Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I bet to differ. You are very much crying that they are changing it.
    Oh come now, you know Traask and their false outrage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    Fuck who cares? They're Siamese cats man. Only these clowns would think removing Asian characters is 'less racist' than having Asian characters do Asian things.
    "asian things."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bet to differ. You are very much crying that they are changing it.
    think your digging friend, I honestly don't give a shit about it, just highlighting some facts about why they decided to make such changes. I know, its hard to see the wood for the trees sometimes.
    #boycottchina

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    Disney can suck on these Siamese nuts. I'm not seeing anything offensive about:

We are Siamese if you please
    We are Siamese if you don't please
    We are former residents of Siam
    There are no finer cat than I am

Do you see what I see with my eyes?
    People have been baking up some pies
    Peeping jumping up upon their window
    Though delicious spice we could get into

Who is that who is living in that wire house
    It must be a bird because it's not a mouse
    If we're sneakin' up upon it carefully
    There will be some bird for you and some for me

Do you seeing that thing swimming round and round?
    Maybe we could reaching in and make it drown
    If we're sneakin' up upon it carefully
    There will be some fish for you and some for me
    Not seeing how that's racist.

So erm..... what exactly is wrong with the original? I find them quite entertaining.... One of the few things I liked about the film.

I always saw them as mischievous, sneaky, yet clever.
    Last edited by The King in Yellow; 2019-05-09 at 02:08 AM.
    Camilla: You, sir, should unmask.
    Stranger: Indeed?
    Cassilda: Indeed, it's time. We have all laid aside disguise but you.
    Stranger: I wear no mask.
    Camilla: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    I don't either. Maybe lost in translation?
    In the film they're thieving, mischievous cats that antagonize the protagonists for fun and are depicted with slanted eyes and a stereotypical asian accent.

In 1955, the "mischievous chinaman" (interchangeable for any east-asian at the time, and almost always played or depicted by white people, even in live action) stereotype was very much a Hollywood trope. It's basically one small step removed from blackface.

Disney has apparently decided that such depictions probably wouldn't sit too well with people in 2019.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see them saying the song itself is racist. I see them saying they need a new song as they won't have the Siamese cats in the new film.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    its because rather then actually being racist, the current generation reads into it as being so, because the cats have 'asian' shaped eyes and accents, and 'cultural appropriation' wants it to be so.
    I grew up having watched the animated movie many times, never once did I put talking cats as being racist stereotypes

And if it didn't register as being racist in the past with most people, why then does that only become an issue today?

Maybe because generation snowflake needs to find offense in anything they can?
    #boycottchina

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Or some pedantic SJW's at Disney got loose and decided they want to remove things from their film franchises. Apparently the Lion King remake has one of the songs removed as well.

Why can't people just grasp the idea that things were a product of its time? This backtrack pandering is just downright pathetic. Learn from history, and carry on from there!

The buck teeth and slant eyes....

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    The buck teeth and slant eyes....
    They're cats......

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The King in Yellow View Post
    They're cats......
    Doesn't that make it all the more stupid/racist for them to have buckteeth and slanted eyes then?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    its because rather then actually being racist, the current generation reads into it as being so, because the cats have 'asian' shaped eyes and accents, and 'cultural appropriation' wants it to be so.
    I grew up having watched the animated movie many times, never once did I put talking cats as being racist stereotypes

And if it didn't register as being racist in the past with most people, why then does that only become an issue today?

Apparently cats that are animated versions of the actual animals are racist now. How absolutely pedantic.

10+ Year Old Account
    While that's not what cultural appropriation means, I know you like slinging buzzwords around more than you care about their actual meaning hoping they'll make your point for you.

Suffice to say, "slanty-eyed, yellow characters that talk with stereotypical asian accent and cause mischief" is pretty well in line with the "yellow scare" trope.

Arguing that people weren't casually racist in 1955 probably isn't the best hill to die on.

You're getting offended at changing two singing cats in a kid's film.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently cats that are animated versions of the actual animals are racist now. How absolutely pedantic.
    What species of cat has slanted eyes and buck teeth?

Doesn't that make it all the more stupid/racist for them to have buckteeth and slanted eyes then?
    I see them as an entertaining part of the film; seriously. They're mischievous cats; which is a trope/characteristic known to this breed of cats. I find it more racist you just see them as "slant eyes with buck teeth"...

But hey; let's just see racist tropes and stereotypes in everything right?

Which would be removed in the translation to making them "live action" so nothing racist about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought the point of the song was that cats are assholes, everything else feels incredibly forced.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    neither am I, since I don't care for any of these live action remakes. I just find it funny seeing the identity politics used to justify such changes.
    Who said has anything to do with identity politics? The song is outdated so it doesn't fit in a modern adaption - the language is antiquated. Why people look deeper into these things than what they baffle me.

Like I said earlier. I make logical sense to make a modern adaption of something if you're not going to present it in terms of contemporary culture.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The King in Yellow View Post
    I see them as an entertaining part of the film; seriously. They're mischievous cats; which is a trope/characteristic known to this breed of cats. I find it more racist you just see them as "slant eyes with buck teeth"...
    How so? Which race did I tie those features to?