Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Bring back raid and dungeon fights that require resistances?

Hey all,

Would you like to see WoW return to a time where resistances were required for some boss fights? Where you actually have to replace a piece or peices of armor with ones that have a certain type of resistance on it because the boss does excessively heavy damage of that type of magic?

For example, on the first boss in Serpent Shrine Cavern, both tanks had to have either Nature Resistance, or Cold Resistance or they could get gibbed by the boss and die. Tanks had to replace 3-4 pieces of gear with crafted or found gear that had resistances on it in order for the raid to progress on the boss fight.

Personally I think this would give a bit more variety to raid encounters, and give players something to do outside of the raid to prepare for it. I always liked the idea of resistances, and would like for them to return to the game in some form in the future.

Raidloggers wouldnt like it for sure.

Don't hold your breath, simplification is the name of the game these days.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

Quote Originally Posted by Monolithi View Post
    Raidloggers wouldnt like it for sure.
    This post would deserves a <3
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

7+ Year Old Account
    Weren't resistances classified as secondary stats? If so, I wouldn't mind them coming back...

...but there are so many other secondary stats I wish to come back over resistances. Next thing you know we're going have pieces of gear with waaaaaaaay to many secondary stats on them.

But in my limited knowledge, resistance-stacking is pretty boring, you get enough resistance gear (Farm or craft it), put it on and then do the fight without thinking about it again, until it’s time to play dress-up for the next fight, such interesting gameplay...

10+ Year Old Account
    I am OK with bringing them back, and having high level crafting gear from the previous instance or the beginning of the instance.

I had a full set made as a Warlock to tank Illidan.

Not OK with farming a level 50 instance for Nature Resistance gear to do one fight.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    But in my limited knowledge, resistance-stacking is pretty boring, you get enough resistance gear (Farm or craft it), put it on and then do the fight without thinking about it again, until it’s time to play dress-up for the next fight, such interesting gameplay...
    It was more interesting than what we have now tho...

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    It wass also just another form of time gating.

No. At least not via gear. Maybe say, a fight where people have to grab a buff or encounter item that gives a certain resistance they have to use for certian mechanics in the fight. But not a return of resistance gear you need to survive a particular fight.

The borg learn us, that resistance is futile.. so..

No. We don't need yet another grind. Resistance fights have always sucked.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Resistance won't work with current WoW since it was a form of gating player progression.

15+ Year Old Account
    I personally didn't like Resistance gear.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Stood in the Fire n7stormreaver's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Resistances are a horrible concept and only make 90% of the games they are in worse for no real reason.
    Space magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Briselody View Post
    Don't hold your breath, simplification is the name of the game these days.
    Which one is more simple:

A stat-check: you have X amount of fire resistance so you don't die to Y thing.

Having you actually watch out for mechanics and deal with them.

Simplification is a heavy term to use, when encounters have only gotten more and more complex over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mophead View Post
    Hey all,

Would you like to see WoW return to a time where resistances were required for some boss fights?
    I'd rather have more fights like High King Maulgar or Leotheras the Blind where other classes have to use their abilities to tank or what not.

I'd be okay with resistances coming back as tertiary stats that can be slightly useful in certain situations.

Fights that require you hit a certain level of resistance are boring though. You go to a website that has a checklist of the gear you need to meet the requirement and then never think about it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a raid leader in vanilla, hell fucking no.

Quote Originally Posted by Mophead View Post
    Hey all,

Would you like to see WoW return to a time where resistances were required for some boss fights? Where you actually have to replace a piece or peices of armor with ones that have a certain type of resistance on it because the boss does excessively heavy damage of that type of magic?

For example, on the first boss in Serpent Shrine Cavern, both tanks had to have either Nature Resistance, or Cold Resistance or they could get gibbed by the boss and die. Tanks had to replace 3-4 pieces of gear with crafted or found gear that had resistances on it in order for the raid to progress on the boss fight.

Personally I think this would give a bit more variety to raid encounters, and give players something to do outside of the raid to prepare for it. I always liked the idea of resistances, and would like for them to return to the game in some form in the future.
    Resistances aren't fun. It forces you to remove pieces of gear you like to make compromises. It's better to just make the boss have more engaging fight mechanics than it is to punish someone for not having enough fire resist gear. It's the same reason why making bosses resist fire, like many of the original MC bosses, was super shitty for classes like Fire Mage. It forces you to play the game the game in a manner that is subjectively less fun.

Making interesting boss fights that include avoidable and unavoidable damage, as well as rewarding mechanics for increasing damage, is far more enjoyable than telling someone they can't wear their favorite piece of gear and miss out on a haste breakpoint because they need 35 more fire resist.

It's just not fun, and I am pretty sure you are in the minority. If you want resistances, please play Vanilla.