Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    8.2 fixes this in that you can hide ANY bit of your armour except your pants. So if you want to play a very lore-correct Ogre, just go ahead and hide most of it. If you want to be an Ogre in full plate because he's a rebel or you don't care about lore, just don't mog that way.
    I HAD forgotten about that little detail. /sheepish

This is a question I often ask myself, especially as an allied race enthusiast. Unfortunately, like many others have said, we got the Kul Tirans instead. That doesn't mean Vrykul will never happen. I still hope they become playable down the road. They are a cool race in almost every aspect. They have been heavily requested for years and would fit perfectly in the Alliance. And on the subject of their height, just give them the Tauren treatment, make them super tall, but not massive.

The same reason we never got Ogres, High Elves or Ethereals.

They don't care what we want.

I don't care about Vrykul.
    But I can't get behind the reason "if made shorter they would just end be taller humans, not different enough". That's not really a valid reason to not be a race/allied race. Most of the current ones are just that: slightly different humans, aesthetic wise. Dwarves are shorter humans with beards, gnomes are small humans with big heads, all the elves are humans with long ears and esotic skin colors (Blood Elves not even that), etc. You don't need something to be widely different to the existing race be a new race, and even less to be an allied race. The lore, the culture, the art of a race have a way bigger weight than just aesthetic, and Vrykul have a lot of than, way more than some existing races/allied races.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    Because Kul Tirans happened.

They needed an allied race per continent of the expansion, so Kul Tirans and Zandalari were the obvious choices. Other troll and human-like races would be discarded for now. Vrykul are obviously part of that human-like group.

- - - Updated - - -

Size isn't the issue. They can shrink playable models to the size they want. NPCs are always bigger than the playable characters.
    They can easily make them the size of Kul Tirans, Zandalari, Draenei or Tauren, and they would still work.

It is more the theme of the race and their anatomy that create the biggest restrictions.
    If they don't have legs (example: Naga) or another feature that prevents transmog or riding, it will be difficult for them to become playable.
    If they are very similar to another recently released playable race, than they will surely be delayed or discarded.
    Vrykul wouldn't fit the human specie. In fact they would be their own race.

Human in a sense is a mutation of Vrykul genes most definitely brought by the curse of flesh.

Why do they not yet exist?
    - To be introduced in a pre Sundered Azeroth as one of the defacto Human culture and humans are non existent at all, that is a reality.
    - To be introduced in a yet again Northrend related expac which ties up all Vrkul related pieces.

Then again my money is in the 1st option.

They don't have to shrink as in the reality or world were Humans,Gilneans,Kultirans get to play Vrykuls in Azotha,the Unsundered. Vrkyul will have their own dedicated zone where Howling Fjord, Stormheim,Kul'tiras are all but nothing but one one in one giant land mass.
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2019-05-11 at 04:41 PM.

Every race just isn't going to be playable.

[QUOTE=LeifErikson;51174227]My name has nothing to do with my post, you probably don't know anything about Vrykul's history. You don't know anything about Odyn and Helya, all the Titan stuff around them, or even other interesting Vrykul characters spread all around the game. But you reduce them to "a bunch of dull giant fake-vikings". Next time learn something about lore and then you post, so you don't have to show to the whole forum your ignorance about this topic.

Thank you for your useless post anyway

- - - Updated - - -

They are less fleshed out then mantis .

Wikipedia both , more info on the mantid.

And really you only saw Odyn during warrior campaign and 1 raid .

The emerald dream is more flesh out than these direct lifted Norse gods .

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    Every race just isn't going to be playable.
    I agree, too many allied races will completely destroy faction identity. They will eventually have to stop somewhere, but when the race has an established background, could plausibly go to one of the factions, and have been highly requested by the community, they deserve playablility. And yes, the Vrykul are on this list.

5+ Year Old Account
    Taller than a Tauren Zandalari or kultiran will never happen.

Factionless race that doesnt need to be in the Horde or the alliance, just like sethrak, saurons and other troll cultures.

Seriusly they are 3 times the height of a Stormwind Human and the double of a Zandalari.

Too beastly for the Alliance, you need to understand, the alliance is the Golden Lion Army, having Vrykuls will not fit in the "thematic that blizzard wants to show for the alliance", probably the closest to "beastly" "agressive" and "not golden lion army" are Furlborg, where in the RPG of WoW they were part of the alliance. But guess what, Blizz retconned all the rpg lore and remade it.

