Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    yes i do actually. it started a whole brigade of people shitting on wow even more because they were finally being accepted into the conversation again after years of telling them to screw . I remember when we used to crucify private server players, we used to berate them and ban them from wow reddit and whatnot. now, we accept them and blizz caved and gave them what they wanted. i played through vanilla. i have been playing since 6 months after the game launched and yet their constant shit talking of the main game continues. They also completely ignore all the bad of vanilla, for example itemization being shit, rotations being boring, etc. My biggest fear is them asking for more content to be added to classic and changing the lore. I hope blizzard never caves on that and at most gives them pristine servers or whatever bs they want to call it. I honestly wished for classic to be cancelled and just wanted for blizzard to attack private server communities and shut them down.

edit: this is not to say that BFA is perfect and this amazing expansion. it has its issues and i realize that. but i can enjoy the game even with those issues. my main problem is being a damn adult and working and being tired more than i can play lol wish i had the free time like when i was a kid

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    No, they hired a separate team just for it.

BfA suffered due to the devs own stupidity. Stupid systems, stupid story, worthless rewards etc...
    Exactly. Don't pin the failings of BFA on Classic. It's not fair.

You succeed or fail on your own ground in this world.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    I wonder, they did say it would take enormous resources to do classic...

What you guys think?
    They lied to you. They are doing Classic because it is dirt cheap.

Now, this isn't to say that there was no work, but it is substantially less work than a new expansion. So, if they get 1 million or so new subs for a year, they will have made a very, very nice profit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    They lied to you. They are doing Classic because it is dirt cheap.

Now, this isn't to say that there was no work, but it is substantially less work than a new expansion. So, if they get 1 million or so new subs for a year, they will have made a very, very nice profit.
    It's still a large project but it's much smaller now than previously thought because some engineer came up with an idea on how to run it inside their current infrastructure. So it depends on your point of reference. They've been very up front from the start that fixing the database is a sizable project. They've also been upfront that figuring out how to run it on their infrastructure made it possible. Lie might be a strong word but again, it depends on your point of reference.

Newman: What is that idea, that path? What was the turning point for you all in terms of saying, okay, this is now in the realm of feasibility?

Brack: It was internal discussions, and it was kind of a thought about how we can move forward technically in a way that is not us managing two MMOs. And so—the thing that we’re going to try to do is to run the classic WoW on what we think of as the modern WoW infrastructure. That’s completely transparent to the user. The user doesn’t see how the server’s organized. The user doesn’t see how the database works. But that’s a huge part of how we think we can actually do this now.
    Source for those interested.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-05-06 at 07:04 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    and this is shared by 100% of all players who've ever played WoW at any point in time, right?
    Not at all. Some have depressingly low standards when it comes to combat, professions, class variety or story.

Pretty sure Classic is at the moment a bigger priority than BfA simply because BfA has already lost 90% of it's appeal and the Classic nostalgia is huge. Even if the Classic run will just be for 1-2 months it's a lot more than BfA can generate at the moment.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

No. Hopefully it has some influence in the next expansion though...

Classic definitely came at the expense of releasing a good expansion. Of course the fanboys will say "they are different teams!" and Blizzard is more than capable of pulling off both, but the truth is that Classic comes at a great cost for what I believe will be little return. People that think Classic will bring back millions of players are delusional to put it simply.

Quote Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
    Classic definitely came at the expense of releasing a good expansion. Of course the fanboys will say "they are different teams!" and Blizzard is more than capable of pulling off both, but the truth is that Classic comes at a great cost for what I believe will be little return. People that think Classic will bring back millions of players are delusional to put it simply.
    Except people in this very thread said Blizzard hired a whole new team for Classic while in the same sentence called BfA crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Except people in this very thread said Blizzard hired a whole new team for Classic while in the same sentence called BfA crap.
    Do you realize that "hiring another team" costs money and resources of which Blizzard only has a finite amount? So it doesn't matter if they did get a whole new "different" team to do Classic, it still came at a cost of resources that could have been directed at their new expansion instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Bfa has had more stuff added then Proabbly any expan other then legion and cata, it’s unlikly Classic effected it. Hell it might even pass legion at this rate.
    quality > quantity
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
    Do you realize that "hiring another team" costs money and resources of which Blizzard only has a finite amount? So it doesn't matter if they did get a whole new "different" team to do Classic, it still came at a cost of resources that could have been directed at their new expansion instead.
    "More resources" are not going to much change faulty system design. Most of the issues with BfA have more to do with design issues that were incomplete or faulty to start with. Throwing 10 more developers at that isn't going to fix anything.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    No. Completely separate teams. There were no resources diverted from BfA to work on Classic. BfA's problems have nothing to do with Classic.

