Poll: How much do you value sleep?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How much do you value sleep?

Sleep is one of my greatest priorities. If I don’t get enough of it, I will sleep more instead of doing other things. For example, I would skip a class if I didn’t get enough sleep. But Americans work so much while at the same time dedicating themselves to their outdated notions of “family,” many of them don’t get enough of it. That’s why they love coffee. How much do you value sleep?
    Last edited by Ashleyxoxo; 2019-05-10 at 11:38 AM.

lack of it can lead to mental issues, schizophrenia and stuff. so it's important to me that i get as much as needed.

also that nice side effect of just not existing for a short time, that feels nice.

A lot. Once overworked with lack of sleep, ended up crashing into a ditch... never again. Sleep is important.

When I was younger I didnt value it at all. I think drugs made it easier. Now that I am older and not a abuser I will do just about anything to get 7 to 9 hours a night.

I don't really value anything above sleep, with the exception of my immediate Family. And even with that said I only chose them over sleep for important things. I just enjoy life less while tired, even if it's doing something I'd usually enjoy like playing video games.
    Mages suck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) at more than 3 times the severe rate with a significant central nervous system component. Important? Damned straight it is. Going to happen? Nope.

If I'm lucky I manage to hit "good enough to get through the day" or at least that I'll be able to work in at least one nap of 45 minutes to two hours. If "good enough" happens even once in a week, that's a good thing. Bad CPAP (continuous air pressure pump) nights are more common, running 2-3 nights a week, and aren't fun. The CNS component means that forced air or not, sometimes I just forget to breathe. Joy.

If people tell you that you snore, particularly if you have a deep chest, broad neck, and small jaw or they remark that you stop breathing ... it might help to ask a doctor. http://amsleep.org/sleep-apnea-signs/
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

I only sleep about 5 hrs a night due to work and things i need to get done, while its not a lot, its enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    At 32 years old, very important. I could recover and function much easier to lack of sleep when I was in my 20’s... not so much now.
    My experience with sleep is that whenever there is something new and/or exciting in my life, its VERY easy to go without sleep. Otherwise, my body demands sleep. I think it was easier to go without sleep in my 20s because there are so many new and/or exciting things happening to me at that time. Once you settle down into a routine of working 40 hours a week, you're just bored so sleep seems essential. It was that way in my 20s 30s and 40s.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sleeping well should be everyone's top priority. I tend to fuck it up every now and then, though.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Sleep is one of my greatest priorities. If I don’t get enough of it, I will sleep more instead of doing other things. For example, I would skip a class if I didn’t get enough sleep. But Americans work so much while at the same time dedicating themselves to their outdated notions of “family,” many of them don’t get enough of it. That’s why they love coffee. How much do you value sleep?
    Those are some very strange quips you made right there.

Sleep is important, yet there are a million reasons to put it off and a million excuses to justify it. What is true is that not getting enough sleep for most people is related to either being overworked, or having stress related issues.

But that's not why we drink coffee. Coffee is not meant and has never been meant to be a substitute for sleep. Due to its effects of mitigating headaches and migraines, giving energy and being an anti-oxidant, it can help with the managing the effects of not getting enough sleep.

Coffee has been consumed for centuries because it is an effective upper and it just makes you feel better, more focused, more energetic no matter what.

The biggest consumers of coffee in the world are the Scandinavian countries, and they also tend to rank the highest in how much sleep they get, and funny enough they also tend to rank the highest in time spent with their families, while also spending the least amount of hours working.

So clearly...coffee and families are hardly the problem here.

I sleep on average about 5 to 6 hours, I mostly compensate with spending time relaxing and doing physical exercise, which also helps me to sleep, my sleep problems are related to me having had lowkey anxiety problems most of my life and is neither related to how much I'm working, nor to my fairly relaxing family life (we don't have kids, nor plan on having any, and the rest of my family is an ocean away).

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    A lot. I'll be 34 in a couple of weeks. I usually prefer at least 8 hours a night. I can get by on 6 but will be cranky and not as pleasant to be around the next day. Any less than 6, it's going to be a very bad day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a lot. I know in the long run its going to cause me serious problems but as good as sleeping feels its really boring. I'm still youngish and my job isn't very demanding yet. Once that changes I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune.

10+ Year Old Account
    I value my sleep more than anybody here's life.

But yeah honestly I am going to have to say as someone else pointed out here, when I was Younger, I thought that staying up all night and not getting sleep was cool... FUCK THAT NOW!

Yeah, I love my down time.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Medium9
    They discovered that I stopped breathing like 20 times per hour, sometimes for quite extensive periods. That's downright dangerous territory and has potential for life long issues especially heart related and such.
    Glad to hear they caught it! The CPAP can be a nuisance, but it is much better than OSA chopping your sleep up even worse.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just thought i'd share my personal story here for those contemplating the importance of sleep.

I noticed the last few years at work I was slowing down, getting groggy, even nodding off in meetings. If I drove somewhere for more than 20 minutes, I would need an audio book or podcast to keep my mind engaged or I would risk nodding off on the road.

Things finally came to a head one day.. I was in traffic, and as we were stop and go, I nodded off and ran into the car in front of me with my truck. Now, it was at 5 mph and neglible cosmetic damage. But it 'woke' me up (pun intended) to the problem.

I talked with my doctor and got a sleep study. I am obese, and they thought it could be apnea caused by my weight problems.

Sleep study results come in, my doctor tells me: A normal sleep apnea index number is 0 to 5. From 5 to 15 they might put you on a CPAP. From 15+, they usually do. I scored at 94.

Fast forward 6 months - I own a CPAP machine of good quality, and use it each night. Results are night and day. I have twice the energy I had, I don't nod off during the day at all, and I have essentially stopped habitual caffeine intake (nothing against it, just glad I don't feel like I rely on it). It's even helping me have the energy and motivation to work on my weight issues.

In summary: Sleep, besides food/water/shelter, is the single most important thing to my self maintenance.
    Kepano the Awakened (Main - Resto Shaman)
    Kepana the Seeker (Alt - Druid)

I would say everyone should because if you are not getting 7-8 hours of sleep the majority of your adult life you will develop Alzheimer/Dementia or possibly others and this is a fact. Unless you have a rare gene that a small % of the population has that allows your brain to do the same detox process in 5 or more hours.

I dunno, I'd rather be playing a good video game than sleeping so I guess I don't "value" sleep; but fortunately I don't have any engagements so when I do go to bed at 4am or w/e I generally just sleep until I'm not asleep anymore and then get up. Often that's as much as 10 hours in one go; but I guess my body wanted it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I can function fine without a good night sleep, will notice it in the weekends though. Get cranky and depressed if i don't sleep wel during the week.

Sleep is God, and should be worshiped as often as possible for 7-8 hours a day.
    Keeps a person healthy too.

Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    I only sleep about 5 hrs a night due to work and things i need to get done, while its not a lot, its enough for me
    It probably isn't enough and you will get some horrible diseases like many of us night hawks.