View Poll Results: High warlord / Grand Marshal grind?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm that awesome.

    19 14.84%
  • No, too much PVP 4 me

    109 85.16%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    It's actually a very hard grind for some people. It requires a special kind of mental fortitude because most people dislike what they're doing. I've ranked with my fair share of people going for rank 14, and while I would stop at rank 13, I would watch some of those people becoming more of a mess every day that went by.

    I can also tell you that some people that completed the grind kinda hated themselves for it and would quit a few days after doing it.

    The most important aspect of ranking to 14 is finding a good group to do so with. Not just skilled people, but also a group of non-toxic players that understand the grind and everyone else that they're playing with
    you require 0 skill for it, only fortitude... I got invited to one of those rotation groups because all I did was being afk in BGS while I watched youtube.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    you require 0 skill for it, only fortitude... I got invited to one of those rotation groups because all I did was being afk in BGS while I watched youtube.
    In the beginning it's a bit skill based before you start establishing your premade as unbeatable but as the weeks fly by it starts being more people than defeating players. By that point you're running flags 24/7, capping 5 bases in 1 minute rather than fighting any players.

    The rank to 14 is more of a social-grind than a skill based grind. You'll be dealing with the same people for weeks on end 10+ hours every day

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    In the beginning it's a bit skill based before you start establishing your premade as unbeatable but as the weeks fly by it starts being more people than defeating players. By that point you're running flags 24/7, capping 5 bases in 1 minute rather than fighting any players.

    The rank to 14 is more of a social-grind than a skill based grind. You'll be dealing with the same people for weeks on end 10+ hours every day
    Dunno, maybe my server were low populated and didn't have big pvp scene... reason I got invited was because I got standing 2-4 something like that a week or two. Only by afking while doing other things.

  4. #24
    The Lightbringer SinR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    My Own Personal Hell
    Posts
    3,076
    I got to Commander (Rank 11) back in the day. Helped people get GM/HWL though. One of the dudes we were working on GM with was doing it all himself. Between queues he'd drop down to his own Vent channel and when it'd pop we'd drag him up to us and yell to wake him up.

    The secret to Rank 14 was either (A) destroy your mental stability by playing nearly 24/7 or (B) Account Share. LOTS Took Option B
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

    Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I had BfA Alpha. Then I had BfA Beta. Now I has BfA. Meh
    No Classic Beta. Even if I got it I probably wouldn't play.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    It's actually a very hard grind for some people. It requires a special kind of mental fortitude because most people dislike what they're doing. I've ranked with my fair share of people going for rank 14, and while I would stop at rank 13, I would watch some of those players becoming more of a mess every day that went by.

    I can also tell you that some people that completed the grind kinda hated themselves for it and would quit a few days after doing it.

    The most important aspect of ranking to 14 is finding a good group to do so with. Not just skilled people, but also a group of non-toxic players that understand the grind and everyone else that they're playing with
    That's not really what most people perceive as hard. Hard is something that you don't achieve with time, it is challenging with skill. By the sounds of things R14 is MOSTLY about time.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendChris View Post
    How about this one? High warlord / Grand Marshal? Have you got it in you? I think not for me.
    Both positions are entirely political. If you ever played vanilla you would know the top groups will block random people from getting it so their groups are the first.

    Top groups will avoid playing each other and farm off the lower ranks
    Last edited by xpose; 2019-05-06 at 07:58 PM.

  7. #27
    voted yes but already have gm on my hunter,honestly at my age now i dont think ill make it again but will try.

  8. #28
    Not gonna go for R13-14 for sure. Maybe R10-11 tops, cant have it all and Im 100% fine with that, thats how proper MMO rolls.

  9. #29
    Field Marshal Gerron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    A place
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    It didn't work like that. You were just unable to buy it if you dropped below the rank. You never lost the ability to use it.
    Patch 1.6.0

    Honor system reward items with a rank requirement will now require a lifetime "highest rank" of that rank, rather than requiring the character to currently have the required rank.

    While you didn't lose the item you did lose the ability to equip it before patch 1.6.0 if you de-ranked below the item's required rank. Hopefully they'll add the improvements they made later in vanilla to Classic as they really made the system better but this did exist in vanilla for a patch or two.

    Also just gonna get rank 11. Did the grind when I was much younger, not interested in spending that much time trying again.
    Last edited by Gerron; 2019-05-06 at 09:35 PM.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerron View Post
    Patch 1.6.0

    Honor system reward items with a rank requirement will now require a lifetime "highest rank" of that rank, rather than requiring the character to currently have the required rank.

    While you didn't lose the item you did lose the ability to equip it before patch 1.6.0 if you de-ranked below the item's required rank. Hopefully they'll add the improvements they made later in vanilla to Classic as they really made the system better but this did exist in vanilla for a patch or two.

    Also just gonna get rank 11. Did the grind when I was much younger, not interested in spending that much time trying again.
    Bro, that's buying, not equipping. That was changed because the sets got updated stats which were not applied retro actively, so people with lifetime rank 13 couldn't buy the updated set. They changed it so they could
    Last edited by tikcol; 2019-05-06 at 09:46 PM.