If anything, I think there's a chance that Classic may influence future expansions if it's very successful (ie, maybe some people in charge at Blizzard will take a good, hard look at why Classic is so successful and start changing their ways). But I think it's too late for Classic to affect BfA in such a way.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-05-07 at 12:26 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    quality > quantity
    From a development stand point bfa is a much higher quality then most expans. More voice acting more new art more cutscenes ect ect. From every measure bfa both has more quality and quantity then most expans development wise showing that classic didn’t effect it.

Rather you like it or not is a different issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    No, it did not. The reason BFA is the way it is is because Blizzard actually believed it would be great that way. In my oppinion BFA is a bad expansion, yes...but i would not call it a "low effort" expansion by any stretch. There is a lot of content. It is just not content i like.
    Any "low effort" type post is complete shitposting. The amount of work it takes to bring an expansion live is insane. I see lazy, low effort, and other such comments all the time used to infer the poster doesn't like the content or direction. It's OK to say you don't like something without attacking and name calling. But this is the internet and MMOChamp, so it wouldn't be a day with out it.

I like most of What is BfA, it's just similar to WoD in my perspective that it doens't take me long to finish what I enjoy. Warfrotns take about 30 min, IEs take about an hour, Running WQs while waiting to raid takes about 15-20 min a night that I raid, and raiding takes us 6-9 hours a week. Outside of leveling Allied Races, and getting Heritage armors, I don't play the game. I can see where they missed the mark on some things. I don't act vitriolic over it and get hate boners like many here do, because it's just a fucking game. Nothing Blizzard could do besides cause bodily harm to me or my family, would get me to be as mad a many here. It's just not wroth it. I voice my opinion on the official forums, and through emails, and every chance I get when testing expansions. But in the end, they have a vision for the game and they stick to it. If it doesn't work out they change it. I see no need to make whole sale changes in the middle of an expansion.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, because the "Lol I'm waiting for Classic anyone that likes Retail is a blind fanboi!!" Manchildren that turned these forums even more toxic than previously would've been a lot easier to ignore when all they had to talk about was Private servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Pretty sure Classic is at the moment a bigger priority than BfA simply because BfA has already lost 90% of it's appeal and the Classic nostalgia is huge. Even if the Classic run will just be for 1-2 months it's a lot more than BfA can generate at the moment.
    Is a bit odd watching an older version of the game generating more hype than the current one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Do you really think a small side project ravaged a bajillion dollar studio like that?

knowing blizzard probably

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    No. Completely separate teams. There were no resources diverted from BfA to work on Classic. BfA's problems have nothing to do with Classic.

If anything, I think there's a chance that Classic may influence future expansions if it's very successful (ie, maybe some people in charge at Blizzard will take a good, hard look at why Classic is so successful and start changing their ways). But I think it's too late for Classic to affect BfA in such a way.
    Classic/vanilla was successful for a variety of reason and many of those are still around in WoW today. It was accessible. It didn't punish you for dying. It rewarded you for logging off. Instanced dungeons. Intuitive. Combat and movement flowed better than any other MMO out there at the time and still does today. The fact you could solo your way to level cap was huge. The biggest game before, EQ, which WoW surpassed in total players just weeks after launch, solo levelers would hit a wall and be required to group up due to the insane difficulties mobs presented.

Many of those things were since copied by older and newer MMOs becasue they became industry standards, as well as many of the other QoL and accessibility improvements. The problem WoW had after WotLk was a world wide recession, a huge rise in MOBAs, tons of other competition, and the fact the majority of players only seemed to know about WC3 and left after Arthas was killed. Those along with trying new things to keep the game from being stale left sour tastes in people mouths.

But the core that made the game popular is still there.

BFA being bad is simply because of all the bad design decisions they made. It has nothing to do with a lack of resources.