Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Converting Classic/Vanilla Graphics to Current Retail

Is it possible to use the current BFA assets on Classic by simply moving the texture / terrain packages? The reason I'm asking is because Classic Retail is running on the current gen architecture. Will it be possible? I'm all for Classic and I can't wait but I'd really like to have the updated current-game graphics. I understand this is controversial so lets please try to stay on topic. Thanks all.

They could, they won't.

Will we be able to do it ourselves as players though? Like mod our own client locally with the packages to convert our own visuals?

Quote Originally Posted by Peppers View Post
    Will we be able to do it ourselves as players though? Like mod our own client locally with the packages to convert our own visuals?
    No, if you mess with the files they'll have you banned. Same as with addons that changes textures and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Peppers View Post
    Not possible without breaking Blizzard's T's & C's, given the nature of WoW as an MMO in the past the methods used to modify textures in MPQ files before they got superseded by the modern equivalent could also be used to exploit ingame assets i.e remove walls & terrain in AQ40 to go straight to C'thun or make treasure chests the size of SW keep allowing you to open them miles away from their spawn point.

It's possible, but you'd be playing with fire considering their stance on such injectors now. But there is a chance, because it's a client-side only change to the visuals and it's not like the 7.3.5 shaders, lighting engine, and graphics settings are anywhere near as jank as Classic actually was.

Did they not say they would allow players to choose whether to show old/new models for player characters? Am I mistaken on that?

Yes it is possible but not allowed. You might get banned like plenty of people just recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyr78 View Post
    Yes it is possible but not allowed. You might get banned like plenty of people just recently.
    All I needed to know. Thank you. Shame because all I wanted was the updated graphics. Oh well.

High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account
    For world/terrain textures it would be way too much work. The zones were updated after Cataclysm, so they do not look like the original zones.

lol i bet it will still use the new water rendering and shadows

if the water isn't an ugly animated low res tiling texture and if shadows are more defined than a round blob beneath characters its not the real vanilla experience

In the beta the graphics were set on a "Classic" profile by default that turned all the graphics settings down to mimic what It looked like back then. You can just go into the settings and put the sliders all the way up like you can in retail. It won't have any new things from BFA onwards though as it uses the Legion client.

Quote Originally Posted by Oncereborn View Post
    In the beta the graphics were set on a "Classic" profile by default that turned all the graphics settings down to mimic what It looked like back then. You can just go into the settings and put the sliders all the way up like you can in retail. It won't have any new things from BFA onwards though as it uses the Legion client.
    lmao

and here I thought I was trolling

I'm pretty against changes and I'm fairly okay with updated graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by clownpenisfart View Post
    lmao

and here I thought I was trolling
    Well it may also be a little more complicated than that as It did include things like old weather effects so maybe the Classic profile does more than just turn the settings down? Not really sure.

We're not certain whether the update graphics have new spell effects (unlikely), models (maybe?), or higher-res textures (more likely). I'm also on the no-changes team but having an option to toggle the update spell effects for melee abilities, fireball/combustion, etc would be pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Oncereborn View Post
    Well it may also be a little more complicated than that as It did include things like old weather effects so maybe the Classic profile does more than just turn the settings down? Not really sure.
    I mean if they really went out of their way to reimplement or reactivate some outdated rendering code it's peak misguided nostalgia

You can edit Textures and Models, like we did in Retail for the past 10 Years. But whats the point then? I saw people playing Vanilla on Private Servers and they modelswapped in Legion Mounts and stuff like that, which is really weird.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    I'm pretty against changes and I'm fairly okay with updated graphics.
    This. Especially since it's optional. If there are indeed pplz who really want old gfx they can go for it themselves, while it's not their business what gfx I got

#NoChanges on gameplay mech ofc
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret81
    I´ve heard, there will be Epic loot as normal quest rewards in Cata while you level.
    To make the quest feel more epic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it is possible, it's just a simple mod. Wait few weeks and you'll see players using modern models.