Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post

TLDW This was a disclaimer in a looney tunes collection..Whoopie over here basically said "Hey there are some racist jokes on this collection..it was a product of the time, they were wrong then and wrong now but removing them is basically saying it never happened"

Basically...yeah the Siamese cat song is mildly racist...but it was from 1955..so yeah it was racist removing is just closing your ears and saying "NOPE NOPE WE WERE NEVER RACIST EVER"

..let it be the example don't scrub it out
    Different situation. If they were taking the original movie and replacing the cats and the song with new cats and a new song I'd agree with you. But that's not what this is...this is a remake.

Also, is anyone really going to have their life negatively affected by this change? Maybe you think making the change is "silly"...but making a big deal out of it is much sillier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    We're gonna Godwin so much you might even get tired of Godwinning

TLDW This was a disclaimer in a looney tunes collection..Whoopie over here basically said "Hey there are some racist jokes on this collection..it was a product of the time, they were wrong then and wrong now but removing them is basically saying it never happened"

Basically...yeah the Siamese cat song is mildly racist...but it was from 1955..so yeah it was racist removing is just closing your ears and saying "NOPE NOPE WE WERE NEVER RACIST EVER"

Are they taking it out of the original movie? Otherwise I don't get what your issue is.
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.

I am Murloc!
    Quote Originally Posted by Micfeind View Post
    From my understanding they want to mainly change it because the cats were originally depicted as having slant eyes and buck teeth.
    I mean it is understandable to change the visual look of the cats and if you were to have a regular looking house cat and not Siamese cats then the song would not make much sense
    Ah, makes sense to me.

The song is racist as fuck. Of course they change it.

If they ever remake Breakfast at Tiffany's do you also get mad if the neighbor isn't played by a white dude in ching chong make up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    Fuckin go away Elba, no one likes you.

Also as has been stated that this is a remake of the movie not a change to the original so I don't know what all the outrage is about honestly.

HMmm...

EDIT: Deleted - could have sworn they'd remade Breakfast at Tiffanies already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Brexit: it's the dumbest WWE plotline to ever escape into real-life that can't end soon enough because everyone hates how it started, how it's going and how its going to end.
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Trebuchets new meta.

I mean disney is so creatively bankrupt they have to remake animated movies to stay in the box office - it shouldn't shock anyone that they're grasping for PC points. At least their other studios are doing well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    EDIT: Deleted - could have sworn they'd remade Breakfast at Tiffanies already.
    There's apparently a Broadway play. But no movie.

I wonder what they will do with all those villains speaking with a British accent...
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    I mean disney is so creatively bankrupt they have to remake animated movies to stay in the box office - it shouldn't shock anyone that they're grasping for PC points. At least their other studios are doing well.
    The life action movies make a shit ton of money.

And how is not being blatantly racist "grasping for PC points"? If anything, it's a wise business decision.

It's not like they're purging it from the original movie. They're just not using it in the re-make. I'm not super exciting for disney remakes in general, but it's reasonable that they would change things that feel dated.

Probably not appropriate nowadays, but I still think it’s stupid that we’ve come to this.
    “Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    The life action movies make a shit ton of money.

And how is not being blatantly racist "grasping for PC points"? If anything, it's a wise business decision.
    The song is not racist - see the lyrics quoted above. The depiction of the cats is, and that is already solved by using actual cats since it's live action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Lady and the Tramp came out when my dad was born, so yea the stuff in it was racist, there's no denying that. That song is so cringe now and if they remake it then it should be removed. But it should be kept in the original as a lesson of our past.

I never believe we should erase our history just learn from it and a remake of this movie removing it is fine. Because it shows we have learned and adapted over those 64 years. Just like Dumbo removing the racist crows, even though as a kid I thought those crows were the coolest thing in that movie lol. But regardless. :P

1955 was a different time, many stuff was considered acceptable then, my dad still talks about how much he loved the black and white minstrel gimmick, I find it creepy as shit. :P

*shudder*

Regardless I haven't liked a single one of these live action remakes... So it looks like I'll be sticking with the racist version lol. But we'll see, for all I know this could be the best one :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-05-08 at 11:03 PM.
    "Hatred and prejudice will never be eradicated. And witch hunts will never be about witches. To have a scapegoat—that's the key" - Geralt of Rivia

Why are people "blaming" SJWs for this? The Siamese Cats are racist charocatures of the Chinese in a film that they no doubt intend to release and then take money in China.

And you guys think this about SJWs? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    They need to just stop making live action remakes period
    This and fast please.

But given their current modus opperandi it seems rather futile tho hope for that, which is sad.

It's one thing to retroactively censor content in an age where such censorship was not needed, versus doing a remake for the modern age.

I'd be annoyed if they tried to go back to the original and edit the song out.

But in a remake? Yeah it's probably a good idea to remove the overt racism that was acceptable half a century ago.

It's similar to why I think stuff like Mark Twain should never be censored. Most of us alive today did not live through even the Lady And the Tramp era, and certainly not Twain's. It gives us a more genuine look into the past and what society was like, and what lessons can be learned. We should not try to erase our past sins and cruelty to other people, but acknowledge it and try to build a better tomorrow.
    "Okay, Robin. Together, we're gonna punch these guys so hard, words describing the impact are gonna spontaneously materialize out of thin air."
    - Lego Batman

I don't understand why people don't do what those old cartoons do. throw a banner at the beginning:

See me for the stick up your arse, when applying for moderator. The stick is gratis.

You think they'll change the depiction of the Japanese character in this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Probably not appropriate nowadays, but I still think it’s stupid that we’ve come to this.
    I am with this... though I think it is an interesting thing to think about...

We have British actors playing crafty villains all the time, and that is not a problem. We have Russian bad guys, and that is also not a problem.

I do think that the squinty eyes and buck teeth were "racist" stereotypes, however they could have left the cats in, changed the song a bit, made them look like normal siamese cats that could still be sneaky and crafty, unless people think that there are no "Asian" (Thailand) people that are sneaky or crafty (sneaky/crafty people exist in all races).

So in a way I can understand why they did this, but in a way it is also just being overly sensitive.

Plus... Siamese cats are beautiful:
    Last edited by Connal; 2019-05-08 at 11:07 PM.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.