Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The idea is to provide a well rounded education, giving you insight into many different aspects of human existence.
    Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    “Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
    "His knowledge on that topic is only power point deep..." "Power corrupts and PowerPoint corrupts absolutely."
    "Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    A lot of what we had/have is of no use at all. Like, I've never had use of knowing how to connect batteries parallel or serial. Never had any use of things taught in chemistry because those chemicals can't be bought by just anyone. PE? Wtf is that? Most of it is just people playing football anyways. What is taught there? Pretty much nothing. Art and music? What use is that? I'm shit at drawing and singing or playing instruments, it's as if those classes exist only to humiliate people. We also had a class on how to use computers. The teacher was less knowledgeable than us and couldn't teach us something we already didn't know.

Why is school filled with stuff you'll never have any use of?
    I get the feeling you're the kind of person that slept through economics, government and math classes and then complains because you weren't taught how to do your taxes.

Using hindsight PE is one of the best things you could have in school, right next to literature/language, math and sociology
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Quote Originally Posted by Sezh View Post
    During my 5 years at Uni, we never actively learned how to write reports and essays. We had no courses teaching us tips or tricks or methods. But we continued to write large essays during the 5 years. During my last year, I went back to check that "big" report I had written first year. It was pathetic. Maybe 15 pages long and the language and method felt childlike to me.
    I'm wondering though, most universities here have at least some formatting guidelines to help you. How they would like you to list your sources, other tiny tidbits that could be of use.

The Unstoppable Force breadisfunny's Avatar
    A lot of what we had/have is of no use at all. Like, I've never had use of knowing how to connect batteries parallel or serial. Never had any use of things taught in chemistry because those chemicals can't be bought by just anyone. PE? Wtf is that? Most of it is just people playing football anyways. What is taught there? Pretty much nothing. Art and music? What use is that? I'm shit at drawing and singing or playing instruments, it's as if those classes exist only to humiliate people. We also had a class on how to use computers. The teacher was less knowledgeable than us and couldn't teach us something we already didn't know.

i agree why do they bother to teach us such useless shit such as math,science,biology,literature,etc. that shit is for losers. psh home economics who the fuck needs to know how to prepare food?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Every thing you can learn or do at school is meant to keep your brain active and try to make you think. Some people learn differently or have different interests, so there are different options.

Because it’s not just because you can’t imagine a use for something doesn’t mean there isn’t.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

Hey, you need something to do while in daycare.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX
    People ignore chemistry until miss the wrong stuff in their house.
    Nyah, what could go wrong? https://www.thoughtco.com/chemicals-...ver-mix-606817

For bonus points, note that "bleach" may include things that you don't consider bleach:
    Chlorine bleach is sometimes called “sodium hypochlorite” or “hypochlorite.” You will encounter it in chlorine bleach, automatic dishwashing detergents, chlorinated disinfectants and cleaners, chlorinated scouring powder, mildew removers, and toilet bowl cleaners. Do not mix products together. Do not mix them with ammonia or vinegar.
    Source: https://www.thoughtco.com/common-hou...ixtures-607722
    Last edited by bungeebungee; 2019-05-06 at 09:32 AM. Reason: sourced quote
    "No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N
    Wtf? No weapons? xD What is this? Restricted training environment?
    Commenting on "anything goes" for martial arts and self defense

I would say that this thread is evidence of why some people think that there's no such thing as biological sex.

Biology is important to know, whether you need it or not.

Because it is parent's job to teach their children life skills not the school's. School is for preparing children for multitude of different future study options and eventually jobs.

School teaches you to learn. School is supposed to give you a well-rounded but fundamentally shallow understanding of most things. When you're twelve who's to say if you're gonna be a physicist or a retail assistant?

If you're genuinely complaining about having to learn things that you end up not needing, you're also complaining about giving an opportunity to learn these things that some will actually enjoy, or be inspired by, and go on to use.

These arguments generally come from a place of ignorance, it's kinda sad to see really.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    I get the feeling you're the kind of person that slept through economics, government and math classes and then complains because you weren't taught how to do your taxes.
    We have no economics or government classes in the high school program I attend. Do my taxes? You mean just pressing accept on skatteverkets homepage if you've had taxable income? That's not difficult at all.

