Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

It’s Time to Break Up Facebook

Can't post links yet, but I found this worthy of a discussion. I agree that the social networks have to much power!

http://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/op...uckerberg.html
    Last edited by Tortuous Convolvulus; 2019-05-09 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Made valid URL

Back to Hyves people! The dutch social network with backgrounds to gauge out eyes for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Life was better without social media. I quit most social media back in 2016. Facebook and twitter and those sort of platforms.

Not to speak like an old man but my god, social media has made the world so toxic. Let;s go back to talking with people isntead, like humans, remember when we were human?
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Life was better without social media. I quit most social media back in 2016. Facebook and twitter and those sort of platforms.

Not to speak like an old man but my god, social media has made the world so toxic. Let;s go back to talking with people isntead, like humans, remember when we were human?
    Life would be way less interesting without social media. Granted, I prefer the news-media type of social media vs the "I wonder what Dwayne Johsnon is tweeting today!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    Life would be way less interesting without social media. Granted, I prefer the news-media type of social media vs the "I wonder what Dwayne Johsnon is tweeting today!"
    I would be happier with a life of ignorance over a #hashtag, hearing people being offended every other week while people also counter with complaining how people are so easily offended every week is all social media is, it;s an us v them debate.

although credit due, Social media has it's uses, its a great way to advertise small businesses and get a name out there, it should be an advertisers platform only.

I would be happier with a life of ignorance over a #hashtag, hearing people being offended every other week while people also counter with complaining how people are so easily offended every week is all social media is, it;s an us v them debate.

although credit due, Social media has it's uses, its a great way to advertise small businesses and get a name out there, it should be an advertisers platform only.
    Well yes, but this is how people have always been. Just because you chose to be apart of a group of friends and family or whatever else that lacked the drama or arguments -- doesn't mean it didn't exist. Social Media just kind of, amplifies that to 11, and enables people who would normally be adverse to extreme debate to actually participate.

No one would use Social Media if all it was is advertisements. Like - if all they did was see ads? You'd never see a fucking soul left there. And I mean, social media is basically paying for itself by just existing ​due to the fact it's free data for a lot of companies.

Which time period are we talking about? The time period where wrong word would result sword sticking in your skull? The time period where you're not aryan enough to talk to me, and thus must "disappear"? Human history seems full of violence, and further back we go, the worse it has been. Where are these golden ages of the past?

Personally I think some random toxic online trolls to be very much preferable compared to one being killed on a spot for not being high class enough, or the other example being gas chambers for people not deemed good enough. How about you?
    Last edited by Azadina; 2019-05-09 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedrielle View Post
    Which time period are we talking about? The time period where wrong word would result sword sticking in your skull? The time period where you're not aryan enough to talk to me, and thus must "disappear"? Human history seems full of violence, and further back we go, the worse it has been. Where are these golden ages of the past?

Personally I think some random toxic online trolls to be very much preferable compared to one being killed on a spot for not being high class enough, or the other example being gas chambers for people not deemed good enough. How about you?
    This is so full of hyperbole. And also taking out of context of what they (probably) mean. Which is in-human interaction and less talking on phones and texting non-stop. Ironically we're all on a social media platform right now, a forum.

Didn't take long until the first Godwin. I hope people read the article, Chris Hughes says some good things!

This is so full of hyperbole. And also taking out of context of what they (probably) mean. Which is in-human interaction and less talking on phones and texting non-stop. Ironically we're all on a social media platform right now, a forum.
    You think history equals hyperbole? That's an interesting take in this context. Funny of you to bring up that word. Would you care to guess what that means in this context?

Facebook is such a little thing in my life. I don't care if they break it up or not.

I bet Facebook is a small thing in your life too.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Facebook is such a little thing in my life. I don't care if they break it up or not.

I bet Facebook is a small thing in your life too.
    I made an account years ago, to create a group for my guild. Organized some real life events and using Facebook made communication easier.

You think history equals hyperbole? That's an interesting take in this context. Funny of you to bring up that word. Would you care to guess what that means in this context?
    Obviously not. I get the comparison because of what Social Media does and how it helps bring light to things. How it actually has quite benefited people and how being connected has changed societies everywhere. Disabling certain acts of censorship, patriotism, racism, etc... Compared to the past with highly controlled outlets and what else. Ironically it also has enabled new types of all of that and could be extremely abused to the same point eras like WW2 and the past have. I don't care for that part because I understood that's not at all what the poster meant. But learn to not cherry pick and be a cunt to others.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a serious problem with treating Facebook as a monopoly.

