Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The King in Yellow View Post
    They're cats......
    Doesn't that make it all the more stupid/racist for them to have buckteeth and slanted eyes then?

Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    its because rather then actually being racist, the current generation reads into it as being so, because the cats have 'asian' shaped eyes and accents, and 'cultural appropriation' wants it to be so.
    I grew up having watched the animated movie many times, never once did I put talking cats as being racist stereotypes

And if it didn't register as being racist in the past with most people, why then does that only become an issue today?

Maybe because generation snowflake needs to find offense in anything they can?
    Apparently cats that are animated versions of the actual animals are racist now. How absolutely pedantic.

Congrats to the 11 fools who made the ignore list, your ignorance knows no bounds, bravo!

its because rather then actually being racist, the current generation reads into it as being so, because the cats have 'asian' shaped eyes and accents, and 'cultural appropriation' wants it to be so.
    While that's not what cultural appropriation means, I know you like slinging buzzwords around more than you care about their actual meaning hoping they'll make your point for you.

Suffice to say, "slanty-eyed, yellow characters that talk with stereotypical asian accent and cause mischief" is pretty well in line with the "yellow scare" trope.

I grew up having watched the animated movie many times, never once did I put talking cats as being racist stereotypes

And if it didn't register as being racist in the past with most people, why then does that only become an issue today?
    Arguing that people weren't casually racist in 1955 probably isn't the best hill to die on.

Maybe because generation snowflake needs to find offense in anything they can?
    You're getting offended at changing two singing cats in a kid's film.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Apparently cats that are animated versions of the actual animals are racist now. How absolutely pedantic.
    What species of cat has slanted eyes and buck teeth?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Doesn't that make it all the more stupid/racist for them to have buckteeth and slanted eyes then?
    I see them as an entertaining part of the film; seriously. They're mischievous cats; which is a trope/characteristic known to this breed of cats. I find it more racist you just see them as "slant eyes with buck teeth"...

But hey; let's just see racist tropes and stereotypes in everything right?
    Camilla: You, sir, should unmask.
    Stranger: Indeed?
    Cassilda: Indeed, it's time. We have all laid aside disguise but you.
    Stranger: I wear no mask.
    Camilla: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!

Which would be removed in the translation to making them "live action" so nothing racist about it.

I thought the point of the song was that cats are assholes, everything else feels incredibly forced.
    /s

neither am I, since I don't care for any of these live action remakes. I just find it funny seeing the identity politics used to justify such changes.
    Who said has anything to do with identity politics? The song is outdated so it doesn't fit in a modern adaption - the language is antiquated. Why people look deeper into these things than what they baffle me.

Like I said earlier. I make logical sense to make a modern adaption of something if you're not going to present it in terms of contemporary culture.

I see them as an entertaining part of the film; seriously. They're mischievous cats; which is a trope/characteristic known to this breed of cats. I find it more racist you just see them as "slant eyes with buck teeth"...
    How so? Which race did I tie those features to?

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I thought the point of the song was that cats are assholes, everything else feels incredibly forced.
    This, this exactly. This is especially true with the Siamese breed of cats. They're true assholes, but lovable assholes.

How so? Which race did I tie those features to?
    You tell me, heck isn't there a stereotype about every race which you base things of... for example for let's say.... a breed of cats a bit humanized? Would you also be offended about German Shepherds being shown as authoritative, proud and strict/stalwart dogs?
    Last edited by The King in Yellow; 2019-05-09 at 02:18 AM.

Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    The buck teeth and slant eyes....
    So what if it plays a bit off a stereotype? That movie was made 64 years ago. How about just reanimating the characters to look more normalized and keep the existing music? Or is that level of creativity too much work for Disney these days?

Congrats to the 11 fools who made the ignore list, your ignorance knows no bounds, bravo!

So what if it plays a bit off a stereotype? That movie was made 64 years ago. How about just reanimating the characters to look more normalized and keep the existing music? Or is that level of creativity too much work for Disney these days?
    You do know that no one is touching the original right?

It's always been racist. The difference is when the movie came out, what is still considered an Asian minority today was an even smaller minority back then who were relegated to being second class citizens and accepted that role to assimilate into American culture in exchange for a slice of the American dream while serving anyone too lazy to cook Christmas day dinner a hot meal when all American/Italian/Irish establishments were closed.

Today's Asian Americans are the children and grandchildren of those immigrant forefathers who were too humble and afraid to speak up when America was predominantly white. They feel empowered and have the right to speak up if they feel offended. Disney cares more about making money than maintaining old stereotypes. Are some people easily offended? Sure, but it's ultimately Disney's decision, and obviously they don't think it's worth alienating a demographic at the expense of being 100% faithful to the source material. You want racist cats? The classic animated Lady & The Tramp is there for you but Disney can do as they please with their IP if they're re-making it and no amount of whining will change that.

Titan
    What species of cat has slanted eyes and buck teeth?
    None of them. But it certainly plays off a portrayal of Siamese cats based on their origin. They certainly look Oriental in design, but is it really that hard to recreate a film with characters that have different features but still look like Siamese cats?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    It's always been racist. The difference is when the movie came out, what is still considered an Asian minority today was an even smaller minority back then who were relegated to being second class citizens and accepted that role to assimilate into American culture in exchange for a slice of the American dream while serving anyone too lazy to cook Christmas day dinner a hot meal when all American/Italian/Irish establishments were closed.

Today's Asian Americans are the children and grandchildren of those immigrant forefathers who were too humble and afraid to speak up when America was predominantly white. They feel empowered and have the right to speak up if they feel offended. Disney cares more about making money than maintaining old stereotypes. Are some people easily offended? Sure, but it's ultimately Disney's decision, and obviously they don't think it's worth alienating a demographic at the expense of being 100% faithful to the source material. You want racist cats? The classic animated Lady & The Tramp is there for you but Disney can do as they please with their IP if they're re-making it and no amount of whining will change that.
    How would it alienate anyone?

None of them. But it certainly plays off a portrayal of Siamese cats based on their origin. They certainly look Oriental in design, but is it really that hard to recreate a film with characters that have different features but still look like Siamese cats?
    Is it necessary? Will it really change the movie that much if they are different cats and a different song? Isn't the movie more about the dogs?

Honestly.. what I find odd is that, I think, it's white people telling other people; e.g. Asians that this is apparently racist.

Titan
    You do know that no one is touching the original right?
    I never said anything about the original, my comment was in reference to the remake. Keep the song, re-record it and just reanimate the cats with a different look. But apparently that's hard for Disney to fucking do.

They're cats......
    100% right. Cartoon cats are traditionally bucktoothed with slanted eyes

Oh wait.

Honestly.. what I find odd is that, I think, it's white people telling other people; e.g. Asians that this is apparently racist.
    It's not uncommon for people to be offended at behalf of others.