Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Now that MAUs are dropping every quarter, is Blizzard allowed to stop reporting them?

Blizzard switched from WoW sub numbers to MAUs across all games, and its not surprising since WoW subs were dropping and MAUs were growing. But with MAUs dropping every quarter, are they allowed to stop reporting MAUs as well, or are they bound by some shareholder agreement to report this info no matter what?
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, ATVI can report whatever it damn well pleases within the law.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't MAU across all games? Because otherwise it'd literally be sub numbers.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    MAUs will rise this quarter due to the Hearthstone expansion and start of 8.2. Probably won't drop much for the next one because of 8.2 and Classic WoW.

...only if MMO-C is allowed to stop looking at the information and drawing ridiculous conclusions.

10+ Year Old Account
    30m seems high anyways to me. Wow is 2 to 5m probably closer to 2. Rest is mostly Overwatch and Hearthstone. Not shabby tbh.

I think they can report what they want, but it doesn't sound healthy for their games if they stopped reporting MAU. There's always a chance that it'll see an increase, maybe with 8.2, a new HS expansion or Classic WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I think they can report what they want, but it doesn't sound healthy for their games if they stopped reporting MAU. There's always a chance that it'll see an increase, maybe with 8.2, a new HS expansion or Classic WoW.
    Despite all the bitching about Diablo: Immortal if they count it in their Monthly Active Users when it comes out the metric will go up. A lot most likely. If the new Hearthstone expansion is any good and has some solid solo stuff in it, it will help the game a lot. I don't play because I can't be bothered to keep up with metas and the like. But give me something I can sit down with in front of the TV and work through at my own pace and I'm in. Add a solo first-person shooter mode to Overwatch (very unlikely) and I'll probably buy it after all these years.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-05-06 at 01:48 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Mau is for all the services and from what I hear Overwatch was the biggest loss(Not surprising either) and no I don't think they should stop reporting it but as the case of this forum, they overanalyze it or doomsay about it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Despite all the bitching about Diablo: Immortal if they count it in their Monthly Active Users when it comes out the metric will go up. A lot most likely. If the new Hearthstone expansion is any good and has some solid solo stuff in it, it will help the game a lot. I don't play because I can't be bothered to keep up with metas and the like. But give me something I can sit down with in front of the TV and work through at my own pace and I'm in.
    Until you log in and find that half the cards you had have been retired :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    That can make it rough to enjoy WoW pet battles too. They don't retire pets but they change and/or shuffle their abilities.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    You then sell them all for dust and make new cards, not really an issue like you make it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    30m seems high anyways to me. Wow is 2 to 5m probably closer to 2. Rest is mostly Overwatch and Hearthstone. Not shabby tbh.

You are forgetting that this counts King too. Meaning that all those Candy Crush players are counted and those numbers are huge. This is not good news for OW, WoW or any of their games. People always seem to neglect counting it.

if I log into the battlenet launcher but never actually launch a game does that count as a MAU?

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    You are forgetting that this counts King too. Meaning that all those Candy Crush players are counted and those numbers are huge. This is not good news for OW, WoW or any of their games. People always seem to neglect counting it.
    I try pointing this out to people, but they just put their fingers in their ears and say "lalalalalalalala prove it not real lalalalalalal".

CC had an INCREASE, which makes the overall loss even more dramatic. But hey, if it dont fit the agenda, you gotta just ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Casperite View Post
    You then sell them all for dust and make new cards, not really an issue like you make it out to be.
    I mean it's enough of an issue that I haven't reinstalled the game since they started retiring cards. Different strokes for different folks, my man.
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    I try pointing this out to people, but they just put their fingers in their ears and say "lalalalalalalala prove it not real lalalalalalal".

CC had an INCREASE, which makes the overall loss even more dramatic. But hey, if it dont fit the agenda, you gotta just ignore it.
    But this is 100% wrong. MAU's are reported out separately for Activision, Bizzard and King:

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ningsCallNew:4

Activision: 41,000,000
    Blizzard: 32,000,000
    King: 272,000,000
    Total: 345,000,000

Please be bothered to look next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    That can make it rough to enjoy WoW pet battles too. They don't retire pets but they change and/or shuffle their abilities.
    Yeah I can see that. I never got into the pet battles, personally, but it sounds frustrating for returning players.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    But this is 100% wrong. MAU's are reported out separately for Activision, Bizzard and King:

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ningsCallNew:4

Activision: 41,000,000
    Blizzard: 32,000,000
    King: 272,000,000
    Total: 345,000,000

Please be bothered to look next time.
    So when people quote the total they are not including CC? im confused about what you are trying to say.....we are all talking about the same data, so im not sure where the confusion comes from?

i mean if ppl wanna see just Blizzards over recent times, this post was good i think :

Q1: 26M
    Q2: 33M (Overwatch Launch)
    Q3: 42M (Legion Launch)
    Q4: 36M

Q1: 41M
    Q2: 46M (Peak of Overwatch & Hearthstone)
    Q3: 42M
    Q4: 40M

Q1: 38M
    Q2: 37M
    Q3: 37M (BfA Launch)
    Q4: 35M

Q1: 32M

but not sure what you are trying to say to be honest.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2019-05-06 at 02:39 AM.

No. Activision, Blizzard and candy crush have their own MAU metrics. the 30 million is blizzard alone.