The only thing Facebook has a monopoly on, is Facebook. There's no barrier to other social media sites emerging. There's just no interest in the market.

And "breaking up Facebook" just means you end up with Facebook East and Facebook West (or whatever), and then you have to either geographically force users to only use one, without any ability to make a choice between the two (not an improvement), or everyone ends up flocking to one of the two and the whole situation repeats because you made no effort to understand the "problem".

Same applies to Youtube, for that matter.

These aren't monopolies because of control of supply. These are "monopolies" because of user preference. That massive user base is itself the draw.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortuous Convolvulus View Post
    Didn't take long until the first Godwin. I hope people read the article, Chris Hughes says some good things!
    Don;t worry I read the article it only depressed me. lol :P

That we now live in a world where this is the next stage of social media. Breaking up social media into smaller little nests just seems even more anti-social.

Makes me wanna go back. I dread the future of where social media is going. I just wish it would end. Outlaw it completely. :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-05-09 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's a serious problem with treating Facebook as a monopoly.

The only thing Facebook has a monopoly on, is Facebook. There's no barrier to other social media sites emerging. There's just no interest in the market.

And "breaking up Facebook" just means you end up with Facebook East and Facebook West (or whatever), and then you have to either geographically force users to only use one, without any ability to make a choice between the two (not an improvement), or everyone ends up flocking to one of the two and the whole situation repeats because you made no effort to understand the "problem".

Same applies to Youtube, for that matter.

These aren't monopolies because of control of supply. These are "monopolies" because of user preference. That massive user base is itself the draw.
    I guess you didn't read the article at all, because Hughes explains in very clear words why Facebook should be considered a monopoly. It isn't even the point he is trying to make.

"As a result of all this, would-be competitors can’t raise the money to take on Facebook. Investors realize that if a company gets traction, Facebook will copy its innovations, shut it down or acquire it for a relatively modest sum. So despite an extended economic expansion, increasing interest in high-tech start-ups, an explosion of venture capital and growing public distaste for Facebook, no major social networking company has been founded since the fall of 2011."
    Last edited by Tortuous Convolvulus; 2019-05-09 at 03:41 PM.

Apparently the 90s were a medievil nazi time.

Good to know.

Obviously not. I get the comparison because of what Social Media does and how it helps bring light to things. How it actually has quite benefited people and how being connected has changed societies everywhere. Disabling certain acts of censorship, patriotism, racism, etc... Compared to the past with highly controlled outlets and what else. Ironically it also has enabled new types of all of that and could be extremely abused to the same point eras like WW2 and the past have. I don't care for that part because I understood that's not at all what the poster meant. But learn to not cherry pick and be a cunt to others.
    The point was that things are hardly getting worse, in fact it's been getting better. Some people need reality check. Actual reminder of events that have happened in the past to put their minor complaints, and especially glorification of the past to proper context. There's the c word again. But, apparently that's a big no no. What should we do instead? Circle jerk about how things are so bad with social media around? Yes, how very terrible. Will that do?
    Last edited by Azadina; 2019-05-09 at 03:57 PM.

Note: article way too long to bother reading. So I dont even know what its about. XD That being said, Facebook is honestly the only form of communication I have with 99% of people I know, and that includes almost my entire family and virtually every irl friend I have, and most friends I met via gaming that are still good friends of mine years later. Truth be told, before social media, I was sometimes going months without "speaking" to anyone outside of maybe 3-5 people. So, uh, seeing how i didnt actually read the article, I have no conclusion about my opinion on the matter.

You can't stop progress, social media is a sign of progress in technology and communication. If you somehow shutdown Facebook (never gonna happen) you still have Youtube, Twitter and whatever moves in to replace Facebook, things will only continue to evolve and move along this path as time goes on and technology improves.

Is this serious? We're still human, we still communicate one to one and talk to each other every day, the world is a better place than it was in the past despite your dislike of the fact that social media is a popular way to communicate or express ones self. I have social media accounts and I do not feel compelled document my life, I don't feel the need to list my personal information or post about my daily woes but it's still a highly valuable tool for communicating and organising events, meet ups, work etc.

Social media is great, if you have to delete it to have a healthy lifestyle then that's your own issue rather than the issue of the technology, I understand people get obsessed with their online personas and lives but those are personal issues you must overcome, alcohol isn't inherently bad just because alcoholics exist.. Food isn't bad just because too much of it will result in weight gain and poor health..

All things in moderation, the internet is amazing, most of the worlds knowledge and experience at your fingertips, instant global communication.... I'd rather not go back to shitting in a hole down the garden and keeping slaves.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4