Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Sure, there will definitely be "group finder" addons, but I doubt very many people will use them, just like what happens with vQueue. Vanilla players know to use world chat / general chat.
    This won't be just "Vanilla" players though.

im sure older addons will be ported and new addons will pop up, im going to use whatever works best and not really give a shit if it's a new or old style of addon.

the only addon they should disable are lfg style addons. use the chat if you want to lfg.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I see stuff like this all the time, and none of that is even close to true. I had a ton of addons in 2006, almost everyone did. I dont doubt there will be better boss addons in classic but dont forget the API was also broken in vanilla to the point of scripting being able to automate your character, negating any skill level advantage that happened with the invent of razer nagas over the years.

There were nearly 8 mil players at the end of 2006, not everyone was a mouthbreather and most things about the game were known.
    Exactly this. Everyone who says he didn't use addons back then was either not a raider, is simply lying or never played vanilla. Boss-Timers even existed back then, and yes, addons were so advanced back in 1.11-1.12 that even automatic play was possible. There were farming bots, entirely made out of the wow-api without much or any external interference.

Vanilla was full of addons; this was actually one of the charms of wow back then; because the stock-ui was horrible and you can't play wow without addons at all. Effective healing in Vanilla was IMPOSSIBLE with the classic raid frames. Luckily this seems not to be much of an concern anymore, since blizzard doesn't plan to bring the classic-raidframes back.

When you say modern addons you're referring to the developers, not the ingame API that supports the creation of addons.

The API used in BfA and Classic is so restricted compared to how it used to be in vanilla so a lot of things you could do with addons in 2005 are no longer possible.

Developers on the other hand have gotten a lot better at creating addons so they may have functionality that you though impossible back in 2005 or be to user friendly so that anyone can understand and configure them.

So your question is really if developers should be allowed to use their skill and knowledge to create addons for Classic. I think they should, who's going to stop them?

No problem at all considering there were a lot of advanced addons used in Vanilla.

Personally will use stuff like Bagnon, Atlas Loot, X-Perl etc, if they are available.

You could do about the same in classic as you can today, just require alot more scripting and your own database for stuff.
    I don't mind addons, partially since i make them myself as a hobby.
    Its down to your own preference, if you don't like addons don't get them.
    But todays society everyone gets offended if they see something they don't like, so instead of closing the page or whatnot they hit the socialmedia.
    Im happy if they don't fully support auctionhouse api for classic mainly due to making servers lagg (if they sorted the lagg for AH im fine with that API aswell)

Quote Originally Posted by zyrr View Post
    You could do about the same in classic as you can today, just require alot more scripting and your own database for stuff.
    I don't mind addons, partially since i make them myself as a hobby.
    Its down to your own preference, if you don't like addons don't get them.
    But todays society everyone gets offended if they see something they don't like, so instead of closing the page or whatnot they hit the socialmedia.
    Im happy if they don't fully support auctionhouse api for classic mainly due to making servers lagg (if they sorted the lagg for AH im fine with that API aswell)
    You could do a lot more in classic than you can do today.

Macros could make decisions by checking if an ability was on cooldown or if you had enough mana or energy to use an ability, and then either casting a different ability that was not on cooldown or using a lower rank spell that you had enough mana to cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    This won't be just "Vanilla" players though.
    Majority of it will be, since all of the retail kiddies won't make it past level 10/20 before ragequitting the game.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrr View Post
    You could do about the same in classic as you can today
    Nah, there were lots of really broken (powerful) macros in vanilla. Mostly conditional statements, like you could make macros that cast different spells based on whether or not you have a buff, or if a buff had a certain duration, etc.

Like right now I have a macro that will:

-cast Seal of Righteousness
    -cast Judgement but only if Seal is active
    -cast Seal of Righteousness only if Seal of Righteousness has less than 10 seconds remaining

You can't do something like that in retail; those things are protected functions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zensunni View Post
    100% people will find a way to do group-finder and RIO type addons, even if they run outside the game, and they will be prevalent. Anyone that isn't ready for this is deluding themselves.
    Of course they will. The API will allow it and there was even groupfinder in vanilla, people just can't remember it because it was faulty at release.

Quote Originally Posted by lollerlaban View Post
    Of course they will. The API will allow it and there was even groupfinder in vanilla, people just can't remember it because it was faulty at release.
    Group finder add-ons will be a lot less useful because there won't be any form of cross server play and you will know your own servers community in no time. There won't be 300 different good tanks, there will be 30-40 and the ones you like will be in your friend list. I don't really see much use for an addon. General chat will work just fine for small communities like these servers.

People will port over modern Addons and people will use them. To be honest I don't care since Stuff like Decursive and ManaReserve won't work anymore with the new API anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    If it was down to me, i'd ban every add-on except UI and some quality of life add-ons.
    so, in other words, you would allow every addon.. all addons are either UI or quality of life.

I really don't think modern wow mods will change much... I know that isn't a popular opinion but people seem to forget just how absurdly powerful some mods where in classic like heal bot and decursive where blizzard had to actually break them.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Majority of it will be, since all of the retail kiddies won't make it past level 10/20 before ragequitting the game.

Nah, there were lots of really broken (powerful) macros in vanilla. Mostly conditional statements, like you could make macros that cast different spells based on whether or not you have a buff, or if a buff had a certain duration, etc.

Like right now I have a macro that will:

-cast Seal of Righteousness
    -cast Judgement but only if Seal is active
    -cast Seal of Righteousness only if Seal of Righteousness has less than 10 seconds remaining

You can't do something like that in retail; those things are protected functions.
    Oh you're one of those. Carry on then.

No biggy. Looking forward to using VuhDo in classic instead of the old mouse over macros.

I personally feel that not allowing any addons to work would be the best way to go about Classic, playing the raiding game without Omen or any boss mods makes what everyone professes to be "waay easy raiding" into perhaps more of a challenge.

Similarly, AH addons are kinda lame, but then I've always been pretty dismissive of people who enjoy playing markets in a virtual game.

I totally understand that my personal opinion on this would be unpopular overall - and I can't fault that really, I just think if raiding is going to be such a piñata without any mechanical challenge then it might be more engaging if people have to pay closer attention to what is going on. And I should just get off my high horse and get my own AH addon, I just dislike that it is necessary to do so to be on the same level as others.

Still, Classic with no addons +
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I'm good with modern addons. Don't think I could ever go back to the default UI after using bartender and Bagnon for so long.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pvt servers already have almost all mods that you can possibly think of already, be it totemtimers, weakauras, questhelper, Luna Unitframes (which is basically an improved TBC Grid) etcetc, if old addons didn't exist for a function they are now mostly coded by guilds themselves. When that community has all addons you can be sure they'll all find it's way to classic wow too. The only modern addon that does not exist anywhere is basically a gearscore addon, which obviously you wouldn't want to find it's way to classic in any case.

Not sure why people would call for no addons, I used CTraid, a bossmod, Omen or KTM can't remember, and ag_unitframes in real vanilla just as well back in the day. Healing without a rangecheck simply isn't fun whatsoever so it's a good thing these things will be improved.

I wonder though if the 1-button-warrior macro (literally spam 1 button all raid and be competitive, either as tank or dps) is still going to work on the new client. I'm guessing quickheal will be broken but not sure about macro-gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    Oh you're one of those. Carry on then.
    Well okay.