Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Disney pulls another silly

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...-janelle-monae

Shall we go for another round of pointless stupidity, my fellow forum dwellers? We shall.

The premise: Disney has contracted someone to reinvent The Siamese Cats song for their Lady and the Tramp remake. Why, you may inquire? Because the song has long (been) notorious for its depiction of Asian characters as duplicitous and vicious. . In addition, Variety also reports that the characters are no longer Siamese cats.

And that's it. Let's all enjoy another back & forth session in civilized manner!

I mean, is this bad? Song of the South was also hopelessly racist and I don't think anyone would rush to defend it. Is anyone able to objectively determine where the line is between acceptable and Song of the South, and how far on either side of that line the cats may be? Maybe it's just safer to err on the side of caution and make a song that doesn't piss anyone off instead of a song that definitely pisses a few people off.

We are white cis male cats if you please..

I don't know why they can't keep the Siamese cat songs, but yeah, I can understand the issue with the heavily exaggerated and stereotypical accents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Disney can suck on these Siamese nuts. I'm not seeing anything offensive about:

We are Siamese if you please
    We are Siamese if you don't please
    We are former residents of Siam
    There are no finer cat than I am

Do you see what I see with my eyes?
    People have been baking up some pies
    Peeping jumping up upon their window
    Though delicious spice we could get into

Who is that who is living in that wire house
    It must be a bird because it's not a mouse
    If we're sneakin' up upon it carefully
    There will be some bird for you and some for me

Do you seeing that thing swimming round and round?
    Maybe we could reaching in and make it drown
    If we're sneakin' up upon it carefully
    There will be some fish for you and some for me
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Of all the problems with Disney you could've pointed out you pick this.

7+ Year Old Account
    How long until we have "Cis White Female and the 7 Height Challenged".

Was surprised to hear about a Lady and the Tramp remake; thought Disney completely forgot about that movie.

5+ Year Old Account
    It's silly, though I just don't bother with Disney at all these days. I outgrew what it is they offer.

Meh. Remakes suck in themselves, me feels.

15+ Year Old Account
    They need to just stop making live action remakes period

Could not care less about disney these days.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...-janelle-monae

Shall we go for another round of pointless stupidity, my fellow forum dwellers? We shall.

The premise: Disney has contracted someone to reinvent The Siamese Cats song for their Lady and the Tramp remake. Why, you may inquire? Because the song has long (been) notorious for its depiction of Asian characters as duplicitous and vicious. . In addition, Variety also reports that the characters are no longer Siamese cats.

And that's it. Let's all enjoy another back & forth session in civilized manner!
    I always thought the outrage over that was silly. How does the fact that these two siamese cats are duplicitous and vicious mean that Disney is implying that all Asian people are the same way? Always felt like people grasping for things to be outraged by.

This is what I am afraid of with Christie Golden rewriting dialogue and lore in warcraft 3. Some random bullshit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    Maybe it's just safer to err on the side of caution and make a song that doesn't piss anyone off instead of a song that definitely pisses a few people off.
    What year do you live in, and how do I get back there? Because the year we currently are living in, 2019, it's not possible to make ANYTHING that wouldn't "piss anyone off". Someone will ALWAYS be pissed off, no matter what you do. Oh, what a beautiful world...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    How long until we have "Cis White Female and the 7 Height Challenged".
    Dude, don't give them ideas
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

7+ Year Old Account
    Is anybody truly surprised by this?

TLDW This was a disclaimer in a looney tunes collection..Whoopie over here basically said "Hey there are some racist jokes on this collection..it was a product of the time, they were wrong then and wrong now but removing them is basically saying it never happened"

Basically...yeah the Siamese cat song is mildly racist...but it was from 1955..so yeah it was racist removing is just closing your ears and saying "NOPE NOPE WE WERE NEVER RACIST EVER"

..let it be the example don't scrub it out

From my understanding they want to mainly change it because the cats were originally depicted as having slant eyes and buck teeth.
    I mean it is understandable to change the visual look of the cats and if you were to have a regular looking house cat and not Siamese cats then the song would not make much sense

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post

TLDW This was a disclaimer in a looney tunes collection..Whoopie over here basically said "Hey there are some racist jokes on this collection..it was a product of the time, they were wrong then and wrong now but removing them is basically saying it never happened"

Basically...yeah the Siamese cat song is mildly racist...but it was from 1955..so yeah it was racist removing is just closing your ears and saying "NOPE NOPE WE WERE NEVER RACIST EVER"

Different situation. If they were taking the original movie and replacing the cats and the song with new cats and a new song I'd agree with you. But that's not what this is...this is a remake.

Also, is anyone really going to have their life negatively affected by this change? Maybe you think making the change is "silly"...but making a big deal out of it is much sillier.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post

Are they taking it out of the original movie? Otherwise I don't get what your issue is.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.