View Poll Results: What percentage tip am I giving based on the details in the post?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3.32/16.58 = 20%

33 22.76%
  • 3.32/(16.58+1.65) = 18%

7 4.83%
  • 3.32/21.68 = 15%

23 15.86%
  • Other (posted in thread)

82 56.55%
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    Jokes in movies doesn't mean it happens. Nobody is going to risk a conflict in court for violating health regulations just because they weren't tipped.
    Again, i've waited tables and trust me it happens. Not if you do it once or twice, but if you order pizza 3-4 nights a week for months and never tip... you better believe you've eaten their spit at some point too.

While they shouldn't do it, and it's a crime as far as i'm concerned... it DOES happen in reality and i can testify to that.

The reason is because of how tips in this country have been handled for generations now; so when you don't get tipped by a repeat customer it comes off as an indictment of you and your job, which breeds resentment.

Doesn't mean it's right, but i would be afraid to eat at a place i frequented but never once tipped. That's the danger zone

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    Final bill. Taxes are usually included. But that's just how it works in New York. If we ever get to a point where waiters and such get pay more in line to other places, tipping could finally go out the window.
    in order for that to happen, they would need to charge u like $10 more to ur bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlz0rz View Post
    Yeah, and I would definitely tip if I ever went to the US, since it's a part of your system.
    But as a Norwegian, I would still like for the US to move away from it, and just treat people like equals and not see certain professions as "less" of work.
    You guys have such a huge divide in pretty much every aspect of your lives these days :P. Race divide, class divide, political divide!
    I hope you guys find a solution soon! <3
    Yeah. Obviously i'd change it tomorrow if i could, but when in Rome...

Yeah we are divided too much lately and it's a shame because we have more in common than not, but there's just so much hostility everywhere and it's unnecessary. The concept of "agree to disagree" died sometime in the last 10 years in america. Now, if you disagree about anything you get labeled this that or the other and uninvited to family reunions lol.

it's all so silly. people need to chill

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    So I don't have empathy because I believe a persons wages shouldn't be based on what other people think they deserve? lmfao. Don't logic much do you? I fully support them being paid appropriate wages. I just don't think it just be subsidizes to the customer.

- - - Updated - - -

The law is their boss is suppose to pay them whatever it takes to make their wages at least minimum wage. There is no law saying customers HAVE to tip.
    You ever heard the expression "When in Rome, do as the Romans do?" If you are in America, you are expected to tip during a meal or delivery.

If it isn't custom there, that's fine, but there are customs no doubt that i'd find ridiculous too. That's how the world is, each country has pro's and con's and america's biggest con is that money is king.

I wouldn't say you not tipping doesn't make you lack empathy; but if you're in america and say "i don't tip because in my homeland we don't" then yes, you do come off as an entitled jerk.

When in another country, you obey their laws and customs. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    You ever heard the expression "When in Rome, do as the Romans do?" If you are in America, you are expected to tip during a meal or delivery.

If it isn't custom there, that's fine, but there are customs no doubt that i'd find ridiculous too. That's how the world is, each country has pro's and con's and america's biggest con is that money is king.

I wouldn't say you not tipping doesn't make you lack empathy; but if you're in america and say "i don't tip because in my homeland we don't" then yes, you do come off as an entitled jerk.

When in another country, you obey their laws and customs. Period.
    Have you ever heard the expression "times change". The world is how we make it. If people stop tipping something will have to change.

Why do you keep mentioning laws like it's a legal requirement to tip?
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.
    Yo, don't mind my "street talk"

Have you ever heard the expression "times change". The world is how we make it. If people stop tipping something will have to change.

Why do you keep mentioning laws like it's a legal requirement to tip?
    No offense but how old are you? Not tipping isn’t going to change a damn thing in a capitalist society. That’s some idealist nonsense not based in reality. It just makes me the asshole

Again, i've waited tables and trust me it happens. Not if you do it once or twice, but if you order pizza 3-4 nights a week for months and never tip... you better believe you've eaten their spit at some point too.

While they shouldn't do it, and it's a crime as far as i'm concerned... it DOES happen in reality and i can testify to that.

The reason is because of how tips in this country have been handled for generations now; so when you don't get tipped by a repeat customer it comes off as an indictment of you and your job, which breeds resentment.

Doesn't mean it's right, but i would be afraid to eat at a place i frequented but never once tipped. That's the danger zone
    In most kitchens, this wont happen. I would fire any employee of mine on the spot if I knew that they had tampered with the customers food, even the worst ones who are a pain in the ass who try to squeeze any thing out from u.

I grew up in my families business and now run my own restaurants, my classmates growing up would constantly ask if we ever spit in anybodies food, I would always say no. Its ironic however, that it is THIS type of person who has to ask, that is more inclined to do these types of things. Maybe Ive always been blessed to have a good group of people that have worked for my family and I, but not ONCE has anything ever happened.

I do know however, that a lot of buddies who did end up working in food service have said this has happened in their workplace, but I have noticed that those places happened to be bigger chain, homogeneous restaurants (applebees, tgi fridays, chilis, etc). Family run restaurants, and michelin star restaurants would NEVER do this.7
    Last edited by Satelliteyears0o; 2019-05-11 at 02:39 PM.

No offense but how old are you? Not tipping isn’t going to change a damn thing in a capitalist society. That’s some idealist nonsense not based in reality. It just makes me the asshole
    Why wouldn't it? The law stats if they don't earn enough tips to make at least min wage their employer has to make up the difference.

