Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What's the best/worst video game of all time?

What video game stands as your favorite/least favorite game of all time?

The problem with a question like that is that games keep improving, and people have different favorite genres. How do you even gauge "best"? What qualities do you use? Story? Gameplay? Music?
    Happiness is peace in motion.

There is thousands of PC and console games, some of them are hidden gems not known to wide public.

My favorite game (s) are the Trails of Cold Steel saga! Also known as Sen no Kiseki. It is a four part story set in the Erebonian Empire, an aristocratic and imperialist nation on the brink of civil war. It is an era of unprecedented upheaval, where the feudal system which has lasted unchallenged for thousands of years is now being threatened by the Orbal Revolution. The common man who previously would have had no chance against trained knights, can now fight on equal footing with any other person. The new merchant and middle classes can collaborate and build their own empires independent of the aristocracy. In fact, banks are now so powerful, they are capable of bringing down entire nations, something which has never happened before. The idea of a woman's role is slowly being challenged. The very idea of answering to a hereditary ruler is being challenged, and democracy has been recently rediscovered for the first time in nearly 1200 years. The very existence of the Calvard Republic is a threat to all of the surrounding kingdoms, whose people have taken notice of Calvard's success and are now pushing for revolution.

In the midst of this chaos, one young man, Rean Schwarzer, finds himself lost in the world, unable to find happiness or a place to call home. He decides to throw his life away and become an army officer, and enrolls at Thors Military Academy (which, due to the lack of any prominent wars in the past seventy years, has since then become more of a general college). In doing so, he inadvertently finds himself welcomed into a new home and brought into a new family, one that changes him in ways he could never have imaged, but he must soon decide where he will stand in the wars to come...

I've never found a game like Trails of Cold Steel with such a tight knit story. It's a story about identity, how it is shaped by the communities in which we live in, and how we cannot live outside of society. In ToCS, each and every NPC and character in the game isn't just some prop to dispense useful gameplay tips that one time you talk to them; they each have their own hopes and dreams. Each day, they go about their own business. Tyzel, diligently helps out her father Brandon by cleaning outside their shop in the morning and helping move around merchandise, and then goes out to play with Kurt, Emilie, and Annie in the afternoon. Gordon, a salaryman who comes home too exhausted interact with his wife Melissa, and undergoes a mid-life crisis as he becomes frustrated with himself because he knows he could be more. Alan, a commoner who followed the young noble girl who he had a crush on since childhood, Bridget, to Thors, trying his damnedest to become the best man he can be even when opposed by the nobles of Class I. They, and countless other "NPCs" are fully fleshed out characters whose stories you follow across the series. Erebonia feels alive, and its people shapes who Rean is as a person and the choices he makes. I found ToCS's core themes of identity and community to be incredibly intriguing, and that's not even talking about the main story, which was engaging from beginning to end, seeing characters grow in unexpected ways and the political intrigue thicken.

I cannot recommend the first game enough!

========================================================

Worst game? Hm... Sonic Riders, I suppose. I at least finished the game, but I would not recommend it. The controls were finicky and the racing gameplay was not fun, and the courses ran on for far too long. I liked Storm's design.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - Druid / Steam / MyAnimeList / IMDB - - - - - - - - - - - -

X-COM: Terror From the Deep hands down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by jannes View Post
    What video game stands as your favorite/least favorite game of all time?
    You asked two similar but different questions. The absolute worst game of all time is E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial which was the poster child of the biggest, and so far only, video game crash.
    Expansion leak claiming Legion is the last expansion
    Quote Originally Posted by golds
    NO it will be me laughing at how you doubted this....
    Quote Originally Posted by golds
    I was right

I like how gaming outlets often put together a top 20 or top 50 and it always triggers people when their favourites don't make the cut or aren't in the top positions.

Best game ever is Nethack.

Only game I have consistently been playing for over 20 years.
    Just eight countries in the region are responsible for about 63 percent of total plastic waste flowing into the oceans. Little of that junk has been exported by rich economies. Instead, it's almost solely generated by Asia's newly minted consumer classes, the vast majority of whom lack awareness to garbage collection, modern landfills and incineration. Any progress in reducing ocean plastic will have to start with them. Bloomberg. 2018.

Best is kh2fm obviously

Worst is FUCKING GLOVER AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Best ones for me are:

and

Worst would be some off-road racing game that I got in a humble bundle in 2014. I mean the game was free for me and I still found it so offensive as an entertainment product that it is the only game to this day I have removed from my library once Steam let you do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    You asked two similar but different questions. The absolute worst game of all time is E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial which was the poster child of the biggest, and so far only, video game crash.
    He asked what "YOUR" favorite and least favorite game was, unless you had the displeasure of playing ET... then I feel bad for you lol.

Best for me would be probably wow between TBC and Mop, most enjoyable hours spent in any game period...

Worst... if we don't count some questionable mobile games... The Isle, I just found it so BORING.

Tough choices but I'm going to go with a different choice this time for my favorite game:

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - I replayed the shit out of this from just having the Sonic 3 portion in early 1994 and then the complete game later that fall. I must have logged 200+ hours into it from 1994-1998 (Saturn release of Sonic Jam got me to get everyone unlocked to Hyper again).

