Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast

7+ Year Old Account
    Warrior or Mage.

Arguments can be made for Lock and Rogue. But both of these fill niche rolls and will likely not be as productive as Warrior and Mage.

Hunters are very limited by gear scaling and will pretty much be invited to do specialty jobs such as pulls, kiting and tranq shot.

Ret, Enh, Feral as Cat, Shadow Priest may get you an invite. But don't expect one. Priests can spec to Shadow Weaving while still picking up Power Infusion(from Disc) which seems to be a fairly reasonable support spec. Shaman can spec down Enh tree to Imp Weapon Totems, but its going to hurt your mana regen and heal potency.(I would not recommend this spec for progression or early raids as mana regen is going to be tight)

Quote Originally Posted by seleri View Post
    If you're just going to play casually though, it's more about finding a guild that likes you than it is what class you play.
    OR you can play alliance as a dwarf heal priest.

Dwarf priests are the LEGION/BfA Warlocks, you dont NEED them, but you want to stack them for an easier raid.
    -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WashedUpRaider View Post
    except for the fact that warlocks around AQ40 start being on par or better than mages. Plus you're forgetting the benefit of several other curses, especially for melee dps, imp buff for tanks, soulstones, healthstones, etc.
    Imp. Buff is assuming that you force a warlock into playing SM/Ruin, Curse of Recklessness will often straight fuck your tank and can easily be substituted with one of your resto shamans picking up an armor debuff weapon.
    Soulstones and healthstones are good, aye, but not mandatory. AQ40 won't be released until probably a year after launch either way.

I also mained a warlock in Vanilla and I love the class, I'm not under any illusion that we're pretty expendable until AQ40.
    Though since we're not having progressive itemization, we might be a bit stronger in Classic with the few spells that won't be outright resisted because we can't get hit gear until ZG patch.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendChris View Post
    One that is friendly to other players & gets in a guild that likes you. Seriously, play what you want & make some friends. Unless you want to be in a hardcore raid, your friends will take with them even if you are a balance Druid. Hard core gaming is too much like work, who wants that?
    you do not sound like you ever played in classic

there is no such a thing as „hardcore“ and „casual“ in classic. because there are 2-3 hours long dungeons and 40m raids. thats it. no lfr, no matchmaking and NO crossrealm. so you can be sure as hell, IF a RL gets 40m together 2 times a week at a fixed time, he will NOT take anything with him, just because of guildies... maybe he will, for 1 or 2 evenings. then ppl wake up and realize that its classic.

either you get a raid spot (of this rare 2-3 raids that will exist per realm) or not. if not, you will play dungeons with strangers, while your guild raids. dungeons that last 2 hours or more. and these ppl will sort out special snowflake specs like hell.

ppl should have a nice cup of reality when it comes down to classic.

anyway, its completely useless to tell this some sort of ppl, because these ppl will stay in classic not longer than 2-3 months. this is more sure than every argument someone can bring up here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfrostzero View Post
    There were raiding ret paladins in vanilla.

Every class/spec can raid, but some were not desirable.
    yeah, the ret paladins that were summoned in for 10mins to buff, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Play a class you enjoy. Period. Then work to get the best gear you can, make sure you are always prepared with all the consumables and such. And lastly, show up and be dependable and don't complain about who gets what gear.

You will get a raid spot.
    this is so... omg.

did you ever played in vanilla ? on one of the not so big realms ? do you realize that we will have a 10th amount of players and raids, if even, on classic realms ? there will be realms where 1, in words ONE raid will exist. and you think that RL that get that 40 ppl together, that all ARE able to keep playing on a classic environment without leaving after 2-3 months, that RL will take every idiot with him, just because „play what you like“ ? you have to wake up man. seriously.

some ppl have such unrealistic imaginations. cheesus. classic servers will give you a hard time. for the 2-3 months before you ppl (thx god) will leave.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Given that 16+ years would be before WoW released, they most likely aren't.
    So eager you are to jump ontop of perceived fallacies, desperate and thirsty. Alas, it was merely a typo.
    15+ years, including the original beta.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Its pretty clear most posters did not play 14-15 years ago. And those who played full vanilla (MC, BWL, AQ with a progression guild) are even less. Damage Meter was used in MC vanilla and it was pretty clear how classes/specs performed in the raid. The "hybrid tax" was a thing and blizzard was OK with that.

The thing most people don't get when talking about vanilla is the time shift. 14-15 years ago WoW was the new hot shit and everyone with MMO experience tried it out. You had addons, guides, newsites since DAY-1 and the amount of players with a clear picture from late game was huge. Casual guilds had class officers helping slacker DPS since MC progression and pushing players to the bench if they did not improve. People got told to reroll if they did not manage to imporove - reroll in vanilla, was not done in a weekend.

