Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistl3r View Post
    People will still use other resources to help with the poor quest text whether they are in game so not so having an add on for convenience will not effect you if you dont want to use it.Who are you to say what levelling experience others should have? My experience of vanilla was you could waste hours looking for something in the wrong place through no fault of your own and an app that helps is a godsend.
    Who am I to say? I'm not trying to dictate how people should enjoy the game. I'm like everyone else on these forums who has an opinion about the game. Calm your tits.

Correct, people had the option to use thottbot. I used it myself. Usually the process would be:

1) Actually read the quest text
    2) Try to find quest item/mob
    3) Ask guildies, friends or in chat
    4) Check thottbot

vs. now where you just look at your mini map. It's too convenient, you miss out on too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    You will get your r.io equivalent in classic, if you like it or not.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

I'll confess that, as much as I rely on addons, to a certain extent, in order to play the current game, the idea of those same modern addons being placed into Classic WoW seems somehow heretical. Almost like tacking a new-age modern home extension onto a historic Scottish castle. Yes it may make the structure more convenient and easier to live in, but that doesn't make it inherently improved.

I think a big part of the Vanilla landscape and it's resultant nostalgia, is to do with the concept of "Embracing the Suck". Its why the memories people have for Vanilla are so vivid. You spent so long banging your head against things that its just inevitable that you make strong attachments to them. The UI and play experience is no different. Classic was as much defined by the clunky, Jerry-Rigged UI and addon scene as it was for it's world and gameplay. To me you just can't have one without the other.

Even if it's available to people, I'm probably going to play and raid with as few addons as possible, and attempt to replicate a Vanilla UI as best I can. Threat Meter, Boss Mods. Nothing else... Maybe a dps meter just to make sure I'm not awful.
    Last edited by Kalmakk; 2019-05-09 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Well, one must have addon for Classic would be this one, otherwise it's basically unplayable.
    Very funny, clever meme dude bro! /clap

High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account
    Addons are inevitable unless Blizzard specifically locks them out. I don't really see them doing that. Everyone has their opinion about addons & I don't see a problem with them as long as they follow the rules set up for them. What I want to know is what are the macro rules going to be? I want to create some macros in advance, but don't know what format to make them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaito92 View Post
    Only that ion himself said personally they are gonna specificaly break things that go against spirit of the game, mentioning RIO by name.

Must be rather conflicting for you, on the one hand white knighting blizzard allday but then they bring out your personal boogeyman inform classic. No wonder you get confused.
    Geez talkin bout white knightin then bringin it to an eleven yourself.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

they should find a way to blacklist any addon and addon versions made after classic to avoid soiling the fidelity of the vanilla experience

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Were addons less powerful in vanilla because of the api was limited or because people didn't know just how much they could exploit it?

Remember we already have addons in Vanilla that basically played the game for you, from decursive requiring 1 button press to auto target a debuffed ally and cast the correct dispel to reading hp and selection the appropriate level of healing spell to use.

Over the years a lot of addon functionality was removing. Drawing on the screen to show safe zones to name just 1 big one. I'm not sure if that was possible already in vanilla or if it was added later.

Even just with Macro's you could put a whole bunch of spells in a macro and it would cast which ever was off cooldown, instead of hanging on the first spell like it does now.
    I remember early on Wotlk when you could play Enh shaman with a /random macro and be 90% effective.

In a way tools now are less powerful then they were in Vanilla.
    I would debate addons were in a lot of cases MORE powerful. They could be used in combination with script macros to almost play the game for you. Several rotation addons seriously would do the whole thing for you. The rogue one was the most wildly used one and known one. Then you had things like decursive that would target and cleanse targets using the correct spell (some classes had several different dispels) just by spamming one key. No targeting or anything. It just did it all on its own. You could even set it up to do specific groups first before moving on, prio on the tanks and healers, and all kinds of stuff that would probably get you a ban in todays game if you had it.

Truthfully addons today are only a means to modify how information is presented to the player. They really don't do a whole lot on their own. They did do a whole lot on their own in vanilla though.

