Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    My point was why only talk about asian americans. They are not the only asians.
    Because culturally, Asian Americans, by virtue of being Americans, are more likely to whine about the portrayal of Siamese cats in a movie produced by an American company? I'm not trying to champion Asians across the globe from Little China, Chicago, all the way to the butcher in Chiang Khong, Thailand. This discussion predominantly involves American butt hurting, be it white Americans or Asian Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Because culturally, Asian Americans, by virtue of being Americans, are more likely to whine about the portrayal of Siamese cats in a movie produced by an American company? I'm not trying to champion Asians across the globe from Little China, Chicago, all the way to the butcher in Chiang Khong, Thailand. This discussion predominantly involves American butt hurting, be it white Americans or Asian Americans.
    So #gatekeeping. Got it.

So #gatekeeping. Got it.
    I call it staying on topic, but ok. I know that's hard in most threads, but I guess it's why we need mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    If someone calls a jewish person a kike I call them out on it... if someone calls an asian person a gook... I call them out on it. Me not being asian or jewish doesn't mean I can't call people out for being bigots.

Do you have to be gay to say "calling gay people fags that need to die is offensive"?
    Do you know what bothers me? People pulling their eyes and going "tjing tjong kines" or thinking I'm a prostitute because I'm thai or thinking I'm a ladyboy due to being thai or being denied to rent an apartment because of my name being foreign. Cats in a movie? Nope.

- - - Updated - - -

I call it staying on topic, but ok. I know that's hard in most threads, but I guess it's why we need mods.
    This is an international forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Probably not appropriate nowadays, but I still think it’s stupid that we’ve come to this.
    You said yourself it isn't appropriate...so why is it stupid that we've come to this....when "this" is "hey, let's try to avoid using racist caricatures in our movie"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    We're gonna Godwin so much you might even get tired of Godwinning

Do you know what bothers me? People pulling their eyes and going "tjing tjong kines" or thinking I'm a prostitute because I'm thai or thinking I'm a ladyboy or being denied to rent an apartment because of my name being foreign. Cats in a movie? Nope.

- - - Updated - - -

Just because you're not offended by what you might consider trivial doesn't mean it's trivial to someone else and no one else has the right to be offended. No one lives in a geocentric universe, and stereotypes, especially in America have been known to have negative effects on people. Just read half the goofball posts the mouth breathers championing to keep their racist cats in this thread are saying and it should tell you enough.

Just because you're not offended by what you might consider trivial doesn't mean it's trivial to someone else and no one else has the right to be offended. No one lives in a geocentric universe, and stereotypes, especially in America have been known to have negative effects on people. Just read half the goofball posts the mouth breathers championing to keep their racist cats in this thread are saying and it should tell you enough.
    People being offended is only that. Doesn't mean you should give in to them.

And you're welcome to voice your opinion. I clarified I'm not championing all Asians against racist Siamese cat portrayals. I was explaining why Asian Americans might be offended by a racist stereotype from the 50's. If any Asian American disagrees with anything I said and feel misrepresented by my broad brush stroke opinions, they're welcome to bring it up with me.

Race discussions are not allowed. closing now...