Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    Ugh so many cringe "play what you want" "you are beatuiful the way you are" kind of answers.

The real answer is rouge, warr and mage. Thats the meta. That will maximize your chance of a raidspot.

My personal take: Mage rotation in pve is absolutly braindead. 1button frostbolt spamm 2.5sec cast.
    and in aq/naxx 3sec fireball spamm with the occasional scorch to keep the 30sec debuff up.
    Id pick rogue or warr for the more enjoyable dps rotation.
    one plus for mage thou is that they are byfar the best choice for dps in dungeons. good cc, good dps, frostnova can save so many situations in dungs, ranged interupt (not that many classes got that in vanilla), food/water.
    Warlock #1 dungeon dps... Saves you 30 minutes a run just in summons. :P

7+ Year Old Account
    If melee go for rogue if ranged hunter/mage/lock. I would prefer mage because ive played as mage in vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by WashedUpRaider View Post
    Warlock #1 dungeon dps... Saves you 30 minutes a run just in summons. :P
    this is the godamn truth. Randoms are so fucking slow.
    However, wont the summoning stones be there come classic? They were in at patch 1.12 werent they?
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    this is the godamn truth. Randoms are so fucking slow.
    However, wont the summoning stones be there come classic? They were in at patch 1.12 werent they?
    Summoning stones in classic allowed you to look for groups, but did not summon players until 2.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by WashedUpRaider View Post
    Summoning stones in classic allowed you to look for groups, but did not summon players until 2.0.1
    oh, private realms have clouded my memories i see.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

depends on the raid obviously, if it's a friendship guild you can get away with anything.

if it's a serious guild and you want to heal play a priest, if you want to tank play a warrior, if you want to be melee dps play a warrior or rogue, and if you want to be a caster dps play a mage or warlock.

serious guilds will use more than just those classes obviously, but they are the best to ensure a raid spot.

This would all be a non-issue if Blizzard would drop the respec fee as the one and only change, I mean it was a huge deterrent to most people back then to never try other builds or specs. At the very least give everyone a few free respecs a week and make them free before level 60.

Clearly you have to go balance druid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    This would all be a non-issue if Blizzard would drop the respec fee as the one and only change, I mean it was a huge deterrent to most people back then to never try other builds or specs. At the very least give everyone a few free respecs a week and make them free before level 60.
    Would agree, 50g is a bit much when you're having to respec 2-3 times per week.
    Efficient farming yields about 50-75g per hour. Don't think it should be "free", maybe just capped at 10g.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedSkull View Post
    Clearly you have to go balance druid.
    Absolutely.
    3/3 in Predatory strikes is a MUST for balance too.

Quote Originally Posted by J012D4N View Post
    Would agree, 50g is a bit much when you're having to respec 2-3 times per week.
    Efficient farming yields about 50-75g per hour. Don't think it should be "free", maybe just capped at 10g.
    Forcing someone to stay in their spec is not great game design, at least a few free a week would be fine. Most people don't want to farm that much for gold and never did. This is just going to make me stay enhancement and heal as an enhancement shaman and the raid will have to deal with it unless they want to pay for it.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mages and rogues get spots easily, but there's also large quantities of them already. Warlocks are less common and are still very much wanted.

Reality is that any dps class (including the dogshit hybrids) will get a spot as long as you're a decent player and allround nice person. I've never seen a hybrid declined. At worst they're asked to heal or tank for a few fights.

You can play whatever you want if you are online 18-23 every evening ready to raid.

Quote Originally Posted by psiko74 View Post
    What dps class should i play if i want a raid spot? I dont remember much about vanilla, i played a lock and it wasnt very fun.
    Your asking the wrong question. Every class gets a raid spot if yer not a dick lol. The real question is What class should you play if you want a spot in 5-mans. While basically any raid team that isn't a hardcore raid team will gladly take a Ret Pally or oomkin to a 40 man raid, good luck getting people to take you on 5-man runs. 5-man dungeons are critical to getting your pre-raid BIS which a lot of guilds will require before they will let you fill a slot.

For 5-mans the DPS classes that will get you a quick 5-man invite are Lock, Mage, Rogue, Warrior, Hunter. But even then i wouldn't not take an oomkin or retadin depending on the rest of the group. Especially if we dont have a pally healer, those pally buffs are sick. I might even take an oomkin if im desperate, hey that battle rez can save us.

You just have to be ready for some people to laugh at you if you don't play a full on DPS class when looking for 5-mans. But really when it comes to classic play what you think is fun. That's why i'm going Lock. I love being a support class that cans till dish out decent dps. The leveling is super fast and easy, and we get amazing Tier sets!

