Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Can you please give some more information on this? I'd love some details.

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    Yes, it is possible, it's just a simple mod. Wait few weeks and you'll see players using modern models.
    can't wait for people crying that they were banned for injecting unofficial character models

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppers View Post
    Can you please give some more information on this? I'd love some details.
    Google "WoW Model Editing". I'm sure that post with links to OC will be deleted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by clownpenisfart View Post
    can't wait for people crying that they were banned for injecting unofficial character models
    That would be pretty stupid reason to ban.

Google "WoW Model Editing". I'm sure that post with links to OC will be deleted.

- - - Updated - - -

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...ensions/161149

It's not that stupid when you consider the amount of cheating that can be achieved through assets replacement. IIRC a lot of things such as collisions, and possibly los checks are done only client side. Replace some static models and you can go through walls etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Except you will get banned if you decide to change assets. It has happened before.

youtube.com/watch?v=1NlIgLJsY48

atleast in the beta you can change the graphics? starting at 12:16 on the video

Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    And if you won't be playing on shitty 1024x768 monitor with 20fps, it won't be real vanilla experience either.

Real vanilla experience is not possible. Computer hardware is massively better, monitors are much bigger.
    thats it, im not playing vanilla unless they add a crt shader

I was hopeing they were going to create a fully remastered classic. Updated textures/models for everything but the same gameplay letting you switch back and forth between them if you want. Similar to what 343 did with Halo 1/2.

Quote Originally Posted by FireVoodoo View Post
    This. Especially since it's optional. If there are indeed pplz who really want old gfx they can go for it themselves, while it's not their business what gfx I got

#NoChanges on gameplay mech ofc
    Just forget it dude, Blizzard isn't going to add updated models and textures. It's going to be too much of an effort and it can cause many issues, especially if they'd also update the terrain and buildings.

- - - Updated - - -

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...ensions/161149

It's not that stupid when you consider the amount of cheating that can be achieved through assets replacement. IIRC a lot of things such as collisions, and possibly los checks are done only client side. Replace some static models and you can go through walls etc.
    Yup that's what people are doing all the time on private servers that have a bad anti cheat.

For example there used to be a WSG mod where you could take the enemy's flag and then you could get to your side with a bridge that was under the world map.
    Or the Molten Core mod where you could mine dark iron ore without mobs ever aggroing you.

And that's also a good example on why an official "optional" world edit is a terrible idea, because different terrain/models/textures can cause these kinds of issues.

EDIT: Maybe that's important to add: Blizzard however does have these checks server-side, but they aren't perfect and you'll only get disconnected when they detect that you're like way out of the map
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2019-05-10 at 07:35 PM.

they should emulate the game grinding down to 1 fps when approaching ironforge as it did for most people who only had 512mb of ram, for authenticity

Quote Originally Posted by clavius View Post
    youtube.com/watch?v=1NlIgLJsY48

atleast in the beta you can change the graphics? starting at 12:16 on the video
    You can't change the textures and terrains with these options, just water/shader effects, ground clutter etc

- - - Updated - - -

they should emulate the game grinding down to 1 fps when approaching ironforge as it did for most people who only had 512mb of ram, for authenticity
    This shit is still happening to me (not that extreme tho) and I have a decent PC (Ryzen 5 CPU, rx 570 8gb graphics). I can have solid 60fps+ with 4k and high settings, but whenever there are many players combined with smoke, mist effects it can easily drop to 20 fps (at least when these effects are directly in front of me)

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Yes. There will no doubt be community patches that do this like there are on private servers, though they’re against the ToS on live.

Hopefully Blizzard will give us the option to change to newer models officially but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by wysimdnwyg View Post
    Did they not say they would allow players to choose whether to show old/new models for player characters? Am I mistaken on that?
    They haven't said anything about that AFAIK. So it's still in the table for all we know.

I would say no... it would take a lot of work to get the older models updated to look proper on newer models.

7+ Year Old Account

Unhappy

Less than a month has past, and these p@@p surfaced again.

Also...
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2019-05-11 at 07:58 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

I dont think its possible for terrain - had to remake everything from the scratch. It is possible for models though, especially character models - I dont see a problem to add an inferface option (maybe several for different types) to switch from classic to current models - this does not affect gameplay in any way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppers View Post
    Will we be able to do it ourselves as players though? Like mod our own client locally with the packages to convert our own visuals?
    Sure, if you want to end up having your account sanctioned for hacking.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

- - - Updated - - -

and yet they have done it since the very beginning of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you read that link? They banned people who used edits for character models unintentionally and they lifted those bans. That means that they have tools to find out whether that model edit was harmless or it was made for exploits.

I have a dick, so I have technical ability to rape someone. Does that mean that I must be jailed? Most of people are doing harmless model edits for their own pleasure. Blizzard has tools to check that. A lot of people does that. They won't be banned. Relax.

Did you read that link? They banned people who used edits for character models unintentionally and they lifted those bans. That means that they have tools to find out whether that model edit was harmless or it was made for exploits.
    Did you read it correctly?

They banned both people who had done code injection in the client and people who only replaced models. For the later, since they determined that there was a popular character replacement tool around, they decided to unban them and let them go with a warning, this time.

However since they can't distinguish whether a model replacement is a harmless titty mod (let's be honest here) or for instance editing an arena map to remove pillars, they are going to ban people doing this as well going forward. As they did in the past pretty much since the beginning, as others have pointed out.