Why does my age matter? How old are you?

but it HAVE changed things... In all other parts of the world.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > MoP > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Idealist nonsense is not doing anything and waiting something will change on its own eventually

Why wouldn't it? The law stats if they don't earn enough tips to make at least min wage their employer has to make up the difference.
    Because often they won’t and there are ways to dance around it to protect corporations. Besides, minimum wage isn’t all that much and they can make more than that off tips.

And it doesn’t change anything here because people who are waiters and drivers are expendable to corporate and replaceable. It’s hard to unionize when they can just copy/paste their work force as nauseum

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    but it HAVE changed things... In all other parts of the world.
    Other parts of the world never had tipping the first place.

Student from the UK here and I never tip because I don't even carry change around. I have no disposable income. If it's a tipping service in the card reader I'll only tip if it was great service.

Because often they won’t and there are ways to dance around it to protect corporations. Besides, minimum wage isn’t all that much and they can make more than that off tips.

And it doesn’t change anything here because people who are waiters and drivers are expendable to corporate and replaceable. It’s hard to unionize when they can just copy/paste their work force as nauseum
    Are they? Would you work at a place that pays less than minimum wage? When they are not able to hire anyone anymore what do you think is going to happen? Don't even need to unionize. Just need to stand up and not support the current system.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethxx View Post
    You must be a millennial....selfishness is the trait millennials will forever be known for in history
    Or maybe just not an American?

Most of the first world has enough of a minimum wage that you can live by yourself (semi-frugally). And on shit holes (like where I'm from), usually people aren't rich enough to be worrying about other people's paycheck.

For delivery, it's stupid to tip based on price. I could get 2 pizzas for $30 that are simple to transport and carry in or I could get 1 medium pizza and 4 2-liters (not that I would) for $18 and it's a huge pain.

I tip based on the difficulty of my order and the weather conditions. Generally 3 dollars base, extra 1 for rain, 2 for snow and 1-2 based on complexity of order if it is complex.
    Last edited by Rhaide; 2019-05-11 at 02:45 PM.
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Other parts of the world never had tipping the first place.
    This idea that things that are a way can't change is bullshit. We used to have child labor. Do we still?

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Idealist nonsense is not doing anything and waiting something will change on its own eventually
    No - he's right, 'taking a stand' that doesn't matter is idealist nonsense.

What you're talking about is just blindly going with the status quo.

Both are bad. Nothing will change without legislation.
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    Sounds like you need unions.
    Desperately. Our unions were corrupted and then crushed under the heel of a more powerful corporate world. We desperately need them back. Our current system is broken in a lot of ways and tipping is just a tiny example, and one of many where
    Money has corrupted our laws and writes it for corporate. It sucks but our politicians sold us out and we have little recourse

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Satelliteyears0o View Post
    In most kitchens, this wont happen. I would fire any employee of mine on the spot if I knew that they had tampered with the customers food, even the worst ones who are a pain in the ass who try to squeeze any thing out from u.

I grew up in my families business and now run my own restaurants, my classmates growing up would constantly ask if we ever spit in anybodies food, I would always say no. Its ironic however, that it is THIS type of person who has to ask, that is more inclined to do these types of things. Maybe Ive always been blessed to have a good group of people that have worked for my family and I, but not ONCE has anything ever happened.

I do know however, that a lot of buddies who did end up working in food service have said this has happened in their workplace, but I have noticed that those places happened to be bigger chain, homogeneous restaurants (applebees, tgi fridays, chilis, etc). Family run restaurants, and michelin star restaurants would NEVER do this.7
    I’d never consider it and if I saw it I’d report it because that’s just some bs. That said, we both know it happens especially at the big chain restaurants. Mom n pop shops tend to have more pride in their work and even tend to pay employees better.

But the big chain corporate restaurants? They couldn’t care less if the food was tampered with; their first question would be “can they prove it?”

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    For delivery, it's stupid to tip based on price. I could get 2 pizzas for $30 that are simple to transport and carry in or I could get 1 medium pizza and 4 2-liters (not that I would) for $18 and it's a huge pain.

I tip based on the difficulty of my order and the weather conditions. Generally 3 dollars base, extra 1 for rain, 2 for snow and 1-2 based on complexity of order if it is complex.

This but I also tend to add a few bucks the later in the night it is. Example: if he’s gonna bring my lazy ass a pizza at 120 am: he deserves a little extra

Desperately. Our unions were corrupted and then crushed under the heel of a more powerful corporate world. We desperately need them back. Our current system is broken in a lot of ways and tipping is just a tiny example, and one of many where
    Money has corrupted our laws and writes it for corporate. It sucks but our politicians sold us out and we have little recourse

- - - Updated - - -

I’d never consider it and if I saw it I’d report it because that’s just some bs. That said, we both know it happens especially at the big chain restaurants. Mom n pop shops tend to have more pride in their work and even tend to pay employees better.

But the big chain corporate restaurants? They couldn’t care less if the food was tampered with; their first question would be “can they prove it?”

- - - Updated - - -

This but I also tend to add a few bucks the later in the night it is. Example: if he’s gonna bring my lazy ass a pizza at 120 am: he deserves a little extra
    That's a solid point - I'm older now and don't order that late (unless I've been drinking and yelling at dota 2)
    -Darsithis

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    No - he's right, 'taking a stand' that doesn't matter is idealist nonsense.

What you're talking about is just blindly going with the status quo.

Both are bad. Nothing will change without legislation.

This. The only way this changes is if someone can ram it through Congress. Even if it’s brought up it still needs the vote and they’d never get the votes needed until lobbyists are outlawed due to them just greasing the pockets of the campaigns. The food industry has a powerful lobby and would fight it tooth and nail.

It would nearly take an executive order outlawing lobbyist first before anything could change.