Quote Originally Posted by ophion1990 View Post
    I'm not sure if there's really that much of a demand for Goblins in a fox fursuit, yet that's seemingly all but confirmed at this point. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    At this point we really gotta ask the question on which parameters Blizzard selects Allied Races.

I mean, Highmountain Tauren are regular except with Antlers instead of Horns and the options for Blue / Red / Green warpaint.
    I say this despite that my main currently is a Highmountain Tauren.

Some of them feel like a entirely new race like Nightborne, others however might as well been a visual option for the existing races.

10+ Year Old Account
    WOTLK vrykuls were done better than Legion vrykuls.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowseve17 View Post
    I agree, too many allied races will completely destroy faction identity. They will eventually have to stop somewhere, but when the race has an established background, could plausibly go to one of the factions, and have been highly requested by the community, they deserve playablility. And yes, the Vrykul are on this list.
    Its iffy to me. Which faction do they really identify with? I don't pay a ton of attention to the lore and story, so this is an honest question and I may have just missed it.

Because if you thought there were too many Blood Elves...Blizz doesn't want 90% of their playerbase to be the same race. They could make Vrykul work, but it's not good for the health of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    Its iffy to me. Which faction do they really identify with? I don't pay a ton of attention to the lore and story, so this is an honest question and I may have just missed it.
    It's all good. No worries. During Legion a lot of people assumed the Vrykul of Stormheim might join the Alliance because Sylvanas antagonized Eyir, their Val'kyr goddess. Also, much of the recent Vrykul lore shows them being associated with the Light. The ascended Val'kyr are Light-based, we saw Vrykul paladins and priests, they are all about glory. The whole things just kinda fits the Alliance bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The reason is that they are too tall to fit thru doorways, so the options are:

1. Shrink them down which probably takes away the fun.
    2. Allow them to clip through the top of doorways which looks ugly and would probably get mocked by players or rival gaming companies and it might also result in hacking issues.
    3. Make them only playable via toys or transforms and simply have them get blocked from entering some doorways.
    4. Never have them as a playable race at all.

Ogres suffer the exact same problem. Can't fit thru doorways.
    Yeah that is my problem with playable Ogres yeah they can be shrunk down but than you feel like the runt of the litter.

3+ Year Old Account
    Vrykul are my favorite race by far. Like others have said the lore for them is abundant. But they are just to big and shrinking them, for players, would take away form their identity/culture.

kul tiran Humans should have looked more like Vrykul. Blizzard dropped the ball on that.

Quote Originally Posted by LeifErikson View Post
    My name has nothing to do with my post, you probably don't know anything about Vrykul's history. You don't know anything about Odyn and Helya, all the Titan stuff around them, or even other interesting Vrykul characters spread all around the game. But you reduce them to "a bunch of dull giant fake-vikings". Next time learn something about lore and then you post, so you don't have to show to the whole forum your ignorance about this topic.

Thank you for your useless post anyway

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think their height would be a problem, if you make them as tall as taurens it'd fit anyway. Even if they could clip through the top of doorways that shouldn't be a problem at all, you talk about hacking issues but I don't see any issues with tauren's horns so that's a poor argument.
    I wouldn’t respond or stress over that guy too much - he’s probably American, which says it all about culture or being cultured.

Just to put this door meme away for good, here is a Kul Tiran, a KT with the Vrykul Drinking Horn toy, and a KT with the Faintly Glowing Flagon of Mead toy:

I agree that the original KT is not up to Vrykul standards, the Drinking Horn is getting there, but the Flagon is what we all want. I went on a quest around Alliance-held Azeroth to find a door the Flagon height could not fit through. Even the smallest doors I could think of (Ironforge).

I fit in every door. Couldn't find one that was a problem. Find me a door that doesn't work!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LeifErikson View Post
    I still cannot understand the reason why Blizzard hasn't made them playable yet. They're one of the most interesting races in Azeroth, their culture is awesome and they could bring fresh ideas to the storyline. Why Blizzard? You made high mountain taurens playable, a race nobody really gives a f***. Would you like to see them as a playable race? It'd be awesome to know your points of view guys.
    Nobody remembers about Vrykuls. They are long gone. They are fugly. They have BfA with fat humans and fat humans are good for transgender propaganda, as Blizzard currently does: transgender, feminists, gays and so on. You need to remember about politics. May be you hate fat people, but Blizzard must execute politics of diversification. That's the sad world we are living in.

10+ Year Old Account
    They haven 't made them playable... yet