What I have is English, maths, history, religion, social studies, naturkunskap, swedish as second language, health, medicine, psychiatry, psychology and other things related to healthcare I don't know how to translate. It's a path towards becoming a nurse or doctor if I continue to university or I can work as undersköterska, which I am going to do.
    Last edited by Avskildhet; 2019-05-06 at 09:01 AM.

With all honesty, a lot more *useless* stuff should be taught in schools. They shouldn't just be about a graded paper so a teacher can get a good rating for a report.

Too many skills and activities have been removed already, and we are suffering as a result for it imho.

Also, criticising PE? Seriously? For some kids, it is literally the only physical activity they get, it is essential with all honesty.
    Last edited by Howlrunner; 2019-05-06 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaderas View Post
    I'd say that, and the ability to think critically, is it's goal. However, how well current day schooling accomplishes that goal... well, depends on the school
    And the teacher (and their salaries) unfortunately. But if anyone had a better idea, I'm sure they'd have come up with it by now.
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.

But thoes chemistry lessons would not be "useless" if you decided to become a chemist. It would be hard to tailor your early education to just you and it would be especially problematic if you decided that you wanted to switch your focus at a later stage. Kids tend to do that. Besides, having at least a little knowledge of how the world works outside of your field of study or work is most likely a good thing.

I am sure that there are subjects that you could do without or with a lot less of such as learning instruments or even cooking and cleaning and such. There are also subjects that you could use more of such as basic economics. Changing the system takes time though. Even in a small country such as yours, it takes time and money to get things done and it generally does not give politicians that nice, juicy press that they love so spending time and effort on it is most likely not a priority in many cases.

It gets better and more focused when you reach college/university. Hang in there.

- - - Updated - - -

We have no economics or government classes in the high school program I attend. Do my taxes? You mean just pressing accept on skatteverkets homepage if you've had taxable income? That's not difficult at all.

What I have is English, maths, history, religion, social studies, naturkunskap, swedish as second language, health, medicine, psychiatry, psychology and other things related to healthcare I don't know how to translate. It's a path towards becoming a nurse or doctor if I continue to university or I can work as undersköterska, which I am going to do.
    See, this is a problem. Once you get older you'll hopefully see why. But do yourself a favor and pay attention during econimics class. Really!

Cause your too young to be on your own and your parents need someone to watch you till they are done working..

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Cause your too young to be on your own and your parents need someone to watch you till they are done working..
    Bitch, please. I've been coming home to an empty home since I was 12 and have been living on my own for a while now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    But thoes chemistry lessons would not be "useless" if you decided to become a chemist. It would be hard to tailor your early education to just you and it would be especially problematic if you decided that you wanted to switch your focus at a later stage. Kids tend to do that. Besides, having at least a little knowledge of how the world works outside of your field of study or work is most likely a good thing.

I am sure that there are subjects that you could do without or with a lot less of such as learning instruments or even cooking and cleaning and such. There are also subjects that you could use more of such as basic economics. Changing the system takes time though. Even in a small country such as yours, it takes time and money to get things done and it generally does not give politicians that nice, juicy press that they love so spending time and effort on it is most likely not a priority in many cases.

It gets better and more focused when you reach college/university. Hang in there.

- - - Updated - - -

See, this is a problem. Once you get older you'll hopefully see why. But do yourself a favor and pay attention during econimics class. Really!
    Maybe you should go back to school to learn to read. We have no economics classes.

https://www.skolverket.se/undervisni...5d35a5cdfa9295
    Last edited by Avskildhet; 2019-05-06 at 09:30 AM.

everyones talks about public school being " too liberal" but in the grade schools its actually the opposite, alot of these alt right people graduated or dropped out of school in the past 10 years where instead of focusing on anything rmeotely liberal arts related they forced you through standardized testing, and telling you you HAD to get a stem job to be successful, i think the problem is we got rid of those "SJW" classes everyone here hates like civics

Bitch, please. I've been coming home to an empty home since I was 12 and have been living on my own for a while now.
    That explains a lot.