Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Lightbulb Thoughts on bringing modern addons to classic?

I'm curious how the Classic community feels about bringing modern day addons to Classic. Addons like Elv, DBM, Healbot, etc. are undoubtedly helpful, and have vastly expanded features over classic raid mods like CT.

Do you feel this somehow takes away from the "classic experience?"

Will you be running any sort of addons like this in Classic?

Personally I'd be more than happy to run addons like Bartender, ZPerl, Bagnon etc since I've been using them for over 10 years on live and can't see myself going back to having my character frame in the upper left corner.
    A boss mod for a few specific encounters would be great (such as breath timings on chromagus or class call on Nef).
    However, any addons for group making would ruin some of my immersion and I don't intend to use them if they ever surface. Yeah standing in trade will be a pain, but that's part of what I remember.
    I don't intend on raiding as dps so a threat meter isn't required, but if I did I would use something like that etc.

For healing, any addon that lets me easily see debuffs and health values at a glance that's better than default raid frames.
    Current healbot would be weird since you down rank so many spells, and I don't think I would need something as silly as OG Decursive/HealBot just to function.

For my part, I think to raid some addons are required to play optimally and anyone who insists on raiding with none is doing themselves and their raid a disservice. (iirc they didn't even add a bad ingame threat meter until BC/Wrath, correct me if I'm wrong but I recall not knowing you were gonna pull treat unless you got it, as in no frame changing from green to yellow, orange and red).

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    NO MODS! YOU WANTED VANILLA, YOU GET VANILLA!

/s

I'm fine with mods, though I don't think we'll see old school mods, unless people manage to make more modernized versions of them.

Converting addons from 2005 to Classic will be such a huge undertaking that almost nobody will do it. Converting BfA counterparts will go super fast in comparison due to how similar the APIs will be and will be a lot more user friendly. The majority of the addons will be BfA converted ones.

It isn't that big of a deal. Not really the main worry I have for Classic either. WoW Tokens, LFR, LFG and the like are more what I am happy to not see. If weak auras classic exists then oh well. I mean.. its not like you have an insane amount to track anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Addons are a personal choice. Whatever the API supports will be fine.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Since the addon api will be the modern BFA one anything modern will likely work on classic.

Personally I think they should disable anything that shows quest items on the map. I know this won’t happen though. Just a personal preference. I think it takes too much out of the questing experience, which is a big thing in Vanilla.

Threat/DPS meters, bag/bank addons, actionbar/frame addons are all ok with me.

Well, one must have addon for Classic would be this one, otherwise it's basically unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by Didly View Post
    I'm curious how the Classic community feels about bringing modern day addons to Classic. Addons like Elv, DBM, Healbot, etc. are undoubtedly helpful, and have vastly expanded features over classic raid mods like CT.

Do you feel this somehow takes away from the "classic experience?"

Will you be running any sort of addons like this in Classic?
    Addons were in vanilla, while yes they were much more limited, it was morer by how limited software was in vanilla, and training, as computer trainign and coding was not as common as it is today. so while yes blizzard would love to say "we will only allow old mods" they would need to make them themselves, and remove addon capability to make sure people dot use the "super legit uber mods"

i am fine with it, because we will still be limited in what we can do, but it will hopefully fix some of the issues vanilla had.

no auto loot
    an LFG (not LFD, and not LFR)
    aswell as better bags cause their bags were just so annoying.

If people want to use modern addons in classic I say let them, if the api remains the same as the current one then it is almost certain that boss mods, UI's, quest helpers like Azeroth Autopilot will make their way to classic.

Were addons less powerful in vanilla because of the api was limited or because people didn't know just how much they could exploit it?

Remember we already have addons in Vanilla that basically played the game for you, from decursive requiring 1 button press to auto target a debuffed ally and cast the correct dispel to reading hp and selection the appropriate level of healing spell to use.

Over the years a lot of addon functionality was removing. Drawing on the screen to show safe zones to name just 1 big one. I'm not sure if that was possible already in vanilla or if it was added later.

Even just with Macro's you could put a whole bunch of spells in a macro and it would cast which ever was off cooldown, instead of hanging on the first spell like it does now.
    I remember early on Wotlk when you could play Enh shaman with a /random macro and be 90% effective.

In a way tools now are less powerful then they were in Vanilla.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

All i care about is that some of the talented coders decide to make old addons with the new API, especially stuff like swing timers and energy bars

It sucks, but it'll exist. A big part of the difficulty of stuff back then was the lack of info and how rudimentary/faulty the now much better boss timers and other info were conveyed, and this time around we already pretty much have most of that info.

This is a big reason why we can never truly go back to the days of Classic. Data, information, addons and even individual player skill have improved so much since those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    It sucks, but it'll exist. A big part of the difficulty of stuff back then was the lack of info and how rudimentary/faulty the now much better boss timers and other info were conveyed, and this time around we already pretty much have most of that info.

This is a big reason why we can never truly go back to the days of Classic. Data, information, addons and even individual player skill have improved so much since those days.
    I see stuff like this all the time, and none of that is even close to true. I had a ton of addons in 2006, almost everyone did. I dont doubt there will be better boss addons in classic but dont forget the API was also broken in vanilla to the point of scripting being able to automate your character, negating any skill level advantage that happened with the invent of razer nagas over the years.

There were nearly 8 mil players at the end of 2006, not everyone was a mouthbreather and most things about the game were known.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I see stuff like this all the time, and none of that is even close to true. I had a ton of addons in 2006, almost everyone did. I dont doubt there will be better boss addons in classic but dont forget the API was also broken in vanilla to the point of scripting being able to automate your character, negating any skill level advantage that happened with the invent of razer nagas over the years.

There were nearly 8 mil players at the end of 2006, not everyone was a mouthbreather and most things about the game were known.
    Not everyone may have been a mouthbreather, but what is true is that understanding of the game and the way people approach it have changed drastically from that time to now. A lot of people had addons but I can say from vivid memory that the DBM (or equivalent? I forget) was faulty as hell and often would go off timers. Addons as a whole have come a long way since then, to the extent that Blizzard have confessed they design the game differently.

It's like telling someone to go back and play a game they struggled on when they were younger. If they kept playing similar games, they'll go back and likely stomp it easily, I've had similar experiences with games I struggled with in my teenage years. People were figuring out WoW back then, and by now that phase of discovery that took up a lot of people's time in classic is replaced with a community that is honestly a bit obsessive.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleks0410 View Post
    Personally I think they should disable anything that shows quest items on the map. I know this won’t happen though. Just a personal preference. I think it takes too much out of the questing experience, which is a big thing in Vanilla.

Threat/DPS meters, bag/bank addons, actionbar/frame addons are all ok with me.
    Nobody is making you use an addon that ruins your personal experience. Back in the day we would be alt tabbing Thotbot to find a quest item that was vaguely referenced in the quest text so an addon that saves you leaving the game is welcome. I seem to remember one that automatically brought thotbot comments into your wow ui.

If it was down to me, i'd ban every add-on except UI and some quality of life add-ons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    If it was down to me, i'd ban every add-on except UI and some quality of life add-ons.
    100% people will find a way to do group-finder and RIO type addons, even if they run outside the game, and they will be prevalent. Anyone that isn't ready for this is deluding themselves.

there were plenty of addons in original vanilla so i see no reason why they should be banned from classic.

if you don't want to use them then don't use them
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.