Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemsa View Post
    Nope, in fact, classic its going to help WoW, in the way that Blizzard its going to revisited some older concepts that could work on retail.

    Sometimes, people need to see the past to understand the future.
    So far, only thing i saw them collecting from vanilla was GCDs that i honestly hate.

  2. #22
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Metachronopolis
    Posts
    28,894
    No.

    And it's not taking enormous resources to do classic. It's a very small team. The problems with BfA have nothing at all to do with lack of resources.
    To contact global moderators with moderation issues please PM any of the following:
    Tziva ■ Radux ■ Simca ■ Elysia ■ Zaelsino ■ xskarma ■ Arlee ■ Venara
    When people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.

  3. #23
    yes i do actually. it started a whole brigade of people shitting on wow even more because they were finally being accepted into the conversation again after years of telling them to screw . I remember when we used to crucify private server players, we used to berate them and ban them from wow reddit and whatnot. now, we accept them and blizz caved and gave them what they wanted. i played through vanilla. i have been playing since 6 months after the game launched and yet their constant shit talking of the main game continues. They also completely ignore all the bad of vanilla, for example itemization being shit, rotations being boring, etc. My biggest fear is them asking for more content to be added to classic and changing the lore. I hope blizzard never caves on that and at most gives them pristine servers or whatever bs they want to call it. I honestly wished for classic to be cancelled and just wanted for blizzard to attack private server communities and shut them down.

    edit: this is not to say that BFA is perfect and this amazing expansion. it has its issues and i realize that. but i can enjoy the game even with those issues. my main problem is being a damn adult and working and being tired more than i can play lol wish i had the free time like when i was a kid

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    No, they hired a separate team just for it.

    BfA suffered due to the devs own stupidity. Stupid systems, stupid story, worthless rewards etc...
    Exactly. Don't pin the failings of BFA on Classic. It's not fair.

    You succeed or fail on your own ground in this world.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    I wonder, they did say it would take enormous resources to do classic...

    What you guys think?
    They lied to you. They are doing Classic because it is dirt cheap.

    Now, this isn't to say that there was no work, but it is substantially less work than a new expansion. So, if they get 1 million or so new subs for a year, they will have made a very, very nice profit.

  6. #26
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Metachronopolis
    Posts
    28,894
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    They lied to you. They are doing Classic because it is dirt cheap.

    Now, this isn't to say that there was no work, but it is substantially less work than a new expansion. So, if they get 1 million or so new subs for a year, they will have made a very, very nice profit.
    It's still a large project but it's much smaller now than previously thought because some engineer came up with an idea on how to run it inside their current infrastructure. So it depends on your point of reference. They've been very up front from the start that fixing the database is a sizable project. They've also been upfront that figuring out how to run it on their infrastructure made it possible. Lie might be a strong word but again, it depends on your point of reference.

    Newman: What is that idea, that path? What was the turning point for you all in terms of saying, okay, this is now in the realm of feasibility?

    Brack: It was internal discussions, and it was kind of a thought about how we can move forward technically in a way that is not us managing two MMOs. And so—the thing that we’re going to try to do is to run the classic WoW on what we think of as the modern WoW infrastructure. That’s completely transparent to the user. The user doesn’t see how the server’s organized. The user doesn’t see how the database works. But that’s a huge part of how we think we can actually do this now.
    Source for those interested.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-05-06 at 07:04 PM.
    To contact global moderators with moderation issues please PM any of the following:
    Tziva ■ Radux ■ Simca ■ Elysia ■ Zaelsino ■ xskarma ■ Arlee ■ Venara
    When people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    and this is shared by 100% of all players who've ever played WoW at any point in time, right?
    Not at all. Some have depressingly low standards when it comes to combat, professions, class variety or story.

  8. #28
    Pretty sure Classic is at the moment a bigger priority than BfA simply because BfA has already lost 90% of it's appeal and the Classic nostalgia is huge. Even if the Classic run will just be for 1-2 months it's a lot more than BfA can generate at the moment.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again
    Vote #Jaina!
    #Proudmoore4AllianceLeader
    #ImwithHer2020

  9. #29
    No. Hopefully it has some influence in the next expansion though...

