Page 1 of 20
... LastLast

Alabama Senate Delays Vote On What Could Become Nation's Strictest Abortion Law.

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/alaba...155443928.html
    Alabama state senators on Thursday postponed a vote on what could become the nation’s strictest abortion ban when the chamber erupted into chaos over a procedural vote.

Some Republicans hastily tried to remove exemptions for rape and incest from the bill without holding an official vote, according to local news reports.

Lawmakers then tabled the final vote until at least next Tuesday.

The bill, the Human Life Protection Act, would make it a felony for a doctor to perform an abortion. The act would be punishable by at least 10 years in prison.

The state House passed the bill last week. The version passed in the House did not include exceptions for rape or incest, only permitting abortions if the pregnant woman’s life would be in danger.

The Senate version of the bill included an amendment with exceptions for rape and incest. Republican legislators attempted to remove those exemptions at the last minute on Thursday, which led to the abrupt postponement of the vote.

According to Senate Minority Leader Bobby Singleton (D), state Lt. Gov. Will Ainsworth (R), who presides over the chamber, tried to quickly table the amendment using a voice vote.

Singleton had called for a full roll call vote on the amendment, so that it could be on the record. Singleton said that three members, which is required under the chamber’s rules, had raised their hands to sustain a motion for a roll call vote. But Ainsworth had already begun the voice vote.

After a shouting match among the lawmakers, Senate President Pro Tem Del Marsh (R) moved to table the vote until next Tuesday.

Singleton said that Ainsworth “refused to respect the Democratic side” of the chamber, and accused him of “a plot and a scheme to run over” the legislative process.

“We’re not going to stand back and just be pushed around,” Singleton told HuffPost.

Gov. Kay Ivey (R) has not made it clear whether she would sign the bill into law.

The bill’s sponsor, state Rep. Terri Collins (R), previously said the goal of the legislation is to trigger a legal challenge to Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 Supreme Court decision that ensured a woman’s right to an abortion.

The court’s conservative majority under President Donald Trump has sparked fears that the justices could overturn that decision.

Numerous states with GOP-dominated legislatures have passed abortion restrictions in recent years.

In 2019 alone, state lawmakers have introduced more than 250 abortion restriction bills so far, according to a March report from Planned Parenthood and the Guttmacher Institute, a reproductive rights research organization.

However, many previous bills have been blocked by federal judges.

On Tuesday, Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R) signed into a law a so-called “heartbeat” abortion bill, banning abortions at around six weeks of pregnancy, when some say a fetal heartbeat can be detected — but when many women do not even know they are pregnant.

A federal judge blocked a similar bill in Kentucky earlier this year.
    Thoughts? I’m absolutely shocked and angered that something like this may be allowed.
    “Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

They're trying to get it back to the SCOTUS to get Roe vs. Wade overturned.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler
    Q: Why was the anti-vaxxer's 4 year old child crying? A: Midlife crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Thoughts? I’m absolutely shocked and angered that something like this may be allowed.
    My thoughts? I think this is just another reason to add to my endless list of reasons why I consider every Republican voter a sexist, racist, morally decript filth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It doesnt destroy the land to bury styrofoam 25 feet below the ground
    Today Obama once again kneeled at the altar of environmental naziism and hurt this once great country. He has now banned all drilling in the Atlantic Ocean

This is democracy

It’s par for the course and what they do. It’s very possible abortion could be made illegal and a crime. Keep in mind these representatives are voted in by the people of their legislative constituents.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

The Patient
    GA did just pass theirs. Also hoping it gets overturned.

As a citizen of Alabama - Our state has reached a new low. I'm disgusted and I really hope WHEN this damn thing gets passed (because it will because my state republicans are ignorant idiots but are far more than half the state...) its turned over by the Supreme Court and blown apart.

Just disgusted.

But yes the purpose of this awfulness is to challenge Roe v Wade. I'm hoping they all lose when they try.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

And if it passes, it'll likely go to the Supreme Court. Overturning Roe v. Wade is a big deal. At the most extreme, an amendment may be proposed to deal with it once and for all within the next few decades.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

You should also know that in many states, a rapist can legally demand parental rights to his offspring, and they are often granted. The victim is thus tied to her rapist for a lifetime.
    It's basically slavery. There is a large population of people in this country who view women as reproductive slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I am wondering, let's say it goes to the SCOTUS. What would those states do, if Corsuch and Kavanaugh vote no, and explicitly state, they consider Roe vs Wade a final decission? Would they just continue? Hope, they got more riduclously reactionary judges and continue on and on?
    Also... shouldn't it be illegal, to make laws, that blatantly violate the constitution?
    Last edited by josykay; 2019-05-11 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    I am wondering, let's say it goes to the SCOTUS. What would those states do, if Corsuch and Kavanaugh vote no, and explicitly state, they consider Row vs Wade a final decission? Would they just continue? Hope, they got more riduclously reactionary judges and continue on and on?
    Also... shouldn't it be illegal, to make laws, that blatantly violate the constitution?
    If it is turned down or rejected by the Supreme Court, ACLU get to make a lot of money suing all these states for attorney cost.

Anger makes total sense.

Shock? This was the GOP's game plan for decades.

cant be pro choice anymore, after finding out alot of the alt right like richard spencer are actually in favor of abortion due to its racist history and links to eugenicist, one issue where republicans are on the side of social justice.

Remember kids: Democracy is only good when the majority want what you think is good.

Then the line of deadbeats walk in complaining about being forced to pay child support....

Hey republicans, if you want to force people to have kids why don't you help support them? Freaking freeloading republicans that don't support social programs for children.
    Last edited by Hilhen7; 2019-05-10 at 05:35 PM.

The pendulum always swings back. I don't think the horror of that has fully dawned on people yet.

I feel that if they were gonna "ban" Abortion, the least they could do is leave exemptions due to rape/incest or to dangers to the health of the potential mother.

But this is about overturning Roe vs Wade. Part of me thinks that SCOTUS will shoot it down, thanks to Kavanaugh surprising everyone in not voting along party lines like everyone expected him to do. But no one can tell what will happen if this gets that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Please it will be shut down long before it gets to the SCOTUS and then they will wimp out and refuse to hear it since there is already a decision on it and the lower courts upheld the decision and there is nothing new to rule on.
    Even with the new makeup of the court they would be hard pressed to find an actual reason to even hear the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    It’s par for the course and what they do. It’s very possible abortion could be made illegal and a crime. Keep in mind these representatives are voted in by the people of their legislative constituents.
    People will just find ways to do it themselves like before.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

- Smoke weed every day!

Government needs to get off the abortion kick. It is the ladies body, and if they decide to that, that is their choice. This is coming from a man. By outlawing abortion, they're opening the door to more unwanted children(yes, birth control is a thing but it does fail) that parents can't afford. If they'd the option for the abortion, it wouldn't be a problem. There are arguments for and against on both sides. This is simply my opinion on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    This is democracy
    Is it?

Surely a constituent part of Western democracy is a respect for and compliance with the law. This is deliberately illegal so they can manipulate the system to try and get something else banned.

Regardless, when you call something the Human Life Protection Act, it's obviously going to complete load of shit.