    This is your home and unless violence is already upon you then you simply need to handle the situation directly.

    As for the scenario where you’re family is being attacked honestly knowing how to use a gun and when can be a great tool to avoid further violence all around although you shouldn’t raise a gun thinking that. If you pull a gun you better be ready to kill.

    However keep in mind if you’ve done all you can and you need to pull a gun and are direct then they have a choice too.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  5. #85
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Yeah, pretty much this.

    I have lots of relatives and friends, and not one of them has experienced a "home invasion". I've known a few that had their house / apartment burgled, but not when they were there (because most of the time, house robberies don't happen with people in the house).

    When I've take the time to look into the most explosive home invasion stories, they have always had some other connection happening (usually drug dealer or someone who stole drugs from a drug dealer...hence the real reason for the home invasion) with one notable exception.

    That notable exception? The only cases I've found where the victims of home invasion were completely innocent have always involved cops breaking into the house.

    Now, with that in mind (i.e. the fact that if you are an innocent, the most likely group to break into your house and threaten you with violence will be cops), what exactly is the OP prepared to do? Do you think owning and brandishing a gun, much less attempting to use it, will turn out well for you?
    I figure that even with a gun, that if I weren't to catch them first, that I'd likely be at a disadvantage. Maybe not if they don't have a weapon, but who knows? I don't think it's likely to happen, but I would have loved to have heard about a non-violent option if there was one.

    Home invasion I see as breaking and entering.

    I don't like guns. I don't trust guns. Things go wrong, and I think it's better to not have them around.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    You have been given good information. I addressed all your situations and all but one was violence unavoidable. You don’t need to be some kind of badass you just need to assert yourself which I would say is probably more than half of the task.

    As I said Its my job to throw out adult grown men and in the past sometimes drunk sometimes heated over some women or wanting to fight. I can tell you most of the time violence isn’t required.

    This is your home and unless violence is already upon you then you simply need to handle the situation directly.

    As for the scenario where you’re family is being attacked honestly knowing how to use a gun and when can be a great tool to avoid further violence all around although you shouldn’t raise a gun thinking that. If you pull a gun you better be ready to kill.

    However keep in mind if you’ve done all you can and you need to pull a gun and are direct then they have a choice too.
    It always best to avoid confrontations out in the public. In Ohio, we even have the requirement to flee if it is realistically possible when we are threatened. The same does not apply to inside our homes or cars however. Hesitation can also get you killed and once a intruder breaks down your door or window and then enters? They are fair game. But I do agree with your points in general and you offer some good ones. You are absolutely right in that if you pull a gun on someone, you better be ready to use it and also, have the conditions met what the law says is a deadly threat.
    The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that… it is their right and duty to be at all times armed.” - Thomas Jefferson.

    If I do not respond to your post directed at myself, there will be three reasons. 1. You are on my ignore list. 2. You did not make a post I felt was worthy of a response. 3. I simply never saw it, as I do not dig thru posts if I been offline for a while.

  7. #87
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR - USA
    Posts
    1,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Seeing as how I specifically have training on ejected fully grown human beings for a living from places they have been dis invited or asked to leave, ,my burdens or expectations would likely be a bit different.
    Is this a fancy way of saying you're a bouncer/security?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.

  8. #88
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    You have been given good information. I addressed all your situations and all but one was violence unavoidable. You don’t need to be some kind of badass you just need to assert yourself which I would say is probably more than half of the task.

    As I said Its my job to throw out adult grown men and in the past sometimes drunk sometimes heated over some women or wanting to fight. I can tell you most of the time violence isn’t required.

    This is your home and unless violence is already upon you then you simply need to handle the situation directly.

    As for the scenario where you’re family is being attacked honestly knowing how to use a gun and when can be a great tool to avoid further violence all around although you shouldn’t raise a gun thinking that. If you pull a gun you better be ready to kill.

    However keep in mind if you’ve done all you can and you need to pull a gun and are direct then they have a choice too.
    But I don't need advice on how to assertive myself with a gun.

  9. #89
    The Undying Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    37,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Exuberance View Post
    But I don't need advice on how to assertive myself with a gun.
    I’m not giving you advice. I’m also not saying you need a gun. But you asked for the least amount of violence or none. I’ve given you information on that. All but one scenario already has violence in it.

    If someone is attacking your family or even other guest you probably want to protect them.

    A pair of pliers under the nose, if it’s a mail grab and twist their testicles or if you know how to use a chokehold to cut off the blood supply to the brain. None of the above requires a gun but you better be committed because when the blood is pumping and that adrenaline is going you need to act quickly and decisively.

    If you don’t want to fight then you need something to apply pain sharply and direct that cuts through all that bullshit and gives you leverage.