Man..
    I hope you future rets, enhancers, Boomkins, etc know what you are in for. Even IF your guild allows you to raid as one of these Hybrid DPS specs, you're going have to work twice as hard to do less DPS than pures who are half assing it. You will need to go tryhard and get every buff and consumable under the Sun, and even then a Rogue who maybe only has a flask up will out DPS you. I wish you the best of luck.

The only outlier is DPS Fury Warrior.
    I remember that in the early days the general attitude towards DPS Warriors was the same as against other hybrides. People would have rather that you just tanked. At least, on my realm/guild. But later on in Vanilla, after some theorycrafting and such Fury Warriors proved that by gearing with leather pieces and such, you could actually do good DPS. And it seems to just be general knowledge now, that Vanilla Fury is great and scales really well with gear.

Even having said all that. You're a Warrior. People would just rather that you tanked. It's still Vanilla WoW. You're still the only viable tank.
    Last edited by Vyomesh2; 2019-05-09 at 06:07 PM.
    Yohohoho

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Canield View Post
    Warrior or Mage.

Arguments can be made for Lock and Rogue. But both of these fill niche rolls and will likely not be as productive as Warrior and Mage.

Hunters are very limited by gear scaling and will pretty much be invited to do specialty jobs such as pulls, kiting and tranq shot.

Ret, Enh, Feral as Cat, Shadow Priest may get you an invite. But don't expect one. Priests can spec to Shadow Weaving while still picking up Power Infusion(from Disc) which seems to be a fairly reasonable support spec. Shaman can spec down Enh tree to Imp Weapon Totems, but its going to hurt your mana regen and heal potency.(I would not recommend this spec for progression or early raids as mana regen is going to be tight)
    I mean I raided from MC through to Naxx with 31 points in Ret. You literally only needed 15 points in holy to heal well enough. Most paladins I knew that raided back then weren't actually specced very far into holy even as Ret or Prot were better for anything outside of raid unless you were lucky enough to have all the spell damage gear and could go shockadin. Anyways Ret didn't dps in raids mostly due to aggro and the spiky damage. If they added crusader strike as a talent option in the tree and reduced the threat caused by SoC Ret would be alright for dps in raid. People might even like one or two just to keep wisdom and light judged all the time if there were more room for debuffs that is...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Forcing someone to stay in their spec is not great game design, at least a few free a week would be fine. Most people don't want to farm that much for gold and never did. This is just going to make me stay enhancement and heal as an enhancement shaman and the raid will have to deal with it unless they want to pay for it.
    I mean ... they probably won't take you if you're rolling ENH & filling in a healing slot. Right?
    That said, just raid ENH. Totem swap, have the guild help procure a Nightfall & run 21/30/0 (or X/31/X).

Quote Originally Posted by Gerron View Post
    I mean I raided from MC through to Naxx with 31 points in Ret. You literally only needed 15 points in holy to heal well enough.
    You need at least 20 points in Holy for Illumination, unless you really like to get carried by everyone else.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyomesh2 View Post
    Man..
    I hope you future rets, enhancers, Boomkins, etc know what you are in for. Even IF your guild allows you to raid as one of these Hybrid DPS specs, you're going have to work twice as hard to do less DPS than pures who are half assing it. You will need to go tryhard and get every buff and consumable under the Sun, and even then a Rogue who maybe only has a flask up will out DPS you. I wish you the best of luck.

The only outlier is DPS Fury Warrior.
    I remember that in the early days the general attitude towards DPS Warriors was the same as against other hybrides. People would have rather that you just tanked. At least, on my realm/guild. But later on in Vanilla, after some theorycrafting and such Fury Warriors proved that by gearing with leather pieces and such, you could actually do good DPS. And it seems to just be general knowledge now, that Vanilla Fury is great and scales really well with gear.

Even having said all that. You're a Warrior. People would just rather that you tanked. It's still Vanilla WoW. You're still the only viable tank.
    That's just for pure dps. But hybrids bring a lot more than that to the table.

Absolutely.
    3/3 in Predatory strikes is a MUST for balance too.
    And wield the biggest, baddest 2h str hammer you can find.

I mean ... they probably won't take you if you're rolling ENH & filling in a healing slot. Right?
    That said, just raid ENH. Totem swap, have the guild help procure a Nightfall & run 21/30/0 (or X/31/X).
    The will take me because I am funny as fuck and make people laugh in raid, I am bringing not just my class and spec but my personality.