  10. #30
    Classic definitely came at the expense of releasing a good expansion. Of course the fanboys will say "they are different teams!" and Blizzard is more than capable of pulling off both, but the truth is that Classic comes at a great cost for what I believe will be little return. People that think Classic will bring back millions of players are delusional to put it simply.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
    Classic definitely came at the expense of releasing a good expansion. Of course the fanboys will say "they are different teams!" and Blizzard is more than capable of pulling off both, but the truth is that Classic comes at a great cost for what I believe will be little return. People that think Classic will bring back millions of players are delusional to put it simply.
    Except people in this very thread said Blizzard hired a whole new team for Classic while in the same sentence called BfA crap.
    Expansion leak claiming Legion is the last expansion
    Quote Originally Posted by golds
    NO it will be me laughing at how you doubted this....
    Quote Originally Posted by golds
    I was right

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Except people in this very thread said Blizzard hired a whole new team for Classic while in the same sentence called BfA crap.
    Do you realize that "hiring another team" costs money and resources of which Blizzard only has a finite amount? So it doesn't matter if they did get a whole new "different" team to do Classic, it still came at a cost of resources that could have been directed at their new expansion instead.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Bfa has had more stuff added then Proabbly any expan other then legion and cata, it’s unlikly Classic effected it. Hell it might even pass legion at this rate.
    quality > quantity
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

  14. #34
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Metachronopolis
    Posts
    28,894
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
    Do you realize that "hiring another team" costs money and resources of which Blizzard only has a finite amount? So it doesn't matter if they did get a whole new "different" team to do Classic, it still came at a cost of resources that could have been directed at their new expansion instead.
    "More resources" are not going to much change faulty system design. Most of the issues with BfA have more to do with design issues that were incomplete or faulty to start with. Throwing 10 more developers at that isn't going to fix anything.
    To contact global moderators with moderation issues please PM any of the following:
    Tziva ■ Radux ■ Simca ■ Elysia ■ Zaelsino ■ xskarma ■ Arlee ■ Venara
    When people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.

  15. #35
    The faults of BfA largely have to do with design philosophy and poor quality assurance, not with resources. There is no reason to believe classic had an effect. I am more concerned with 8.2 because this Naz'jatar is NOT the best their art team can do by far, but that is likely more of an issue of resources shifted to 9.0 or elsewhere than to Classic. I doubt much of the art team has to do work for Classic.

  16. #36
    Epic! Cidzor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    1,580
    No. Completely separate teams. There were no resources diverted from BfA to work on Classic. BfA's problems have nothing to do with Classic.

    If anything, I think there's a chance that Classic may influence future expansions if it's very successful (ie, maybe some people in charge at Blizzard will take a good, hard look at why Classic is so successful and start changing their ways). But I think it's too late for Classic to affect BfA in such a way.
    Last edited by Cidzor; 2019-05-07 at 12:26 PM.

  17. #37
    Titan Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    12,584
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    quality > quantity
    From a development stand point bfa is a much higher quality then most expans. More voice acting more new art more cutscenes ect ect. From every measure bfa both has more quality and quantity then most expans development wise showing that classic didn’t effect it.

    Rather you like it or not is a different issue.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    No, it did not. The reason BFA is the way it is is because Blizzard actually believed it would be great that way. In my oppinion BFA is a bad expansion, yes...but i would not call it a "low effort" expansion by any stretch. There is a lot of content. It is just not content i like.
    Any "low effort" type post is complete shitposting. The amount of work it takes to bring an expansion live is insane. I see lazy, low effort, and other such comments all the time used to infer the poster doesn't like the content or direction. It's OK to say you don't like something without attacking and name calling. But this is the internet and MMOChamp, so it wouldn't be a day with out it.

    I like most of What is BfA, it's just similar to WoD in my perspective that it doens't take me long to finish what I enjoy. Warfrotns take about 30 min, IEs take about an hour, Running WQs while waiting to raid takes about 15-20 min a night that I raid, and raiding takes us 6-9 hours a week. Outside of leveling Allied Races, and getting Heritage armors, I don't play the game. I can see where they missed the mark on some things. I don't act vitriolic over it and get hate boners like many here do, because it's just a fucking game. Nothing Blizzard could do besides cause bodily harm to me or my family, would get me to be as mad a many here. It's just not wroth it. I voice my opinion on the official forums, and through emails, and every chance I get when testing expansions. But in the end, they have a vision for the game and they stick to it. If it doesn't work out they change it. I see no need to make whole sale changes in the middle of an expansion.

  19. #39
    Yes, because the "Lol I'm waiting for Classic anyone that likes Retail is a blind fanboi!!" Manchildren that turned these forums even more toxic than previously would've been a lot easier to ignore when all they had to talk about was Private servers.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Pretty sure Classic is at the moment a bigger priority than BfA simply because BfA has already lost 90% of it's appeal and the Classic nostalgia is huge. Even if the Classic run will just be for 1-2 months it's a lot more than BfA can generate at the moment.
    Is a bit odd watching an older version of the game generating more hype than the current one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •