Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Do you think Classic affected BFA?

I wonder, they did say it would take enormous resources to do classic... and if i remember Cata right, BFA is roughly the size of the 5 zones we got, but they managed to remake most of Azeorth as well, so they achieved so much more in Cata overall.

What you guys think?

5+ Year Old Account
    Nope, in fact, classic its going to help WoW, in the way that Blizzard its going to revisited some older concepts that could work on retail.

Sometimes, people need to see the past to understand the future.

No. Separate teams.

Stop trying to pin BFAs faults on another area within Blizzard. It's on the retail dev team.

No, it did not. The reason BFA is the way it is is because Blizzard actually believed it would be great that way. In my oppinion BFA is a bad expansion, yes...but i would not call it a "low effort" expansion by any stretch. There is a lot of content. It is just not content i like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Different teams.

The only thing classic is going to help with is subscriber numbers.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Different teams.

The only thing classic is going to help with is subscriber numbers.
    For a short time.

5+ Year Old Account
    How many resources do you think would make BfA work? It's one bad decision after the other. If Ion has no idea what makes a game fun, unlimited resources wouldn't help him.

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    I wonder, they did say it would take enormous resources to do classic... and if i remember Cata right, BFA is roughly the size of the 5 zones we got, but they managed to remake most of Azeorth as well, so they achieved so much more in Cata overall.

What you guys think?
    Depends on what you mean. BfA specifically, probably not at all. WoW overall, most likely. I doubt they have entirely separately teams. Most likely some teams now have to support Classic as an addition. For example, the backend/servers.

They still make a billion dollars every year with their MMORPG. I do not really believe their resources are more limited. It is more about having a higher ROI.

not really, let's see why:

classic will probably be released in the content gap between BFA and 9.0, naturally all expansions see a drop in subs during that transition, classic will keep some extra subs during that time, will bfa see a somewhat higher number of players leaving it after doing whatever they wanted to do in order to try classic? well maybe, but who cares

by the time 9.0 with it's new shinies is released classic will be an exotic realm for exotic species, only a small number of dedicated players will remain, the rest of the flock will be back to normal, except some heroes who will play live during the action periods and keep slowly progressing a classic toon during content draughts

that's what classic is basically: a filler for content draughts

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post

What you guys think?
    I think it was more of a hassle getting the code to work again with classic. Its not like they rebuildt everything from the ground up again with art, zones etc.

They had a small team working on that for a long time. The coding was the biggest issue and they probably had very good people on it.

I really doubt it has effected BfA at all. If anything, theres LOTS of content in BfA, people just dont seem to enjoy doing it.

Personally I think classic wow will help the game overall(Both classic & retail). It will keep people interested & invested in the wow universe and now we can dab into the classic and retail world on the same sub. Perfect!

Nope, different teams, they recruited folk for Classic development. Classic also has the boon of them knowing where shit goes and access to models and textures from that time already in place.

And no matter how much people try to spin it, BfA is in no shape or form less developed than WoD was. Not even close. It's clearly an expansion receiving all the development of Legion, just with many poor design decisions. And now it's confirmed they're getting more developers, not fewer, for the future. If BfA raises the bar for mediocre/bad WoW expansions, it's pretty damned amazing for a 15 year old title.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2019-05-06 at 05:09 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Bfa has had more stuff added then Proabbly any expan other then legion and cata, it’s unlikly Classic effected it. Hell it might even pass legion at this rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanu View Post
    not really, let's see why:

classic will probably be released in the content gap between BFA and 9.0, naturally all expansions see a drop in subs during that transition, classic will keep some extra subs during that time, will bfa see a somewhat higher number of players leaving it after doing whatever they wanted to do in order to try classic? well maybe, but who cares

by the time 9.0 with it's new shinies is released classic will be an exotic realm for exotic species, only a small number of dedicated players will remain, the rest of the flock will be back to normal, except some heroes who will play live during the action periods and keep slowly progressing a classic toon during content draughts

that's what classic is basically: a filler for content draughts
    well both yes and no. I think alot of people will play classic, alot of people that played it back in the day and new ones. Whats changed for the veteran/older players now is that we cant commit the same amount of hours into it as back then. This means everything is going to go even slower than it did back then, so content will therefore be paced slow.

If you have 10 hours to play today, you get pretty far in retail wow while leveling each week. 10 hours a week in classic? it will take months before you reach max level.

Alot of people will play classic and they will do so for a long time. Its also the perfect game to play between content drought in retail. New stuff in retail? Better check that out for a while. Oh im done? Then I can go level my Paladin!

Alot of people love warcraft and azeroth, classic will be enjoyed by alot of people for a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Nope, different teams, they recruited folk for Classic development. Classic also has the boon of them knowing where shit goes and access to models and textures from that time already in place.

And no matter how much people try to spin it, BfA is in no shape or form less developed than WoD was. Not even close. It's clearly an expansion receiving all the development of Legion, just with many poor design decisions. And now it's confirmed they're getting more developers, not fewer, for the future. If BfA raises the bar for mediocre/bad WoW expansions, it's pretty damned amazing for a 15 year old title.
    One of the reasons they struggle now is probably because they tro to reinvent the game each xpac. Its not just new lvls, zones, quests, creatures and alot more, its also class and many other design decisions they want to try out thinking "this will be popular".

They do it every xpac. Some fail, some are a success.

Obviously BfA failed in many aspects. Theres lots of content there, but people just dont enjoy it.

I think it affected BfA PATCHES in a good way. Blizzard realized with the feedback people have to Classic development that having a more communicative team and having more fun wonky items and things in the game works well with the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    How many resources do you think would make BfA work? It's one bad decision after the other. If Ion has no idea what makes a game fun, unlimited resources wouldn't help him.
    Hey, good thing there's one single universally accepted idea of what the word "fun" means and this is shared by 100% of all players who've ever played WoW at any point in time, right?

OT: No.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only way it may have is the Devs feel more free to break tradition because "if you liked the old way, Classic is there for you."
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    No, they hired a separate team just for it.

BfA suffered due to the devs own stupidity. Stupid systems, stupid story, worthless rewards etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Kemsa View Post
    Nope, in fact, classic its going to help WoW, in the way that Blizzard its going to revisited some older concepts that could work on retail.

Sometimes, people need to see the past to understand the future.
    So far, only thing i saw them collecting from vanilla was GCDs that i honestly hate.

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

And it's not taking enormous resources to do classic. It's a very small team. The problems with BfA have nothing at all to do with lack of resources.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."