Horde Gear scaling and pvp

Hey all, I'm having trouble deciding a class to pick in wow classic and have narrowed it down to warlocks and hunters.

Pvping will be my main goal in classic, however I plan to raid for gear and have a few questions about how these classes will scale in regards to pvp.

I know hunters are supposed to scale badly with gear so I imagine in the early days they would be quite strong however I wonder if they will become incredibly weak later in the game? And with warlocks will they be weak early game and strengthen up late game?

Or is the gear scaling only related to pve?

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Knastorzane View Post
    Hey all, I'm having trouble deciding a class to pick in wow classic and have narrowed it down to warlocks and hunters.

Pvping will be my main goal in classic, however I plan to raid for gear and have a few questions about how these classes will scale in regards to pvp.

I know hunters are supposed to scale badly with gear so I imagine in the early days they would be quite strong however I wonder if they will become incredibly weak later in the game? And with warlocks will they be weak early game and strengthen up late game?

Or is the gear scaling only related to pve?

Thanks all!
    Im going hunter, nothing hard counters you. I remember the pre TBC patch when they put GM gear on honor vendors i got my hunter fully kitted out, an aimed>multi>auto>arcane combo killed most clothies, if they managed to live you can scatter trap and do it all over again lol.

There were rank 14s of every class. Play what you'll enjoy. I played lock / warrior / hunter in pvp throughout all of Vanilla and never had any issues with any of them.

Cheers guys, just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be gimped at certain points in the game so I could consistently wreck alliance scum all throughout.

Be careful when people tell you about which class was good or bad during classic, they did significant class revamps throughout classic and class balance changed drastically, with some classes going overnight from being the butts of all jokes to overpowered pvp gods. Nostalgia tends to make people's memory selective.

As of patch 1.12 warlocks were the most overpowered class in pvp. I incidentally can't wait to read the classic pvp forums when it goes live. I think people forgot a lot of things.

Quote Originally Posted by clownpenisfart View Post
    Be careful when people tell you about which class was good or bad during classic, they did significant class revamps throughout classic and class balance changed drastically, with some classes going overnight from being the butts of all jokes to overpowered pvp gods. Nostalgia tends to make people's memory selective.

As of 1.12 warlocks were the most overpowered class in pvp. I incidentally can't wait to read the classic pvp forums when it goes live. I think people forgot a lot of things.
    I personally think Blizzard will stealth tweak numbers for "balance"... no would know. People could be suspicious, sure. But how could you prove anything? Like you said, with selective memories, inaccurate numbers on pservers, and so many years between... there is no "correct" balance. Gives Blizzard a chance to adjust things.

As of patch 1.12 warlocks were the most overpowered class in pvp. I incidentally can't wait to read the classic pvp forums when it goes live. I think people forgot a lot of things.
    Ya locks are strong but you arent killing a hunter unless you get the jump on him and into deathcoil range, plus hunters are just overall better for BG's.

First of all: You won't see more than 30 players per faction and server reaching rk 14. It's mathematically impossible.
    PvP is most of all about killing someone within a few GCDs, so it's rather burst vs. CC chains/def CDs than "DPS".
    Last edited by Nightstalker; 2019-05-10 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    I personally think Blizzard will stealth tweak numbers for "balance"... no would know. People could be suspicious, sure. But how could you prove anything? Like you said, with selective memories, inaccurate numbers on pservers, and so many years between... there is no "correct" balance. Gives Blizzard a chance to adjust things.
    Ive never played on private servers, my only memories from vanilla are from 2006, they aint tainted by private servers lol. Lots of people like myself out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Ive never played on private servers, my only memories from vanilla are from 2006, they aint tainted by private servers lol. Lots of people like myself out there.
    Do you think you would know well enough if things were tweaked by 5%-ish? Not being smarmy, honestly asking.

Do you think you would know well enough if things were tweaked by 5%-ish? Not being smarmy, honestly asking.
    Probably actually, i remember exactly when i got my first 3k eviscerate and what gear i was wearing. THats just for one class tho, hunter was my alt and i wouldnt be able to tell there.

But thats an odd discussion anyways, they have no reason to do stealth nerfs, they are trying to re-create it as it was in 06.

I think what will surprise people the most is CC duration. It wasn't capped to 6 seconds in PvP back then. And the trinkets had a 5min cooldown.
    People back then didn't enjoy sitting in a 20 seconds fear while being dotted to death, and I doubt they'll enjoy it any more now.

I think what will surprise people the most is CC duration. It wasn't capped to 6 seconds in PvP back then. And the trinkets had a 5min cooldown.
    People back then didn't enjoy sitting in a 20 seconds fear while being dotted to death, and I doubt they'll enjoy it any more now.
    Eh. I agree it's annoying when you lose control of your character for absurd amounts of time, but the trick to not caring is not caring. It blows my mind how afraid of dying people are in world pvp. There are almost no penalties!

The good of classic far outweigh the bad.

Eh. I agree it's annoying when you lose control of your character for absurd amounts of time, but the trick to not caring is not caring. It blows my mind how afraid of dying people are in world pvp. There are almost no penalties!

The good of classic far outweigh the bad.
    Not enjoying frustratingly poorly designed mechanics and being afraid of dying in world pvp are two different things. Classic was just an awfully bad game from nowadays standards. Even compared to BfA.

Not enjoying frustratingly poorly designed mechanics and being afraid of dying in world pvp are two different things. Classic was just an awfully bad game from nowadays standards. Even compared to BfA.
    Some things, yes. Many, many other things, no. They are two completely different games that cater to two completely different audiences. Not sure why both sides can't get along. It's like if half the people really liked Zelda OoT and the other half preferred Chess...