    Some have also mentioned tasers but again if violence is on you then mitigating that violence is all you can do.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaderas View Post
    Is this a fancy way of saying you're a bouncer/security?
    We all start somewhere. Although I’d say when it comes to clubs or bars women are harder to wrangle than guys. Mostly because as a guy only so many places you can grab and not get in trouble and when breaking up a fight Or moving guys generally are going to do something or they won’t. Women will try to take another woman’s eye out with a shoe or finger nails.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  10. #90
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR - USA
    Posts
    1,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

    We all start somewhere. Although I’d say when it comes to clubs or bars women are harder to wrangle than guys. Mostly because as a guy only so many places you can grab and not get in trouble and when breaking up a fight Or moving guys generally are going to do something or they won’t. Women will try to take another woman’s eye out with a shoe or finger nails.
    I know people that have transitioned from the two above, eventually moving into private security and making pretty good money at it, so I'm not throwing shade
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.

  11. #91
    The Undying Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    37,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaderas View Post
    I know people that have transitioned from the two above, eventually moving into private security and making pretty good money at it, so I'm not throwing shade
    LOL np I started off doing bouncing and what not, but then went to be a Mall Cop to just handling loss prevention and into security. But yeah you are right if you go to the military, and you have a clean record OHH yeah, those guys make into the 6 figures especially depending on their training an experience. There is the operational side and then their are are roles.

    Trade off for the people I know is the family thing has to be put on hold because you travel a lot, but if you get hired on at a big firm you can make great money, and have a lot of options.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    This is a blatantly stupid post. The sun exploding is like a one in a trillion chance. Homes get invaded every fucking day. This isn't an unlikely hypothetical scenario, it's a every day reality. Yes, even in supposed utopias like Norway or Sweden. This shit really does happen, so don't be fucking snide with this bullshit hypothetical scenario crap.

    I don't have a gun (yet), but I have a tire beater (basically a billy club) and quite a few knives. Plus, I'm a pretty big guy. If anyone tries to invade my home, they're in for at minimum a few broken bones, a cracked skull and severe blood loss.
    Just remember t don't bring a knife or club to a gun fight though.

  13. #93
    The Undying Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    37,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    It always best to avoid confrontations out in the public. In Ohio, we even have the requirement to flee if it is realistically possible when we are threatened. The same does not apply to inside our homes or cars however. Hesitation can also get you killed and once a intruder breaks down your door or window and then enters? They are fair game. But I do agree with your points in general and you offer some good ones. You are absolutely right in that if you pull a gun on someone, you better be ready to use it and also, have the conditions met what the law says is a deadly threat.
    Yeah most of the time people are aware of fire drills, or other kinds of emergency preparations that a lot of people also don't do, but for even those that have, knowing how to deal with stressful situations is rough.

    As for someone breaking into your home, All I know is what the law tells me, but when it comes to a man's home his castle the sanctity of that and protecting their family, the law is less important than someone protecting what is important.

    But yeah if you have a gun use it, just practice, and learn when and how to use it, it really can save your life, however people thinking just having a gun and that is it, panic and hesitation can cause one their lives also.

    When it comes to the circumstances in the OP, there is only one real instance I can see it being needed, and that is if someone is attacking your family or others in your home.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzako View Post
    Just remember t don't bring a knife or club to a gun fight though.
    Lol! Yep. And maybe some who are strong enough and the invader is not armed, can man handle them well enough. But what if the home owner is older, weaker? A firearm can help even out the odds significantly. It is possible for a 85 year old woman in a wheel chair, to stop a 300 pound professional wrestler with one shot.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Yeah most of the time people are aware of fire drills, or other kinds of emergency preparations that a lot of people also don't do, but for even those that have, knowing how to deal with stressful situations is rough.

    As for someone breaking into your home, All I know is what the law tells me, but when it comes to a man's home his castle the sanctity of that and protecting their family, the law is less important than someone protecting what is important.

    But yeah if you have a gun use it, just practice, and learn when and how to use it, it really can save your life, however people thinking just having a gun and that is it, panic and hesitation can cause one their lives also.

    When it comes to the circumstances in the OP, there is only one real instance I can see it being needed, and that is if someone is attacking your family or others in your home.
    I certainly agree with your point about practicing and knowing not only how to effectively use a firearm, but to safely use one.

    But, meh, I carry a firearm on my person any time I am out of the home in the public. If I am going to have someone visit my home that I do not know that well? I will more than likely have a firearm on my person while they are here. Or have quick access to one they will not know where it is. I grew up in a very rough neighborhood when I was a teenager in Cleveland. So being prepared is important for me.
    The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that… it is their right and duty to be at all times armed.” - Thomas Jefferson.

    If I do not respond to your post directed at myself, there will be three reasons. 1. You are on my ignore list. 2. You did not make a post I felt was worthy of a response. 3. I simply never saw it, as I do not dig thru posts if I been offline for a while.

  15. #95
    Mechagnome Reclaimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    In your air conditioning
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by Exuberance View Post
    If someone were to walk in your front door and refuse to leave, and start roughing up your family, would you be prepared?

