Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    How long until we get snow black and the 7 genders?

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Fuck who cares? They're Siamese cats man. Only these clowns would think removing Asian characters is 'less racist' than having Asian characters do Asian things.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    How long until we get snow black and the 7 genders?
    You mean this one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    I love you

5+ Year Old Account
    Why are people mad they changed this? The appearance of the cats was based on racial stereotypes and the melody of the song played on that. It's obvious why they changed the song, because it was overly "Chinese-Sounding" to play up the appearance of the "Chinese Cats". If the cats are no longer as derpy in appearance, why keep the song that way too? The scene would just look awkward and confusing.

If a company admits something they made was inappropriate, because it was based on admittedly inappropriate reasoning, why do you guys care? Maybe Disney made a racist joke and didn't care then but they do now. And? Happened before. Did you die?
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Siamese cats are from Thailand... and I did say not to make them stereotypically "Asian" just use two normal looking Siamese cats...

If this is a China issue... thats another problem and is just a PR issue, though I am sure China has villainous Asian characters in their media/books/movies, etc...
    I'm sure they do, but they won't touch a western movie with a Chinese villain unless they also have a Chinese hero in it too. China banned the release of Christopher Robin (a Disney film) because President Xi doesn't like comparisons to Winnie the Pooh. I'm sure Disney are really keen for that to happen again.

Also, great Cat knowledge. But naughty Asian Cats the will make this film toxic in China no matter how they look or where they are actually from.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    I always thought the outrage over that was silly. How does the fact that these two siamese cats are duplicitous and vicious mean that Disney is implying that all Asian people are the same way? Always felt like people grasping for things to be outraged by.
    When you play identity politics the actions of an individual represent the whole group.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, heres the thing, and I can't make this more direct. I am not going to see any of disneys craptastic live action remakes, I am not going to spend money on something that is only being designed so disney can profit off of their need to retain the licence on their properties, which is why this bullshit live action craze was started in the first place.

That said, given the hyper overly sensitive snowflake times we live in today, where so much as a joke online can be taken so out of context it costs people their jobs, its very obvious why disney decided to do this. They know the maw of the beast in this current era, don't wanna piss off the snowflake generation.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2019-05-09 at 01:29 AM.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how people get triggered when people try to make stuff contemporary.

The song wouldn't make sense in a modern adaption so they're changing it. If you want to the old shit you can still go back and listen to the old shit. Seriously, what's the point of remaking something if you're not going to adapt it to modern times?

I bet yall would've been complaining back then about forced diversity or some shit. Stop crying all little stuff all the time.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2019-05-09 at 01:30 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

People that complain about this kind of stuff need to find better and more meaningful things to do with their time.

Racial stereotypes? Not a problem.

Removing racial stereotypes? OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK THIS WORLD!!!!!!!! BURN IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I love how people get triggered when people try to make stuff contemporary.

The song wouldn't make sense in a modern adaption so they're changing it. If you want to the old shit you can still go back and listen to the old shit. Seriously, what's the point of remaking something if you're not going to adapt it to modern times?

I bet yall would've been complaining back then about forced diversity or some shit. Stop crying all little stuff all the time.
    thing is, there wasn't force diversity, or forced gender politics, not like there is today, because while back then people were fighting for the right to be treated like human beings, todays generation isn't content with that even, they need their social and political ideology on billboards and if you don't respect that, you need to be arrested!
    Thats why they call it the snowflake generation.
    #boycottchina

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    thing is, there wasn't force diversity, or forced gender politics, not like there is today, because while back then people were fighting for the right to be treated like human beings, todays generation isn't content with that even, they need their social and political ideology on billboards and if you don't respect that, you need to be arrested!
    Thats why they call it the snowflake generation.
    By people that wine and cry like .... snowflakes....
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    By people that wine and cry like .... snowflakes....
    maybe better work on undoing that stigma then. might help your case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    Is this another case of being offended on behalf of other people?
    yep thats exactly what this is.

these are the same kind of people who think apu on simpsons is a horrible stereotype on behalf of all american indians.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxit the Gnome View Post
    The only thing shocking about this is that I vividly remember that this song is in The Aristocats!?
    I think that's a different song? Though I'm sure I remember a scene from Aristocrats with a cat literally pulling a "slanty eye" face while holding chopsticks.

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe better work on undoing that stigma then. might help your case.

What stigma? I don't recall saying anything about the original. Nor am I here crying that they are changing it in a remake.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    What stigma? I don't recall saying anything about the original. Nor am I here crying that they are changing it in a remake.
    neither am I, since I don't care for any of these live action remakes. I just find it funny seeing the identity politics used to justify such changes.
    #boycottchina

Also, this is Disney's property. They are allowed to do what they want with it.

Why are conservatives so hellbent on forcing people to do what they want them to with their own property?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, heres the thing, and I can't make this more direct. I am not going to see any of disneys craptastic live action remakes, I am not going to spend money on something that is only being designed so disney can profit off of their need to retain the licence on their properties, which is why this bullshit live action craze was started in the first place.

That said, given the hyper overly sensitive snowflake times we live in today, where so much as a joke online can be taken so out of context it costs people their jobs, its very obvious why disney decided to do this. They know the maw of the beast in this current era, don't wanna piss off the snowflake generation.
    neither am I, since I don't care for any of these live action remakes. I just find it funny seeing the identity politics used to justify such changes.
    I bet to differ. You are very much crying that they are changing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a kid's movie about dogs falling in love and eating spaghetti. This isn't some sacrosanct material here, people. Why would you care if they change it?

Why leave in the racist caricatures singing? Does it add anything to the film?

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    TLDW This was a disclaimer in a looney tunes collection..Whoopie over here basically said "Hey there are some racist jokes on this collection..it was a product of the time, they were wrong then and wrong now but removing them is basically saying it never happened"

Basically...yeah the Siamese cat song is mildly racist...but it was from 1955..so yeah it was racist removing is just closing your ears and saying "NOPE NOPE WE WERE NEVER RACIST EVER"

..let it be the example don't scrub it out
    They aren't removing it from the original, they're just not adding it to the new one.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2019-05-09 at 01:54 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.