Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Slavery is not making a comeback. Or women's voting rights or only property owners being allowed to vote. :P
    Coming back?
    It never left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh hey, here's some text for a proposed amendment to Kentucky's abortion bill:

It's totally not about controlling women or anything, you guys. We pinky swear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Oh hey, here's some text for a proposed amendment to Kentucky's abortion bill:

It's totally not about controlling women or anything, you guys. We pinky swear.
    That's a joke, right? There's no way someone actually proposed that as actual legislation.

Edit: Oh, fucking hell.

https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/reco...HB148/HFA2.pdf

Edit: And the source for said document, because I want to be super clear that it's fucking real;
    https://legiscan.com/KY/bill/HB148/2019

It's the third "Amendment" entry under "Kentucky State Sources", the one with the link ending if HFA2.pdf
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-05-21 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a joke, right? There's no way someone actually proposed that as actual legislation.
    You know it's beyond the pale when the fucking GOVERNMENT is running afoul of Poe's Law.

10+ Year Old Account

Edit: And the source for said document, because I want to be super clear that it's fucking real;

It's the third "Amendment" entry under "Kentucky State Sources", the one with the link ending if HFA2.pdf
    Don't worry I did a spit-take when it cropped up on my feed too.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account

Looks like it was proposed by a democrat, and is intentionally supposed to be stupid. Much like the "make male masturbation punishable, all sperm is sacred" thing that pops up occasionally.

See her history of making fun here: https://www.kentucky.com/news/politi...196345904.html

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Looks like it was proposed by a democrat, and is intentionally supposed to be stupid.
    Phew, thank god. Still, the very fact that this was even in question is not a good look for Alabama.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like it was proposed by a democrat, and is intentionally supposed to be stupid. Much like the "make male masturbation punishable, all sperm is sacred" thing that pops up occasionally.

See her history of making fun here: https://www.kentucky.com/news/politi...196345904.html
    That's a risky fucking game, when we live in a world where the Republicans might just nod and sign off on the "joke".

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a risky fucking game, when we live in a world where the Republicans might just nod and sign off on the "joke".
    Maybe, but it is hilarious. Its often obviously not passed because of its obvious satirical nature. It would also make the bill obviously unconstitutional even fi Roe v Wade was overturned.

I have a suggestion for a design they can put on the ankle monitors:

But it is sad when Republicans have gone so far off the deep end that you literally can't tell the difference any more.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2019-05-21 at 05:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, maybe this was funny back in 2010 but these days....No.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.newsweek.com/alabama-abo...h-care-1426643

To the folks in this thread talking about how this was "about the sanctity of life" and "caring for a child".

It's not.

At all.
    I know anecdotal evidence isn't evidence, but someone on r/atheism posted her story about how she was born out of wedlock to a 14 year old mother. Being a bastard, she spent her whole life being mistreated by a baptist church and used as an example in front of the clergy as to why premarital sex is evil.

The fourteen year old mother was forced to have a child so she would be punished for her misdeed, for having sex. Her daughter's whole life was to be a punishment for the mother.

The daughter got out of all of that.

It was never about caring for a child. It's about punishment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Do you Americans understand that up until now your gun touting bullshit was bordering insanity compared to the rest of the world, but with this now you've pole jumped yourself into batshitcrazyland.
    Yes, and it drives rational Americans nuts.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I know anecdotal evidence isn't evidence, but someone on r/atheism posted her story about how she was born out of wedlock to a 14 year old mother. Being a bastard, she spent her whole life being mistreated by a baptist church and used as an example in front of the clergy as to why premarital sex is evil.

The fourteen year old mother was forced to have a child so she would be punished for her misdeed, for having sex. Her daughter's whole life was to be a punishment for the mother.

The daughter got out of all of that.

It was never about caring for a child. It's about punishment.
    Absolutely. This is also why it's utterly useless to point out that abstinence-only sex ed leads to greater unwanted pregnancies: it's a feature, not a bug--they want every threat of consequences for sex--for girls, anyway--at max capacity all the time: pregnancies you can't end legally, std's, even fucking cancer, which is why they opposed the HPV vaccine.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

I just . . . I can't believe . . . what the fuck is wrong with people? And it's sponsored by a woman . . . .