How can anyone even think for a second, that classic with the current community would even come close to vanilla is beyond my imagination. What are you seeing from the current community? Buying M+ boost runs for the weekly chest because most are unable to participate in a fast and easy dungeon. And the shocker is, its widely accepted as a normal thing. Whats even worse, the prices for the boost remain constant, since the pool of sufficient skilled players is small even though gold is not worthless anymore.
    this.

assuming that these 1-3 raids that will even exists on classic server realms, and that really get it managed to bring that 40 ppl together on a fixed shedule, are sooooo faaaaar away from having that „hey my friend, play what you want, its ok“ mentality lol

a)
    it will be super sorted out, cause of the very very very few players that even keep playing there.

b)
    it will be super toxic. because toxic community of today + elitism + rare spots.

c)
    no cross realm. no matchmaking. just 40m raids and dungeons. there is no such thing like „casual“ or „hardcore“ playing. either you play „hardcore“ or you standing in front of the AH.

ppl really have to wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by psiko74 View Post
    What dps class should i play if i want a raid spot? I dont remember much about vanilla, i played a lock and it wasnt very fun.
    Which class/spec you want to play.
    Then you have to search a guild that will let you play that.

Playing a class you dont want only beacuse it is busted for PVE is a huge mistake.

What dps class should i play if i want a raid spot? I dont remember much about vanilla, i played a lock and it wasnt very fun.
    Well, I know what I will be playing => Fury Warrior.

I know it's difficult to get into dungeon groups as DPS. However even as a fury I can put on def gear and tank in dungeons (I've done it during Vanilla).

5+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much anything you want. The choice will reflect the level of the guild that has a space for you however.

Watch some videos and read up and see which one appeals to you most. I suspect that there will be even more people wanting to make ret paladins work for example in classic than there was in vanilla so you may find the niche / sub optimal raid spots more competitive and you'll need to stand out if thats the path you want to take.
    There will be a shit tonne of rogues and warriors though so there may be more mileage in niche!

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Its pretty clear most posters did not play 14-15 years ago. And those who played full vanilla (MC, BWL, AQ with a progression guild) are even less. Damage Meter was used in MC vanilla and it was pretty clear how classes/specs performed in the raid. The "hybrid tax" was a thing and blizzard was OK with that.

The thing most people don't get when talking about vanilla is the time shift. 14-15 years ago WoW was the new hot shit and everyone with MMO experience tried it out. You had addons, guides, newsites since DAY-1 and the amount of players with a clear picture from late game was huge. Casual guilds had class officers helping slacker DPS since MC progression and pushing players to the bench if they did not improve. People got told to reroll if they did not manage to imporove - reroll in vanilla, was not done in a weekend.

How can anyone even think for a second, that classic with the current community would even come close to vanilla is beyond my imagination. What are you seeing from the current community? Buying M+ boost runs for the weekly chest because most are unable to participate in a fast and easy dungeon. And the shocker is, its widely accepted as a normal thing. Whats even worse, the prices for the boost remain constant, since the pool of sufficient skilled players is small even though gold is not worthless anymore.
    People seem to think because they played with their IRL friends and made in-game friends that they'll now have "friends for life" again. I used to sit in trade for hours and just bullshit with people and got labeled a troll. I luckily had a good reputation for being a priest so it didn't effect me being groups, but just chatting with people angered other people.

I wouldn't say it was THAT accessible. I had an ax (still have it actually - Treant's Bane) from a Tribute Run that wasn't on Thotbot (premier item site) because the drop rate was so low. There were however, a lot of theorycrafting people on the forums trying to make sense of the insanity of Blizzard's spell rank system and spell/attack power conversions.

I think this stems from the idea that the game is casual. WoW is very friendly towards casuals, almost to a fault today (imo), but gone are the days of "oh I want to challenge myself" and improve their abilities and actually achieve it for themselves. I am guilty of this even. I used to want to be a Mythic raider and I did it for a time, got one Cutting Edge achievement, but after a fellow officer went off on me because I was going through some personal stuff, I am just happy getting AOTC and the occasional few Mythic boss kills above that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    Imp. Buff is assuming that you force a warlock into playing SM/Ruin, Curse of Recklessness will often straight fuck your tank and can easily be substituted with one of your resto shamans picking up an armor debuff weapon.
    Soulstones and healthstones are good, aye, but not mandatory. AQ40 won't be released until probably a year after launch either way.

I also mained a warlock in Vanilla and I love the class, I'm not under any illusion that we're pretty expendable until AQ40.
    Though since we're not having progressive itemization, we might be a bit stronger in Classic with the few spells that won't be outright resisted because we can't get hit gear until ZG patch.
    Most warlocks are playing SM/Ruin anyways in a raid (yes DS/Ruin is higher dps, but most people outside of hardcore raiding prior to AQ40 dont wanna respec everytime they wanna PvP etc ), especially at least 1 - because you want the imp buff for your tanks. Especially once you get into BWL and higher. Yes the itemization will help warlocks, once we get bloodvine especially. There's tons of videos out there from mid-late geared BWL warlocks being up there on dmg with warriors and rogues and mages. For some reason the myth that warlocks aren't good stuck with them from the early patches of vanilla till now.

- - - Updated - - -

People seem to think because they played with their IRL friends and made in-game friends that they'll now have "friends for life" again. I used to sit in trade for hours and just bullshit with people and got labeled a troll. I luckily had a good reputation for being a priest so it didn't effect me being groups, but just chatting with people angered other people.

