Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

What dps class should i play if i want a raid spot?

What dps class should i play if i want a raid spot? I dont remember much about vanilla, i played a lock and it wasnt very fun.

High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account
    One that is friendly to other players & gets in a guild that likes you. Seriously, play what you want & make some friends. Unless you want to be in a hardcore raid, your friends will take with them even if you are a balance Druid. Hard core gaming is too much like work, who wants that?

Quote Originally Posted by psiko74 View Post
    I dont remember much about vanilla
    Perhaps you should do some general research then? There are plenty of class guides on youtube, for example.

Anything that isn't ret paladin.

10+ Year Old Account
    The classes that will ALWAYS have a spot are warriors, mages, rogues.
    You preferrably want several of each.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurabelle View Post
    Anything that isn't ret paladin.
    There were raiding ret paladins in vanilla.

Every class/spec can raid, but some were not desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    The classes that will ALWAYS have a spot are warriors, mages, rogues.
    You preferrably want several of each.
    You forgot hunters through at least AQ40 and Warlocks.

What dps class should i play if i want a raid spot? I dont remember much about vanilla, i played a lock and it wasnt very fun.
    Mage is a good choice. They do good dps and as I remember is not as gear dependant as e.g Warriors and Rogues. This will of cource make the gear competition less critical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WashedUpRaider View Post
    You forgot hunters through at least AQ40 and Warlocks.
    I did forget hunters.
    You can easily make due with just having one warlock though for CoE. Unless you specifically need several for some sort of Banish strat.

If you ever want to do world pvp (which is one of the biggest reasons to play vanilla), play a rogue. You will destroy everyone with raid gear.

Play a class you enjoy. Period. Then work to get the best gear you can, make sure you are always prepared with all the consumables and such. And lastly, show up and be dependable and don't complain about who gets what gear.

You will get a raid spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfrostzero View Post
    There were raiding ret paladins in vanilla.

Every class/spec can raid, but some were not desirable.
    Right, I figured he's asking which are desirable? Ret was only really used to buff kings (5min buff) on each person in a 40m group. By the time you buffed the 40th, you had to start rebuffing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your question shouldn't be what class, but what spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendChris View Post
    One that is friendly to other players & gets in a guild that likes you. Seriously, play what you want & make some friends. Unless you want to be in a hardcore raid, your friends will take with them even if you are a balance Druid. Hard core gaming is too much like work, who wants that?
    Basically this. Unless you're planning to push progression content, with 40 open raid slots you can usually fit yourself in if you're a positive element in the guild and do your best. If you're looking to raid hardcore as DPS, your best bets are fury warrior or one of the pure DPS classes.

If you can get your hands on Nightfall (a 2H Axe with a proc that significantly increases the target's spell damage taken with good uptime), you can pretty reliably score raid slots as that proc will be a godsend to the mages and warlocks in the raid.

But remember, above all, a raid lead is looking for the people he or she can rely on to show up on time, with consumables, enchanted gear, and specced for the night to avoid, say, Fire mages in Molten Core. If you're playing a suboptimal spec but make it a point to show up, ride out to the entrance, and show up prepared, you're going to get a slot in most guilds over the rogue who shows up late, demands a summon, and bums flasks off the raid.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Mage .. /YW

Quote Originally Posted by Laurabelle View Post
    Right, I figured he's asking which are desirable? Ret was only really used to buff kings (5min buff) on each person in a 40m group. By the time you buffed the 40th, you had to start rebuffing.
    It depends, every spec had some sort of thing that it could provide that made it have a plausible position in raid. I believe they introduced Greater Blessings in the Dire Maul patch along with greater spell books across the board?

Ret in particular saw an uptick in damage during Naxx due to a lot more spells being viable. Doesn't mean they were best choice, but I think any guild that is willing to put effort into gearing a less than desirable spec won't really notice too much. I think the biggest problem with Ret, Prot Paladin, Boomkin, Shadow Priest, and Ele shaman was the need for consumables. You really have to go full in if you want to be "competitive" which if people play Classic like they did originally, a less desirable spec player actually doing their job versus a desirable player AFK half the time, I would think the less desirable spec player would be more welcome.

I just don't look forward to the "lolret" whispers people will endure. I was harassed mercilessly in BC when I was playing Ret even though I was geared and doing great damage. People talk about how "great" classic was for community, but the community was just as toxic then.

lock is fun after BWL

So I guess you didnt raid much.
    Everyone that experienced raids in vanilla has some VERY strong memories.

I ll take a guess and say that its better for you to play mage as ranged dps is easier and mage dps is one button spam (mostly)! Its better than warlock with simpler gameplay and you will be always welcome in any raid.

Mage, warrior, and rogue will be the "always in demand" classes for raid DPS. If you want your class to never hinder your opportunities and you want to be damage, go one of those. Anything else will have an opportunity cost. "Sorry, our one ret slot is filled! You can holy, though!" "Oooh, we have an SPRIEST!" "Balance? lul, we have plenty of mages kthx!"

Will you be able to find a raid group as a scrub dps spec? Sure. Is it the type of raid you really want to be a part of? The one that takes anyone they can get their hands on because they can't get a full roster of top tier potential? Up to you to decide.

Been there, done that. I'm interested in whatever gets me 100% down on raid bosses on the release schedule they have proposed. Scrubbing around with a ton of bads and having to wear cloth armor as a paladin while healing people is not part of the equation this time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Frost Mage for ranged.
    You're going into Molten Core and Blackwing Lair, where just a ton of things are fire immune and shadow resistant.

Rogue for melee.
    Easier to gear than DPS warrior, at least if my 16+ year old memories of Classic are accurate.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Unless you are looking to be in a cutting edge raiding guild, play the class that is the best compromise of what you enjoy to play and what you can play well (hopefully, that will be one in the same).

I was extremely casual in Vanilla, and I still got into raids. The most important thing is to find a good guild that has the right attitude (i.e. let's have fun). In later expansions, I got into a couple of serious raiding guilds, and I hated every minute of those days. Games are meant to be fun, not another job.