I was going to point a detail about the AL abortion law conveniently leaving out frozen embryos in fertility clinics, proving yet again this is all about controlling women.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Like, yeah I get the satire of it in pointing out how absolutely draconian this shit is. But I'm actually afraid some of these knuckledraggers are gonna look at this and go 'HUH, yeah that seems about right!' and try and vote it through while at the same time using the shield of "BUT A DUMMACRAT PROPOSED IT!!" to lazily deflect criticism about their own shitty ethical choices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Like, yeah I get the satire of it in pointing out how absolutely draconian this shit is. But I'm actually afraid some of these knuckledraggers are gonna look at this and go 'HUH, yeah that seems about right!' and try and vote it through while at the same time using the shield of "BUT A DUMMACRAT PROPOSED IT!!" to lazily deflect criticism about their own shitty ethical choices.
    I guess that is a valid fear, but I imagine we'd need more radicalization form the right before that happens. Currently, at least in my state, we do have Republicans that demolish those kinds of bills from their extreme peers. I cant speak to how it is in Alabama or Kentucky.

You'd also need an extreme and politicalized SC (so beyond Gorsich and Kauv. Think an army of Thomases) to overtturn equal protection.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I guess that is a valid fear, but I imagine we'd need more radicalization form the right before that happens. Currently, at least in my state, we do have Republicans that demolish those kinds of bills from their extreme peers. I cant speak to how it is in Alabama or Kentucky.

You'd also need an extreme and politicalized SC (so beyond Gorsich and Kauv. Think an army of Thomases) to overtturn equal protection.
    I guess this whole circus of right-leaning legislators making - sometimes I feel intentionally - shitty decisions about just about everything has kinda worn me down. I know the voting public isn't all a hive-mind, and there are lines folk won't cross for whatever reason, but I really don't have faith in the legislators who put forward this draconian nonsense in the first place.

I have my doubts that these laws will get to the Supreme Court. Most likely they will be struck down at the state level and the Supreme Court will refuse to take these cases.

It is obvious that these laws that restrict access to abortion are not an effective way to end or greatly reduce the number of abortions because people will continue to have abortions regardless of the law.

The Bad Old Days: Abortion in America Before Roe v. Wade

Septic wards

Every large municipal hospital in the U.S. had a “septic ward,” filled with women suffering from infections after these interventions. At Bellevue Hospital in New York City from 1940-1954, more than 7,000 cases of incomplete abortion were treated, and a third were complicated by infection.

Discrimination

Women of means sometimes could find a physician to help, or they could travel to a country like Sweden where abortion was available. In the 1950s, access to safe, hospital abortions was related to socioeconomic status and race. In New York City, the abortion ratio in municipal hospitals caring for the poor was 1 per 1,000 births; the ratio was six times higher in private hospitals. Clearly, safety could be bought. Access to safe, hospital abortions was racist as well. In 1960-62, abortion ratios for Puerto Rican women were 0.1 per 1,000 births, 0.5 for African-American women, and 2.6 for white women.

Safety, then and now

In the year I was born, U.S. vital statistics reported that more than 700 women died from abortion. The true number was substantially higher, and the population of the country was less than half of that today. In 2010, the most recent year with data available, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported 10 deaths from abortion nationwide. Why the profound change? The principal reason was the legalization of abortion in America. Childbirth-related deaths have decreased over the decades, but not so dramatically. To me, it seems clear: Access to safe, legal abortion saved women’s lives.

Based on the available data, we know how to reduce the number of abortions - by being honest about how and when people have sex and giving people the information they need to have sex responsibly. Yet most who favor these highly restrictive laws do not seem terribly interested in pursuing policies that would do any of these things. Every state that has passed a restrictive law around abortion in recent weeks requires that sex education “stress” abstinence. Neither Alabama nor Missouri mandates sex education, though when it is taught, both states require that it emphasize the importance of “sex only within marriage.” Georgia, which does mandate sex education, does not require that information about contraception be included.

These people are not interested in preventing abortions, they are instead interested in enforcing their own reactionary views with regard to women and sex. They are using abortion policy as a covert means by which to dictate the sexual behavior of another person. If laws like those recently passed in Alabama and Georgia succeed, they will not bring an end to abortion. Instead, they will punish the most marginalized and the most vulnerable.

5+ Year Old Account
    Chipping in, while I am actually in favor of providing abortion, I'm not in favor of providing it as a form of birth control (on request) due to this leading to an unintended false positive when it comes to equal rights...

I do favor more reproductive education on the federal level (actual education and not the Puritanical variant) though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Bolivar
    The US seems destined by providence to plague America with torments in the name of freedom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AsGryffynn View Post
    Chipping in, while I am actually in favor of providing abortion, I'm not in favor of providing it as a form of birth control (on request) due to this leading to an unintended false positive when it comes to equal rights...
    What on earth is an "equal rights false positive".