Will debuffs be like in the last patch at the start?

Hello,

I don't even know how to ask this question right because i haven't played vanilla and i don't really know how the max number of debuffs works ( read a bit but not clear ).

Will i be able for example to play a Shadow Priest from the start without having to worry about the max number of debuffs for raids?
    I read something that the patch will be 1.12 and at that point u will have more debuff slots but are the debuff slots going to be there from the start?

Thanks,

It was 8 debuff slots to start. Increased to 16 slots in the 1.7 patch (I believe that's Zul'gurub?)

So Onyxia, Molten Core and Blackwing Lair were tuned around 8 debuff slots.

Even with 16 debuff slots you won't be able to put up all your debuffs in a raid as a shadow priest.

In dungeons, yes. In raids, if you're the 1 Shadow Priest, then you get to spam mind-flay

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    It was 8 debuff slots to start. Increased to 16 slots in the 1.7 patch (I believe that's Zul'gurub?)

So Onyxia, Molten Core and Blackwing Lair were tuned around 8 debuff slots.

Even with 16 debuff slots you won't be able to put up all your debuffs in a raid as a shadow priest.
    That doesnt answer his question.

To answer OPs question: Classic will have 16 debuff slots from the start (unlike vanilla which only had 8).
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    That doesnt answer his question.

To answer OPs question: Classic will have 16 debuff slots from the start (unlike vanilla which only had 8).
    Early* Vanilla. Later on it had 16 - but even with 16 a Shadow Priest isn't going to be decent or viable for raids.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Early* Vanilla. Later on it had 16 - but even with 16 a Shadow Priest isn't going to be decent or viable for raids.
    An optimal raid will contain one (Yes, just 1) shadow priest to buff warlock DPS. That being said, the competition for that 1 slot will probably be fierce.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

I strongly suspect they'll totally "forget" about that conveniently and change it in classic.

Nobody actually enjoyed that mechanic and it hamstrung a ton of classes that otherwise would've been a lot more decent. #nochanges or whatever but it was obviously just a design limitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    I strongly suspect they'll totally "forget" about that conveniently and change it in classic.

Nobody actually enjoyed that mechanic and it hamstrung a ton of classes that otherwise would've been a lot more decent. #nochanges or whatever but it was obviously just a design limitation.
    Considering the game is being developed on the 7.3.5 framework, it'd be silly for them to add this limitation back in.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Considering the game is being developed on the 7.3.5 framework, it'd be silly for them to add this limitation back in.
    During blizzcon they confirmed the 16 debuff limit

Quote Originally Posted by Atherions View Post
    During blizzcon they confirmed the 16 debuff limit
    Then shit. /thread

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post

It's a huge part of Vanilla raiding, would be a very big change if it wasn't in. As said above, Blizzard's confirmed it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    In dungeons, yes. In raids, if you're the 1 Shadow Priest, then you get to spam mind-flay
    You cannot spam mind flay with 8 debuffs. Mind flay counts as a DoT (a low priority one that gets pushed off super easily by other lesser debuffs) and will get pushed off before the first tick even does damage. You basically have to just mind blast and smite.

Quote Originally Posted by evermynd View Post
    You cannot spam mind flay with 8 debuffs. Mind flay counts as a DoT (a low priority one that gets pushed off super easily by other lesser debuffs) and will get pushed off before the first tick even does damage. You basically have to just mind blast and smite.
    Does the Mind Flay debuff still appear on the boss, even though he is immune to the slow?

Quote Originally Posted by Dergiab View Post
    Does the Mind Flay debuff still appear on the boss, even though he is immune to the slow?
    Yes it does

Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    An optimal raid will contain one (Yes, just 1) shadow priest to buff warlock DPS. That being said, the competition for that 1 slot will probably be fierce.
    This is only worth it if you have 4 or more locks in raid. The 15% more shadow for a lock is not made up until then. Many raids run no shadow priest or even better hybrid disc healing priest.

15+ Year Old Account
    The debuff is both the slow and damage dealing. There isn't 2 MF debuffs/DOTs

Yes, however the slowing debuff has a lower priority meaning that if the debuff slots are filled with high priority ones your mind flays will get interrupted when you cast them.

Quote Originally Posted by evermynd View Post
    Classic has 16 debuff slots from launch

Then shit. /thread
    you . but who cares when your raid will look like this 90% of time 27-28 dps is any variation of warrior/rogue/mage + 1 lock 1 hunter 1 disc/shadow +6 holy priests/palas 1 resto druid (1 shaman if horde in resto+windfury build) + 2 prot warriors

i mean lets be real here

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    you . but who cares when your raid will look like this 90% of time 27-28 dps is any variation of warrior/rogue/mage + 1 lock 1 hunter 1 disc/shadow +6 holy priests/palas 1 resto druid (1 shaman if horde in resto+windfury build) + 2 prot warriors

i mean lets be real here
    That's the least vanilla-like experience I would ever see if that's true. Don't care about the damn min/maxers that just do everything in their power to ruin everyones fun.

We had all sorts of specs and people, did fine in raiding. Half of naxx cleared before TBC and we only raided like twice a week. With shadow priests, retri paladin, druid tank, a boomkin once in a while etc. Just play for fun, the raiding content in vanilla isn't hard at all, except for maybe one or two bosses in AQ40 and some in Naxx. But for those, you just need gear.