Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Tell us your ideas to make professions good again! :D

Many of us don't like how professions are now, others simply say it's fine.

For you, that you don't like how they are now, tell me what you would suggest.

I want glyphs to be a certain way of enchant on armor-type instead of piece-type on a new window where we can add the enchant on a slot type like:
    Hands. Instead of "Crusade Pummelers" direct enchant.

How about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Annka View Post

I want glyphs to be a certain way of enchant on armor-type instead of piece-type on a new window where we can add the enchant on a slot type like:

How about you?
    I know all the craft persons are going to scream, "OH NO MY PROFITS!"

But...

I would like to see each class have an innate crafting ability. Plate wearers get smithing, leather wearers get leatherworking and clothies get tailoring.

This innate crafting will serve as a type of bad luck protection. As you raid or do mythics and kill bosses, you get materials, then these materials can be used to make class specific armor. This could go a long ways towards eliminating armor vendors.

The rest of the profession skills like jewel crafting, tinkering, alchemy, herbalism, mining etc... would work as usual, anyone can learn any two of those skills.

And of course the fishing, cooking type skills, can be learned by anyone who cares to learn them.

- P

As long as your idea doesn't involve bringing back Garrisons, anything can work.

Now that I think about it, running a Garrison was not entirely unlike running a gambling op. If you ever got too frustrated, you knew where the cash out button was.

But what we have right now is infinitely worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    A specific way? Don't know, but more craftables that don't become irrelevant as soon as you craft them (hyperbole)

Cut off the gangrene, that's my idea. Oh no my RPG yeah well it's not the first RPG aspect to get cut and it wouldn't be the last. At least give them a dignified funeral.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    For starters, I'd bring back a lot of things that've been removed. Crafted consumables and enhancements (sharpening stones, weightstones, spell oils, leg armor kits, belt buckles, etc) are big ones.

Go back to allowing enchants on almost every gear slot, not just rings and weapons.

Bring back socket bonuses and make socketed gear more common.

Bring back specializations (armorsmith/weaponsmith choice for blacksmiths, etc).

I could probably do better than that, but my first thought on why professions suck so much today is that so much stuff got removed or cut back over the years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    For starters, I'd bring back a lot of things that've been removed. Crafted consumables and enhancements (sharpening stones, weightstones, spell oils, leg armor kits, belt buckles, etc) are big ones.

Go back to allowing enchants on almost every gear slot, not just rings and weapons.

Bring back socket bonuses and make socketed gear more common.

Bring back specializations (armorsmith/weaponsmith choice for blacksmiths, etc).

I could probably do better than that, but my first thought on why professions suck so much today is that so much stuff got removed or cut back over the years.
    Bringing them back isn't enough, but ensuring their use is current is key.
    Stuff like sharpening/weighing stones —in my experience — were never really relevant for too long. Out of your list, belt buckles had a expansion long life cycle.

Think that's one of the complaints with professions, that some things are short lived or downright useless

Bring back enchants/sockets. Crafted gear should be powerful but mats hard to gather. Each profession should have specializations. The best recipes should be rare.

1. Bring back a lot of the flavour items but make them such that they are relevant across all expansions. A good example of an existing one is the Goblin Glider. It has uses all across the game and it promotes going back to older content to gather mats if you want access to its convenience. The point of these items is that they don't give you a direct power boost but would provide convenience in world content. Examples could be:
    - Boot Straps: Increase running movement speed by 5-10% in outdoor content (blacksmith/leatherworking)
    - Jump Pad: Catapults the player forward into the air (having a parachute or glider is essentiel if you dont want to die) (engineering)
    - Aether Amplifier: Helmet enchant / mod that gives a small chance of non-harmful spells casting twice (in outdoor world) (enchanting / jewelcrafting)
    - Love Potion: 60 min duration, small chance on hit to charm enemy humanoid NPC for 30 seconds.

2. More synergy between professions. Make epic-grade items require mats that are only craftable from other professions. The better the item, the more expensive the additional mats would be.

3. Remove RNG from items crafting. Instead introduce parts of the crafting system from GW2 where you would craft the individual parts of a chest armor and then combine these parts with additional specific mats to get fx. Crit + Mastery. Likewise, getting Haste + Vers would require some other mats additional to the "Front plate + back plate + Leather straps + Chainmail". Example of a recipe:
    Ghost Iron Great Helmet (created by Blacksmithing):
    - Ghost Iron casket (made from Ghost iron + Black steel ingots)
    - Ghost Iron Visor (made from Ghost iron + Silver ingots)
    - Leather Straps (basic leatherworking)
    - Padding (Basic Tailoring)
    - Crit gem (rare jewelcrafting)
    - Primal Speed (Drop from certain types of bosses/trash mobs in the current raid, gives "Haste" stat to the item)
    - Lifeleech (Optional enchanting scroll)

4. Introduce a lot more "hard to get" mats that only drop from certain world bosses/raid bosses/dungeon bosses/raid or dungeon trash/battlegrounds. As an example, if I want to craft a pair of boots or a potion that gives mastery, I would need a specific "mastery" mat that only drops in Freehold and the equivalent outdoor area or BDA. Or perhaps they could have integrated the islands into professions aswell: While you explored this specific fire-island, you came across some 'Slumbering Embers', these can be used in your existing recipes to grant the item a fire effect / fire damage proc / fire resistance or whatever.

