Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The problem with these sorts of films is that they actually fall in the genre of disaster films (as do films like ID4, Jurassic Park, etc). The hook of disaster films is to see how ordinary people react to crazy things happening all around them. T1 was about watching Sarah Connor react. T2 was about watching young John Connor react. Those films worked because that was interesting. T3 was about watching John Connor's wife Kate Brewster react but I don't think the actress was able to carry it. T4 was a complete misstep and veered off into the far future which probably shouldn't happen as there was were no ordinary people left in the future. T5 was another misstep because none of the main cast were ordinary people reacting to crazy killer robots. T6 has a few new characters in the main cast, maybe they will be ordinary people reacting to killer robots but I don't know if they can carry the film.

I don't think the Terminator series should be shelved. I think the people in charge of the franchise simply don't understand the material and haven't for 2 films now.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyF1069 View Post
    A lot of people are hating on the idea of yet another Terminator movie, but don't seem to be considering that the guy who made T1 and T2 is the guy who is going to be bringing us HIS version of T3. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'll wait for reviews before committing to seeing it.
    I've been made suspicious about these, as I was glad Ridley Scott took back Alien and an actor from Predator 1 made The Predator.

Sure they'll try to re-install the tone of the original movies, but they still have to follow 2018/2019 social tendencies. And that's usually where the movies fall flat.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Ok I blame my ignorance on the subject then. How can a movie double their budget and yet still take a loss?
    Because of marketing costs and the fact that Studios don't take all the money from the Box office.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
    Well I am a fan of the franchise, so I probably shouldn't be skipping any. Wouldn't I miss out on lore if I skip Genysis?
    Not really, Dark Fate is said to basically retcon everything after T2 out of existence. If you really want to watch Genisys...just watch the trailer instead...it basically gives away the entire plot of the movie anyway.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Not sure why people hate having more things to watch so much >.<
    Because if we stop supporting shit products they will try to come up with original ideas

The original is a classic 1980s action film. Solid through and through, great stuff.
    T2 is excellent and a go-to example of what a sequel should be.
    T3 is dumb fun.
    Salvation is a bit of a hot mess, trying to do too much and muddling things that really don't need to be muddled.
    Genysieseyessi is awful and ends with a plot hole so bad it actually makes the movie impossible.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Sweet, I have enjoyed all of the Terminator Movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I never watched it but always heard it was very good. I'm afraid of really getting into it with the realization that there will never be any more made.
    Well, I think it's that good...so maybe you should avoid it.
    I'm kidding.
    See it...NOW!
    So you can join us in our resplendent misery.

I miss Sarah Connor Chronicles... =/

Yeah, gimme Sarah Connor Chronicles! It was a damn shame that the show ended.
    And now OP I am pissed at you cause you made me remember that

Quote Originally Posted by ls- View Post

That's all I have to say about terminator movies that came after T2, just let this franchise die T_T
    Lol right? It took me a minute to even remember films past the second one existed. And I don't think I'm even aware of any past the... 4th?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok I blame my ignorance on the subject then. How can a movie double their budget and yet still take a loss?
    Well lets take Warcraft as an example. The budget was 160 million to make the movie, but that is excluding the marketing which should be around 130-160 million for such a big movie. So lets say the total cost was 300 million. The movie made 433 world wide. But remember that the studio doesn't get the full cut, the movie theater takes some aswell and that is how Warcraft lost money. I think Duncan Jones (the director) said that the movie needed to make like 450 to break even, so it was close but in the end the studies are not making movies to "break even" they make movies so they can make money.

It varies from region to region, but the general rule of thumb is that the studio only gets ~50% of the box office ticket sales. Once you add in marketing and distribution you need to generally double your budget plus a little extra just to break even.

I just assumed the budget for a movie included things like marketing and what not. The more you know thanks guys.
    Yeah, the math gets a bit more complex...because the theater/studio split varies greatly by country... but that's basically the reason why a film like Batman v Superman, which actually made 875 million at the Box office, was considered a disappointment. It made money...but not nearly as much as they wanted it to (for comparison, in the same year, Captain America: Civil War, which had a comparable budget, made 1.1 billion and Deadpool, which only had about a quarter of the budget, made 783 million).
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    Just what the world needed. Another sequel to a movie series that hasn't been good for over a decade.
    Was everything post T3 really that bad? T3 was the last one I saw (I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as the first two, but I didn't think it was bad either). I kind of lost interest after T3 and never saw any of the ones after it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    Was everything post T3 really that bad? T3 was the last one I saw (I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as the first two, but I didn't think it was bad either). I kind of lost interest after T3 and never saw any of the ones after it.
    Everything post T2 was shit. T3 was fucking rubbish

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no fate but what we make
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

The Sarah Connor Chronicles is just $7.99 on Amazon so I just bought it. Will watch it sometime.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyF1069 View Post
    I'm very level headed with my enjoyment of movies. As long as I am stimulated I'm going to enjoy myself. A lot of movies that get bad reactions I've been able to enjoy. The matrix sequels, Star Wars I and II, X-Men 3 and so on. Terminator Genysis is the only movie I recall that made me angry from watching it. I've seen the first three Terminator movies (and yes I thought 3 was fine). I understand the lore, the consequences of time travel, the different models of Terminator (T-800/101, T-1000, T-X etc). Genysis doesn't make any sense. The action scenes whilst fine for what they are, don't do enough to make up for the shambles of a plot. It doesn't add anything of value to the existing lore and is best considered as non canon (which it now will be).

A lot of people are hating on the idea of yet another Terminator movie, but don't seem to be considering that the guy who made T1 and T2 is the guy who is going to be bringing us HIS version of T3. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'll wait for reviews before committing to seeing it.
    I think the issue is people are more concerned today with ai rather than some single killbot. It may not be possible to successfully continue a killbot franchise...even if done well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I think the issue is people are more concerned today with ai rather than some single killbot. It may not be possible to successfully continue a killbot franchise...even if done well.
    There might have been some interesting tales to tell if they did a "Walking Dead" series in the Terminator universe. The T-800 was a later model though and would not exist in such a series. It would just have outright killer robots walking about with poor AI. It would probably make more logical sense to do Walking Dead with terminators tho because zombies should crumble to dust fairly quickly, while SkyNet keeps sending waves of killer robots out to kill humans, each wave slightly stronger than the last. Maybe the first wave is a bunch of killer robots that cant handle stairs very well, are terrible in offroad environments, break down, etc. Then the second wave adapts to stairs better but can still be fooled. Third wave starts infiltrating forests pretty well but are still kinda dumb. Fourth wave handles stairs, forests, swamps and is a little smarter. Fifth wave starts making pretty good tactical decisions and now the stakes are getting pretty high. Sixth wave starts looking like the T-800. The refugees spend some years trying to build a defense and an organized military force to kill SkyNet before the robots get too smart and powerful.

5+ Year Old Account
    U got killbots in soooo many movies today that terminator franchise doesn't stand out like in the past..