Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    cats don't have square teeth either. your just proved how cartoon character design doesn't have anything to do with stereotypes.
    Except for the part where the creators of the movie (disney) came out and said, yeah this was a stereotype.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    Do you not know what gatekeeping is?
    In the context you used, yes. Do you have a better rebuttal? Because arguing that one way or the other doesn't further the discussion at hand. Are you trying to make it about me, or are you trying to prove an intelligible point?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Its not the original though so why keep an old fashioned song that makes no sense in the modern era?
    Because every other Disney rehash thus far has done the exact same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Micfeind View Post
    From my understanding they want to mainly change it because the cats were originally depicted as having slant eyes and buck teeth.
    I mean it is understandable to change the visual look of the cats and if you were to have a regular looking house cat and not Siamese cats then the song would not make much sense
    Siamese cats typically look like the siamese cats I just posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    excuse me?

Ah look, a kind of siamese cat... let me show you the other one:

Last edited by The King in Yellow; 2019-05-09 at 02:37 AM.
    Camilla: You, sir, should unmask.
    Stranger: Indeed?
    Cassilda: Indeed, it's time. We have all laid aside disguise but you.
    Stranger: I wear no mask.
    Camilla: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    its because rather then actually being racist, the current generation reads into it as being so, because the cats have 'asian' shaped eyes and accents, and 'cultural appropriation' wants it to be so.
    I grew up having watched the animated movie many times, never once did I put talking cats as being racist stereotypes

And if it didn't register as being racist in the past with most people, why then does that only become an issue today?

Maybe because generation snowflake needs to find offense in anything they can?
    Yeah, that's silly. Kids will see cute cats singing a song. They may have an accent, but that's hardly offensive. It's not like they're using Engrish. "You dog! Lun fo yo rife! You die now! We kirr you!"
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

My point was why only talk about asian americans. They are not the only asians.
    Because culturally, Asian Americans, by virtue of being Americans, are more likely to whine about the portrayal of Siamese cats in a movie produced by an American company? I'm not trying to champion Asians across the globe from Little China, Chicago, all the way to the butcher in Chiang Khong, Thailand. This discussion predominantly involves American butt hurting, be it white Americans or Asian Americans.

So #gatekeeping. Got it.
    I call it staying on topic, but ok. I know that's hard in most threads, but I guess it's why we need mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Probably not appropriate nowadays, but I still think it’s stupid that we’ve come to this.
    You said yourself it isn't appropriate...so why is it stupid that we've come to this....when "this" is "hey, let's try to avoid using racist caricatures in our movie"
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Do you know what bothers me? People pulling their eyes and going "tjing tjong kines" or thinking I'm a prostitute because I'm thai or thinking I'm a ladyboy or being denied to rent an apartment because of my name being foreign. Cats in a movie? Nope.

- - - Updated - - -

This is an international forum.
    Just because you're not offended by what you might consider trivial doesn't mean it's trivial to someone else and no one else has the right to be offended. No one lives in a geocentric universe, and stereotypes, especially in America have been known to have negative effects on people. Just read half the goofball posts the mouth breathers championing to keep their racist cats in this thread are saying and it should tell you enough.

This is an international forum.
    And you're welcome to voice your opinion. I clarified I'm not championing all Asians against racist Siamese cat portrayals. I was explaining why Asian Americans might be offended by a racist stereotype from the 50's. If any Asian American disagrees with anything I said and feel misrepresented by my broad brush stroke opinions, they're welcome to bring it up with me.

Race discussions are not allowed. closing now...