The only damage that could come in is if an addon pretty much just creates an LFG or LFR type of system that auto ques and such. Because it goes against the spirit of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zensunni View Post
    100% people will find a way to do group-finder and RIO type addons, even if they run outside the game, and they will be prevalent. Anyone that isn't ready for this is deluding themselves.
    There are no group finder addons or external programs for current pservers. There is "VQueue" but literally all that does is parse messages posted to world chat and keep them saved in a window and allow you to whisper that person. And barely anyone uses it.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2019-05-09 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    There are no group finder addons or external programs for current pservers. There is "VQueue" but literally all that does is parse messages posted to world chat and keep them saved in a window and allow you to whisper that person.
    Why even mention those? None of the addons that worked in vanilla or PS'ers will be able to be ported to classic, if people want them on classic they would need to be remade from the ground up to function. If anything its better to consider what current addons are available and what they are going to do to break those for classic.

I wont use any addons at all. Im a pure hipster dofus thats will play classic THE REAL WAY!

I will be installing the kill on sight addon before any other. That is all.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Didly View Post
    I'm curious how the Classic community feels about bringing modern day addons to Classic. Addons like Elv, DBM, Healbot, etc. are undoubtedly helpful, and have vastly expanded features over classic raid mods like CT.

Do you feel this somehow takes away from the "classic experience?"

Will you be running any sort of addons like this in Classic?
    I will be running addons in Classic...just like I did in Vanilla. You might be surprised how many addons used today were originally created during Vanilla. Regardless, I would imagine it will be like any new expansion today...you'll find a good chunk of authors that will modify their addons to function in Classic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I would debate addons were in a lot of cases MORE powerful. They could be used in combination with script macros to almost play the game for you. Several rotation addons seriously would do the whole thing for you. The rogue one was the most wildly used one and known one. Then you had things like decursive that would target and cleanse targets using the correct spell (some classes had several different dispels) just by spamming one key. No targeting or anything. It just did it all on its own. You could even set it up to do specific groups first before moving on, prio on the tanks and healers, and all kinds of stuff that would probably get you a ban in todays game if you had it.

Truthfully addons today are only a means to modify how information is presented to the player. They really don't do a whole lot on their own. They did do a whole lot on their own in vanilla though.

The only damage that could come in is if an addon pretty much just creates an LFG or LFR type of system that auto ques and such. Because it goes against the spirit of the game.
    Indeed, addons from vanilla were much more powerful than what you can use on live servers just due to how much could be automated. So modern addons won't be an issue they'll just look better. Now I don't expect that Blizzard will allow a LFG/LFR addon to exist for very long but I do see something potentially being created like the group finder tool. I mean they added a group finder tool in TBC which basically functioned as a looking of player/looking for group board. You still had to talk to the group leader to get an invite it just cut down on you needing to sort through LFG chat.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    There are no group finder addons or external programs for current pservers. There is "VQueue" but literally all that does is parse messages posted to world chat and keep them saved in a window and allow you to whisper that person. And barely anyone uses it.
    Because addons like that would be pretty redundant, I'm pretty confident someone is going to build some rudimentary group finder addon for Classic unless Blizzard blocks that from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    You will get your r.io equivalent in classic, if you like it or not.
    But Vanilla had r.io. It was called server reputation.

I just hope they either introduce the API as it was in Vanilla (hunter auto bar switching based on distance to target and stuff like 1 click decursive come to mind), or just keep the current version of API and don't try to bastardize it somehow.
    Last edited by h4rr0d; 2019-05-10 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    Because addons like that would be pretty redundant, I'm pretty confident someone is going to build some rudimentary group finder addon for Classic unless Blizzard blocks that from happening.
    Sure, there will definitely be "group finder" addons, but I doubt very many people will use them, just like what happens with vQueue. Vanilla players know to use world chat / general chat.

10+ Year Old Account
    100% people will find a way to do group-finder and RIO type addons
    Almost every server had a player driven global "lfg" channel, so if someone makes an addon for that i dont really have a problem with it. In most cases more or less stable groups will form out of it like the pre work ubrs group we ran on Eredar-EU. Seven to ten nerds gathered 4 days a week at five in the morning and ran ubrs together and it started with the player lfg channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Didly View Post
    I'm curious how the Classic community feels about bringing modern day addons to Classic. Addons like Elv, DBM, Healbot, etc. are undoubtedly helpful, and have vastly expanded features over classic raid mods like CT.

Do you feel this somehow takes away from the "classic experience?"

Will you be running any sort of addons like this in Classic?
    The only one I am going to use is what ever the best quest helper becomes.

Whether you support them or not you'd better believe they'll be there.

I support it since someone mentioned there's one for mailboxes/AH modern streamlining. I'll take that in a heartbeat.