Castlevania Bloodlines, Contra Hardcorp, Demon Crest, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star IV, Donkey Kong Classics, Blaster Master, Yoshi's Island, Jackie Chan's Action Kung-Fu (TG16 version), Splatterhouse 1&2, Crusader of Centy (I vastly preferred this masterpiece to Zelda III), Link's Awakening, Secret of Mana, Gunstar Heroes, Wonder Boy in Monster World, and many others were games I replayed the shit out of at the time too.

Rise of the Robots is the worst game I have ever played.

Clayfighter, Quest 64, Bad Street Brawler, Traysia, Super Pitfall, Waterworld, and a few others are very close runner ups.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pit peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Catgirl View Post
    Clayfighter, Quest 64, Bad Street Brawler, Traysia, Super Pitfall, Waterworld, and a few others are very close runner ups.
    I think the worst part honestly is that Quest 64 HAD potential at least.

The whole element leveling system was interesting, the idea of being able to combine the elements on the go to cast new spells.
    The combat wasn't...that bad either I guess? I mean, it could have been far better, but it was obviously inventive at least.

But then it just fell all apart on execution. Everything felt so bland and barren. It honestly felt like at some point after putting so much effort into those two things they were just like... "Oh, wait, we need a story!".

So yeah, Quest 64 is gonna be my worst.

Best? That's hard to say. Strictly going by a game I beat and keep going back to over the years I'd say Super Mario World, but there's still games like Tales of Symphonia that I adore but don't have the time to sink another 90 hours into.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I think the worst part honestly is that Quest 64 HAD potential at least.

The whole element leveling system was interesting, the idea of being able to combine the elements on the go to cast new spells.
    The combat wasn't...that bad either I guess? I mean, it could have been far better, but it was obviously inventive at least.

But then it just fell all apart on execution. Everything felt so bland and barren. It honestly felt like at some point after putting so much effort into those two things they were just like... "Oh, wait, we need a story!".

So yeah, Quest 64 is gonna be my worst.

Best? That's hard to say. Strictly going by a game I beat and keep going back to over the years I'd say Super Mario World, but there's still games like Tales of Symphonia that I adore but don't have the time to sink another 90 hours into.
    Yeah you dont even have time to post here anymore

Best: Super Mario Bros. 3

Worst: Any of the shovelware titles on the original Wii
    "For years now I've found it to be a such a strange honor to be followed around the internet by expert interpreters, who take plain words in English and replace them with other, more loaded words in English." - Posted by Zarhym

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    So mean! Gosh!

Maybe he's playing S3&K?

lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Best: Super Mario Bros. 3

Worst: Any of the shovelware titles on the original Wii
    Hey, you leave the Konami Rebirth titles out of this!

God, I wish they would rerelease those....
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pit peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Whoa, dem fighting words.

finals week is almost over, and the forums drain me too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Catgirl View Post
    So mean! Gosh!

Maybe he's playing S3&K?

lol

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, you leave the Konami Rebirth titles out of this!

God, I wish they would rerelease those....
    I've never actually played sonic and knuckles admittedly

If we're talking about best game of all time, I have a REALLY difficult time not nominating World of Warcraft. Like it or hate it, there's no denying the influence it had on the entire gaming industry and how gaming is perceived by the general public.

I'd put Street Fighter 2 up there as a major player with a similar effect, just not quite as widespread in its effect as WoW.

Worst game of all time? Memerunner. No question. Hands down the worst thing to ever exist.
    Happiness is peace in motion.

Best? God, I really don't know. There are some really good ones, but nothing really jumps out as "best". Different games are good for different things.
    Dishonored, Dust: An Elysian Tail, A Hat in Time, Dark Souls 3, Ori and the Blind Forest, DOOM, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Sniper Elite 4, Spec Ops: The Line, WoW, and Warframe are all good for different reasons.

As for worst? Same thing, just different list. I forget most of the bad games I play though, so can't write it down

Best is Witcher 3 for obvious reasons.
    Worst is harder to say. It depends. Right now I would say Shadow of War. Lazy letdown filled with padding and senseless lore, since the dlc contradicted the main game's ending. It is especially bad because the series had potential with the first installment.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    games keep improving,
    I think conceptually we about faced and started running backwards, real fast.

I am trying to think of a game that really beats out it's predecessors that has be made this century. Mostly it has been popularisation. Games like DN3D, Quake, Unreal, Half life were an absolute tour de force of innovation in the FPS space when they came out. I struggle to see anything but refinement.

Then there was WoW, but the competition has been an utter miasma of "me too" that is largely the state of the entire industry right now or complete junk as far as I am concerned.

The only real thing I see that has a significant improvement is the survival genre that is now all but played out. Anything like Rimworld to minecraft to Project Zomboid, they did not really allow you that freedom before. But right now that is all the comes to mind. The fact that there are easy dev kits to make something that looks pretty polished can't hide the lack of gameplay innovation imo but that is just me. That is before you even start discussing this dark, dark cloud that is MTX.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    X-COM: Terror From the Deep hands down.
    I can't really pick just one so I will let you pick for me

Worst? Of the bat, Starforge lol. Early access wins every time.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.