  11. #31
    I love PvP, i will rush till lvl 10-11, but im not going to put the time and grind (16-18h/day grinding honor with most of time in premade) that last ranks demand to reach them.
    WoW Player 2005-2014 2016-2019
    TBC > Classic > WotLK=Cata=Legion > MoP > BfA > WoD

  12. #32
    Are they legit releasing the gear in p2 with the updated stats?

    Dumb move imo, no reason not to increase it at the appropriate time. I think that was the gist of JustRobs thread, but I may have misunderstood.

    I think that was (and at least was emulated on some pirate servers) the point at which you had to regrind the rank in order to purchase the upgraded sets; but that may well have been an unintentional bug and not how it was meant to (or indeed *did*) pan out in the original game. But it might explain where the myth of "You had to maintain the rank/regrind it to equip the gear" came from, because I've seen that mentioned a lot.

    OT: I sincerely doubt it but I suspect if I do play a lot of Classic I'll "semi-casual" my way up to rank 10 and maybe then push to hit 11. It really all depends on how it all actually plays out when it's live, I've outlined my concerns about it in other threads, and if socially bankrupt mafias start trying to server-blacklist you for having more free time than them then the whole thing turns very sour very quickly. So we'll see. If they use multiple-server battlegroups (or even all servers-queue-as-one) they will help reduce the impact these mafias could have at least in terms of win-trading; but at the cost of "player identity" in the servers communities. Any suggestion that player behaviour like win-trading is going to be manually monitored by GMs is at this point wishful thinking; but wishes sometimes come true I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Damnit hubcap, you are such a retard.
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Trebuchets new meta.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Are they legit releasing the gear in p2 with the updated stats?

    Dumb move imo, no reason not to increase it at the appropriate time. I think that was the gist of JustRobs thread, but I may have misunderstood.

    I think that was (and at least was emulated on some pirate servers) the point at which you had to regrind the rank in order to purchase the upgraded sets; but that may well have been an unintentional bug and not how it was meant to (or indeed *did*) pan out in the original game. But it might explain where the myth of "You had to maintain the rank/regrind it to equip the gear" came from, because I've seen that mentioned a lot.

    OT: I sincerely doubt it but I suspect if I do play a lot of Classic I'll "semi-casual" my way up to rank 10 and maybe then push to hit 11. It really all depends on how it all actually plays out when it's live, I've outlined my concerns about it in other threads, and if socially bankrupt mafias start trying to server-blacklist you for having more free time than them then the whole thing turns very sour very quickly. So we'll see. If they use multiple-server battlegroups (or even all servers-queue-as-one) they will help reduce the impact these mafias could have at least in terms of win-trading; but at the cost of "player identity" in the servers communities. Any suggestion that player behaviour like win-trading is going to be manually monitored by GMs is at this point wishful thinking; but wishes sometimes come true I guess.
    yea, all gear with 1.12 stats including pvp sets. Dumb move indeed

  14. #34
    Going slightly off-topic, does anyone remember if your PvP title was demoted if you dropped a rank from decay &/or a lack of participation OR did you always retain your highest rank PvP title once earned?

  15. #35
    I might not require skill, but it does require a LOT of dedication.

    Old D&D player, turned WoW addict. Live streaming Classic WoW.
    [About Me] [My Classic Blog]
    My battletag is: RevChris#1597

  16. #36
    That's alot times and works to put in to get it...

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendChris View Post
    I might not require skill, but it does require a LOT of dedication.
    Doesn't require skill, but anyone who put that much time into that game is bound to learn a few things in the process. So they will be a better player for achieving Grand Marshal / HWL regardless. And especially back in the day since there was no forced grouping, skill would help for solo honor farming.

  18. #38
    Too much PvP? lol, more like too much playing the game. I can't and don't want to abandon my real life.

  19. #39
    even If I had no life and had all the time in the world I still wouldn't do rank 14 grind.

    grinding BG's in a premade for easy wins for 16 hours a day is way too fucking boring

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Antility View Post
    even If I had no life and had all the time in the world I still wouldn't do rank 14 grind.

    grinding BG's in a premade for easy wins for 16 hours a day is way too fucking boring
    I did it back in early 2006, and the thing I liked most about it was that it was mostly my ticket to a good (Aq40/Naxx40) raiding guild. Some people did the grind, burned out, and stopped playing after, but for me personally the rest of vanilla I was able to reap the rewards by raiding with a good guild, and look good while doing so in the rank 14 gear.

    Though yeah, the rank 14 gear gets replaced by late AQ40 and certainly Naxx40 gear, but I still raided with it for a few weeks/months while I built up my dkp to afford that Naxx gear. You would still probably use the epic PvP gear for PvP though because it was stamina-heavy (or at the very least 2 pieces for the +20 stam bonus). Keep in mind in vanilla, there was no resilience, so stamina was really your only survivability stat back then.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •