Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Things we did for thousands of years that worked well enough.
    You know what also worked for thousands of years? Taking the damaged kids out into the forest and leaving them.

All of a sudden you're happy with modern 'liberal' sensibilities, aren't you.
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    I'm pretty sure urbanization in the US has held steady at about 80:20. So I wouldn't expect much change in that. There's always going to be a need for a local economy in less populated regions, especially agricultural areas.
    But what urbanization means and, more specifically, what that urbanization looks like, has changed.

Progress in the US means finding new ways to expedite the burger production line. Eventually, the population becomes too obese to take all the shitty trans fat they're being fed, so things can't improve much further, and the brains leave.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Knight View Post
    But what urbanization means and, more specifically, what that urbanization looks like, has changed.
    I thought it just refers to higher levels of density. For more urbanization we would need to build skyward but building projects are more complicated as they become multi-story. It's way easier to move outward and people are often happier when we have more personal space and privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Some survived and became the forest hermits and wise men/women, others died and fed the animals, and plants... circle of life.
    Some also found an old lady living in a gingerbread house and got famous for mudering her.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    Expecting all states to have high tech jobs is unreasonable. Besides, highly educated people would prefer certain social atmospheres; they will not feel at home with with community of barely educated folks.
    I'd say that if there is a critical mass of acceptably like-minded people to begin with, then the state at large does not really matter. Observe the exodus from California to the Texas tech sector.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Some also found an old lady living in a gingerbread house and got famous for mudering her.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd say that if there is a critical mass of acceptably like-minded people to begin with, then the state at large does not really matter. Observe the exodus from California to the Texas tech sector.
    What exodus? The study clearly shows that California is better than Texas at both retaining and attracting highly educated people. In 2017 California retains 97.7% of its highly educated residence vs. Texas of only 91.2%. California is also better at attracting highly educate people from other states for a net gain of 20.2% vs. Texas net gain of only 5.8%. The numbers are all there in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    What exodus? The study clearly shows that California is better than Texas at both retaining and attracting highly educated people. In 2017 California retains 97.7% of its highly educated residence vs. Texas of only 91.2%. California is also better at attracting highly educate people from other states for a net gain of 20.2% vs. Texas net gain of only 5.8%. The numbers are all there in front of you.
    California is still fine, but there is still a notable amount of educated people that have moved from Cali to Texas in recent years. Not enough to make a dent in the number of people California drains, but kinda contradicting your statement I replied to.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    California is still fine, but there is still a notable amount of educated people that have moved from Cali to Texas in recent years. Not enough to make a dent in the number of people California drains, but kinda contradicting your statement I replied to.
    There is always going to be some trading of brain power between large states like CA & TX & NY & MA. However, it is hard to quantify “notable”.

Based on Hiringsolved data (https://hiringsolved.com/blog/hiring...tech-employee/), we know that in 2017 UT Austin graduates are the fifth largest segment of Silicon Valley workforce (behind Berkeley, Stanford, Carnegie Mellon and USC in that order), and Texas A&M graduates are the 17th largest.

Based on UT Austin data, we also know that, between 2004 - 2016, 44% of their graduates left for other metro areas. Here is a list of the top 10 destination metro areas.

Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX - 19%
    San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA - 10.6%
    Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX - 8.5%
    New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA - 8.5%
    San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA - 6.4%
    Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA - 4.2%
    Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA - 4.2%
    Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV - 4.2%
    Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH - 2.1%
    San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX - 2.1%

Here is the data for UC Berkeley - 63% stayed in San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA, and 37% left for other metro areas. Here are the top 10 destinations.

San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA - 24% (like moving next door)
    New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA - 12.3%
    Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA - 10.2%
    Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX - 6.5%
    Bakersfield, CA - 3.2% (Huh?)
    Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV - 2.7%
    Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA - 2.7%
    Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI - 2.7%
    Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA - 2.1%
    Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH - 1.6%
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2019-05-09 at 06:08 PM.