5. You should be able to "upgrade" your already existing crafted armor/items. In the start of the expansion, you craft a basic rare version with many hard to get materials from dungeons. Then with materials from the first raid, you can upgrade the item with more stats and perhaps an effect or bonus stat. Then next patch, you can then combine multiple of these "last tier" crafted items along with the new raid-mats to created an even BETTER version than now has a socket aswell. This idea might simply not work that great in current wow since we have so few different stats. The idea of these crafted items would be to become very desirable for niche playstyles that require some odd stat combinations. And of course in order to be something players would build towards they would have to be powerful AND at the same time take a long time to aquire.

Quote Originally Posted by Annka View Post

How about you?
    Don't gate professions behind 5man/Raid content. Make them rare mob drops if you wanna filter the high end recipes. Nothing pisses me off more than gating behind 5man/raid content.

Glyphs: bring back the old system where you changed them in and out in a UI we could see. Don't break what wasn't broken.

Keep the stupid star system if you want but again, gate higher star recipes behind rare mobs, etc. Not 5man/raid stuff.

Get rid of multi-tapping resources. I got there first and you didn't. Piss off.

Make professions absolutely needed. By that I mean kinda like the class quests and arcs but make it specific for professions. "Gotta stop those Void Lords from entering this nexus. Craft this engineering piece, bring it to me, and we'll see if that works." or "I'm not that talented of a miner, -Name-. But I've heard you are. Maybe you can break down these ore pieces and smelt a new type of metal we can use to create a shield against the Void Lords."

Shit like that gets me pumped up. This "your next star tier recipe upgrade is hidden behind the last boss in this 5man/raid." That's a cop out and makes me just skip professions entirely until next expansion where I can solo it myself and get my upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    Bring back enchants/sockets. Crafted gear should be powerful but mats hard to gather. Each profession should have specializations. The best recipes should be rare.
    Agreed, so long as the mats aren't ONLY available in raids. With M+ a viable progression pathway now I don't see why they have to make crafted gear crap unless you plan to clear heroic+ raids several times first. At which point the crafted gear is probably no longer relevant anyway.

Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My idea is simply that professions should be viable throughout a character's lifetime, not just at endgame. Unfortunately, by the time you are able to make most crafted items they are far outstripped by quest and dungeon gear or just not worth the material costs. Most pre-Cataclysm, if not Pandaria or Draenor professions are in critical need of a reevaluation in terms of utility.

-Armor professions in general: Create a clearly defined set for each tier of material- something to work toward.
    -In general: Better looking models.
    -All patterns and recipes should be taught by the profession trainer or by discovery. Part of me loves the RPG aspects of buying new plans/recipes from a vendor but part of me finds the RNG aspect of it to be a massive pain in the ass.
    -Profession trainers should be at all major quest hubs.
    -All pre-BfA cooldowns on materials should be lifted, as well as the limit on equipping Draenor crafted gear. If a person can get the mats to make these items, let them use them.

Specific professions:

-Leatherworking needs to be streamlined and better organized to better match the current pace of content. The materials required, despite being easy to find assuming you've got Skinning, are insane for the level of gear quality.

-Blacksmithing needs a revamp, especially at early levels, to fix gear quality and to keep up with leveling pace. Also, why is a profession oriented toward plate-wearing classes making agility/intellect mail? BS should only make plate armor.

-Tailoring isn't hard to get materials for, but again we've got the same problem we're having with the other two.

-Enchanting: Enchanting has potential but it's really top heavy. There should be something for every stage of content, particularly weapon enchants.

-Cooking food bonuses are extremely underwhelming and I'm finding that there are gaps where materials become extremely hard to find- the profession is still very much chained to Fishing.

-Alchemy is the same as cooking- with the level of power creep at low levels now compared to Vanilla, potions don't feel as useful. Just.. Kinda. Plus flasks would be nice to have while I level.

-Jewelcrafting needs a look in terms of efficiency and pacing.

-Inscription- no opinion, haven't messed with it enough.

-Engineering I'm not too sure about, besides maybe more bows. Add more ranged weapon augments.
    Last edited by Texan Penguin; 2019-05-17 at 02:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They need to integrate Skinning and LW, Herbalism and Alchemy and Mining and Blacksmithing to begin with. And add some gathering skills to Tailoring.

3+ Year Old Account
    It would be too lazy to say: copy FFXIV, wouldn't it?

These threads have been created countless of times and there's not much need to create another one
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

Make proffesion more about gold making. Let it have some depth. Also some gear should be BIS or close from crafting. But maybe not sellable if so.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Remove bop from any resource.
    Remove bop from any item crafted.

Problem solved.

Personally I miss the old bonuses of the professions, like Enchanting could enchant an extra slot and Leatherworkers got a special enchant for their wrists (?) and I believe Blacksmithing could add a socket to gloves. JC had 1 unique better gem for themselves. I guess they removed it cause it was too hard for them to balance and people going full FOTM would pick certain professions but IMO it was nice having these different perks. The tools of the trade idea they introduced is a step in the right direction but not far enough. :P

I think a combination of WoD, Legion, and BFA would be best. Daily CDs that you could do if you want, upgradable gear for each tier, quests related to get the new recipes, BoP gear at the mythic level, and then tools of the trade (while making sure some of them aren't completely useless).
    Last edited by harruin; 2019-05-23 at 07:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want an expansion where we crafting is a part of artifact weapons.

I really liked levelling up my artifacts in Legion, as well as questing to make Legendary belts on the side. Finally, my Blacksmithing was relevant to endgame players! I would LOVE a progression system where tradespeople could help create and/or improve our artifacts.