    Or, what if you invited someone over, and things turned ugly, and they refused to leave, what would you do?

    Or what if you didn't invite someone over, and they were just creepy and were stalking you, and they snuck into your house, and refused to leave you alone? What would you do? Would you be prepared?

    As someone who has always advocated against guns and always tried to look for solutions around using violence, I've constantly wondered exactly how I could deal with a situation like you can see in some horror movies or in the news when I'm not sure if I'd want to use such force. I know the automatic solution is just to call the police, but exactly how do you do that if you're pinned down or things go down pretty fast?
    Would you likee to know what the best defenses against a home invasion is? It's 3 things -

    1. Dont live out in the country, Stupidly at its finest, Wheres you help coming from if your 3 miles away from someone? Way I see it, if you hide you horde miles from help, someone will come and take it easy. Also fun fact - Country homes and the MOST targeted for home invasions for these reasons.

    2. Post around your property that you have an advanced home security system, I have a custom plan from ADT and have 3 signs on all entry points of my property, Most home invaders will see that shit and say fuck it because of a way higher chance of being caught. They want easy targets. I had a tree come down and smash one of my side windows out and have cops sent which showed up in 4 mins of it happening

    3. Don't be a dick to people, Be human. Alot of home invasions happen because someone has it out for you, most of the time because of something you DID to them. they know when you work, when you are home and how to get back at you. Just like school shooting, if everyone got the fuck off the " I am better than you, kneel peasants " train, Someone wouldn't want to do this to you.
    Triggered by something I said? Think I am an idiot? Should see how many PM I got of people calling me a HERO and how I have the RIGHT idea.
    #Keepclamandgetrekt #Trumpsamerica #Keepisisout

  16. #96
    The Undying Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    31,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    Nothing,(1) seeing my country will protect the culpritt and throw the house defender longer in jaill then the guy home invading.


    1: Thats what they want, but personally id boot them out one way or another.
    Show an example of this.

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    I'd really like to see some statistics of how many people are getting killed by someone just invading their homes for the purpose of killing the owners. In the unlikely event of burglary I doubt their intent is killing the people in there.

    How is it that it's usually the Americans who think that everyones out to kill them and thus buy dozens of guns the "protect" themselves
    Most of the people who commit home invasions do so to rob, not murder. My comment is in direct response to the OP.

    HOWEVER. If you have a home invader in your house you don't assume that they won't try to hurt you. You assume that they will. If at all possible you get out of the house, if not you have to defend yourself if the confrontation happens, at the point they are aware of you then you are in mortal danger and have to take lethal action to protect your family and yourself.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    https://www.creditdonkey.com/home-in...tatistics.html it is more common than many may think. While one may not like the author of this article, he does provide links to his sources.
    I am a little confused about the numbers in that article. 3.7 million homes are broken into, but only 1.03 million home invasions occur each year. But it defines home invasions as breaking into a home with the intent to commit a crime... so are there really 2.7 million cases each year of homes being broken into without the intent to commit a crime ?!

    Then it says there are 1 million burglaries with people in the home... which is pretty close to the home invasion number. But the home invasion definition specifically says you don't need to be in the house for it to be counted a home invasion... So only 30,000 home invasions occur without someone present? That doesn't sound right.

    I kinda suspect he's taken some of those numbers from different sources, and that they have slightly different definitions for some of the terms.

  19. #99
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    1,082
    I have a nest and a really really bright ass blinding light. The light will burn your eyes out if you look at it even for a second. I can see the intruder but the intruder cannot see me.

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    I am a little confused about the numbers in that article. 3.7 million homes are broken into, but only 1.03 million home invasions occur each year. But it defines home invasions as breaking into a home with the intent to commit a crime... so are there really 2.7 million cases each year of homes being broken into without the intent to commit a crime ?!

    Then it says there are 1 million burglaries with people in the home... which is pretty close to the home invasion number. But the home invasion definition specifically says you don't need to be in the house for it to be counted a home invasion... So only 30,000 home invasions occur without someone present? That doesn't sound right.

    I kinda suspect he's taken some of those numbers from different sources, and that they have slightly different definitions for some of the terms.
    Some good points you make. If it is 3.7 or 1.03 million, that should show us it is not that uncommon of a occurrence. And of course, it would vary depending on the location. The statistics by the FBI do back up that home invasions are not rare. Of course it is unlikely a given home owner will experience a home invasion. Same as it is unlikely they will experience a fire which destroys their home. The point is, it is common enough for home owners to be prepared and have a game plan. Just as it is important to have a escape plan for a possible major fire. Beats running around in panic.
    The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that… it is their right and duty to be at all times armed.” - Thomas Jefferson.

    If I do not respond to your post directed at myself, there will be three reasons. 1. You are on my ignore list. 2. You did not make a post I felt was worthy of a response. 3. I simply never saw it, as I do not dig thru posts if I been offline for a while.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •