Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ...
    Alabama governor invokes God in banning nearly all abortions
    https://t.co/BgoODnUb75
    https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/stat...622687744?s=19

Ladies and gentlemen we have ourselves some good ole Sharia Law.

Why do people force their religion on others!
    If conservatives become convinced that they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy," argues David Frum.

We elected Tony Soprano president of the United States and gave him the power to pardon his capos. Matthew Miller, Legal Analyst.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post

Because they literally can't sleep at night if they have even the smallest thought that their neighbors might be heretics, blasphemers, or *gasps* Athiests.

Joking obviously, but had a small encounter with a couple old ladies this morning asking if they could share with me a couple sermons from the Bible. Just told them I was not interested and they went on their way to pester the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    Because they literally can't sleep at night if they have even the smallest thought that their neighbors might be heretics, blasphemers, or *gasps* Athiests.

Joking obviously, but had a small encounter with a couple old ladies this morning asking if they could share with me a couple sermons from the Bible. Just told them I was not interested and they went on their way to pester the next house.
    They are trying to save your soul.

Honestly US gets pretty weird when it comes to religion. I went to a Catholic High School ran by Jesuit Priests. Every Monday we had church service first thing in the morning. Those that did not wish to attend were free to do whatever they want. In the three years I was there, not once did any of them talk religion to us. Shoot, we did not even have any classes on religion.

Jesuit priests are strange. They seem to be more interested in imparting knowledge than saving wayward souls.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2019-05-16 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post

Honestly US gets pretty weird when it comes to religion. I went to a Catholic High School ran by Jesuit Priests. Every Monday we had church service first thing in the morning. Those that did not wish to attend were free to do whatever they want. In the three years I was there, not once did any of them talk religion to us. Shoot, we did not even have any classes on religion.

Jesuit priests are strange. They seem to be more interested in imparting knowledge than saving wayward souls.
    See I had the opposite experience...every Easter/Christmas we had "student lead" pastor guests for assembly who basically created a 2 hour church service and it was mandatory (we were never given the option to not attend but if there was we never knew about it). In high school our Biology teacher touched Evolution for like 1 day then proceeded to teach Intelligent Design the rest of the session based on creation of life. Our English lit class might as well had been the Bible through the ages in England. Our public school was very open about their religious preferences. Naturally this area became ground zero for Trumpism in the current day.
    Last edited by akris15; 2019-05-16 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post

Such is the nature of Y'all-qaeda.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    But it's not. It's not religious belief.
    Well I think it's fair to call it a religious belief, as long as you understand that there are stark and fundamental differences between Christianity and the "Christianism" practiced by many social conservatives.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by akris15 View Post
    See I had the opposite experience...every Easter/Christmas we had "student lead" pastor guests for assembly who basically created a 2 hour church service and it was mandatory (we were never given the option to not attend but if there was we never knew about it). In high school our Biology teacher touched Evolution for like 1 day then proceeded to teach Intelligent Design the rest of the session based on creation of life. Our English lit class might as well had been the Bible through the ages in England. Our public school was very open about their religious preferences. Naturally this area became ground zero for Trumpism in the current day.
    I remember one of my friends in Middle/High School was a fundamentalist Christian. I used to argue about evolution all the time with him, and he tried to lead a class protest against learning evolution. (It didn't work.) My state/region actually values science though.
    "As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    -H.L. Mencken, 1920

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I don't need the spectral and non-existant form of myself to be saved though.
    3.6 roentgen . . . not great, not terrible. - Comrade Dyatlov

What a motherfucking hypocrite.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/ente...516-story.html

Governor Kay Ivey who signed this shitty bill into law on Twitter:
    Today, I signed into law the Alabama Human Life Protection Act. To the bill’s many supporters, this legislation stands as a powerful testament to Alabamians’ deeply held belief that every life is precious & that every life is a sacred gift from God.
    Also Governor Kay Ivey:
    Apparently, Ivey’s not averse to returning some of God’s sacred gifts, since as governor she’s overseeing the planned execution tonight of Michael Brandon Samra, who was 19 years old when he took part in the quadruple murder of the family of a friend angered by the father’s refusal to let him borrow a pickup truck. The ringleader, who was 15 at the time of the crimes, is serving life in prison.

In fact, since Ivey assumed office two years ago last month, Alabama has executed six other men, including convicted serial bomber Walter Moody who, at 83, became the oldest person executed in the nation’s history when he was strapped onto the gurney last year.

Earlier this year, the state executed Domineque Ray after the Supreme Court refused to issue a stay when Ivey’s government denied the condemned Muslim inmate access to an imam in the death chamber, although it does provide a Christian chaplain.

Although California has the nation’s largest death row with 735 condemned inmates, Alabama has the highest per capita rate of death sentences.

And six weeks after she was sworn into office, Ivey signed into law a measure shortening the appeals process for capital offense, a move that makes it more likely the state will execute the innocent.

So much for Ivey’s notion that the new abortion ban “stands as a powerful testament to Alabamians’ deeply held belief that every life is precious & that every life is a sacred gift from God.”

This has devolved into religious discussion/bashing. closing now...