I wouldn't say it was THAT accessible. I had an ax (still have it actually - Treant's Bane) from a Tribute Run that wasn't on Thotbot (premier item site) because the drop rate was so low. There were however, a lot of theorycrafting people on the forums trying to make sense of the insanity of Blizzard's spell rank system and spell/attack power conversions.

I think this stems from the idea that the game is casual. WoW is very friendly towards casuals, almost to a fault today (imo), but gone are the days of "oh I want to challenge myself" and improve their abilities and actually achieve it for themselves. I am guilty of this even. I used to want to be a Mythic raider and I did it for a time, got one Cutting Edge achievement, but after a fellow officer went off on me because I was going through some personal stuff, I am just happy getting AOTC and the occasional few Mythic boss kills above that.
    Sounds like you're just a sensitive little guy. To be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most warlocks are playing SM/Ruin anyways in a raid (yes DS/Ruin is higher dps, but most people outside of hardcore raiding prior to AQ40 dont wanna respec everytime they wanna PvP etc ), especially at least 1 - because you want the imp buff for your tanks. Especially once you get into BWL and higher. Yes the itemization will help warlocks, once we get bloodvine especially. There's tons of videos out there from mid-late geared BWL warlocks being up there on dmg with warriors and rogues and mages. For some reason the myth that warlocks aren't good stuck with them from the early patches of vanilla till now.
    Never said that warlocks weren't good, simply that you only really need one or two at most.
    And warlocks definitely do suffer pretty heavily pre-AQ40, which will likely be around a year on Classic servers before we can get any sort of hit rating worth talking about.

Also, keep in mind that since people know how well warlocks scale nowadays, you'll have more warlocks competing for those few spots.

Ranged? Mage
    Melee? Rogue

Those are the safest options.... the S Tier if you will. Warlocks, Hunters and Warriors would also be decent options.

One thing a lot of people seem to forget about Vanilla is how many specs simply weren’t viable until after they got raid gear... often combined gear from multiple raids. If you don’t want to deal with the horrible gearing process or playing a spec you don’t enjoy to gear the one you do then the safest DPS are above.

Sounds like you're just a sensitive little guy. To be honest.
    Sensitive because I chose to deal with real life problems over a fucking video game? You sure you might want to reflect on how childish you are before commenting on something you have no fucking idea what you are talking about? Troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    Never said that warlocks weren't good, simply that you only really need one or two at most.
    And warlocks definitely do suffer pretty heavily pre-AQ40, which will likely be around a year on Classic servers before we can get any sort of hit rating worth talking about.

Also, keep in mind that since people know how well warlocks scale nowadays, you'll have more warlocks competing for those few spots.
    Actually - im pretty sure you can get a pretty accurate distribution of classes by looking at the popular private servers, and you couldn't be more wrong. Especially on alliance side.

- - - Updated - - -

Sensitive because I chose to deal with real life problems over a fucking video game? You sure you might want to reflect on how childish you are before commenting on something you have no fucking idea what you are talking about? Troll.
    No. Sensitive because you let a fucking e-person calling you out for being dog shit at a game one night make you quit. You're just adding in personal reasons to make it sound like you chose life over your hobby, but we all know you just got fuckin rekt for wiping the raid on your 500th attempt.

No. Sensitive because you let a fucking e-person calling you out for being dog shit at a game one night make you quit. You're just adding in personal reasons to make it sound like you chose life over your hobby, but we all know you just got fuckin rekt for wiping the raid on your 500th attempt.
    Glad you're a psychic and know the exact details. Your troll powers are amazing. Care to teach me? Ah, never mind. You belong on ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    this is so... omg.

did you ever played in vanilla ? on one of the not so big realms ? do you realize that we will have a 10th amount of players and raids, if even, on classic realms ? there will be realms where 1, in words ONE raid will exist. and you think that RL that get that 40 ppl together, that all ARE able to keep playing on a classic environment without leaving after 2-3 months, that RL will take every idiot with him, just because „play what you like“ ? you have to wake up man. seriously.

some ppl have such unrealistic imaginations. cheesus. classic servers will give you a hard time. for the 2-3 months before you ppl (thx god) will leave.
    Is there only one raid on popular private servers? Puhleeze.

Classic will be WAY more popular than the most popular private server... and will have PLENTY of players obtaining raid level status. While you may have played Vanilla, you clearly are letting flawed private server experience cloud your judgement.

It is also true that today's gamers are more sophisticated... and will be able to more efficiently accomplish things in Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Play a class you enjoy. Period. Then work to get the best gear you can, make sure you are always prepared with all the consumables and such. And lastly, show up and be dependable and don't complain about who gets what gear.

You will get a raid spot.
    This answer is all you need, remember its a game that is meant to be played for fun so play what is fun for you, I find when folks play a character they like they will put more effort in and do better than a so called better class of same level played by someone who was made to play that class.

Mage or Rogue. Hunter if you want to put an effort.