View Poll Results: What percentage tip am I giving based on the details in the post?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3.32/16.58 = 20%

33 22.76%
  • 3.32/(16.58+1.65) = 18%

7 4.83%
  • 3.32/21.68 = 15%

23 15.86%
  • Other (posted in thread)

82 56.55%
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xGLxAnubis View Post
    Waiters/Drivers/Etc do make minimum wage (Stop letting that lie that they make ~$3/hour without tips perpetuate. It's false. Look it up. With or without tips, they make ATLEAST minimum wage, legally. The employer must pay the difference any shift where they don't, after tips), so why tip? You're working a minimum wage job, you should make minimum wage.

I still do, because societal standards and not wanting to look like an asshole, not because I actually think they should get it. But I tip a flat $3 for delivery drivers, because there's no extra effort based on the price of my food.
    Well first off, chances are you're not driving your personal vehicle around all day long. Have you heard of the phrase "Wear and Tear" before? Well when you rack up hundreds of miles in a week of delivering, your car tends to take more of a beating than cars sitting in a parking lot waiting to be driven home after a long day of work. Sure they make minimum wage, but if anything happens to their vehicle whether it's mechanical damage of they get in an accident, they're screwed and on their own. You act like their only expense is paying for fuel when that couldn't be further from the truth. Good on you for still tipping, but don't don't be so naive to believe they aren't jeopardizing more than just gas.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    Preach brother! Not tipping was invented in the last 15 years by millennials.
    ahahahaha
    hahah
    hah
    ha.

Ask you local newspaper delivery guy who does not tip. Oh about 70% of the OLD ASS people getting the newspaper (since they are just about the only ones)….

do people blame millennials for everything/>?

Quote Originally Posted by telygroar View Post
    Really ? there are people who dont tip waiters or delivery guys ? I can understand it for people with no money, but the others...
    Hope you dont take any end of the year bonus, or anything like that.
    They're either looking for attention by being edgy or they are narcissistic people. Narcissistic people have a hard time or just outright refuse to understand other peoples lifes. They see the delivery person working a generic job and justify not tipping simply because no one tips them for their job. It's not rational, but they're typically "Me first" type of people and if they can't see a way of benefiting from tipping, then they simply won't. You shouldn't waste your time with those type of people though because they have their own narrative of how the world works and you're always wrong in their book.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Have you thought about how damned third world that sounds? Look at it this way, imagine the following scenario:

Your friend comes back from a visit to (pick your favorite country to dis) and tells you "hotels in X don't even pay their maids minimum wage, so you have to tip them 20% of the room cost. If you don't, it is an open secret that they will rub spit on your pillow and bed sheets, and then dip your razor and toothbrush in the toilet after they've pissed in it. Everyone talks about it and uses it as a threat but you'll never be able to prove it. You're just screwing over the poor worker in their eyes."

Think how that makes you feel about that country, now think about how the spit in food stories make us sound.

Hell, I'm living in a place that people are quick to cite as an example of poor conditions. I just got food delivered and I tipped nothing. It isn't a thing here and isn't expected, but he was polite and friendly all the same and that is usually the case. Then again, the guy gets paid decent money and the delivery company issues him a company uniform that doubles as safety gear (delivery is by motorcycle or electric scooter, so they get a helmet and wind suit with reflectors).

I have to wonder ... we can't even meet Chinese working conditions within a service sector? And we seem to brag about it?
    Not really personally, I am kind of of the belief that this kind of attitude directly contributes to it. Seeing a worker doing their best having the means to do almost nothing and make the lives of something coming up a little bit better and not because "Well fuck them"

Yeah when it a roam I guess, you're maybe being roam, but I am ok with the people rising up, when those with, aren't playing fair to those without. No human being deserves to be stepped on without second thought. If that is your bag so be it.

I don't see people needing to jump through a hoops on fire just to get a treat of decency.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2019-05-11 at 07:20 PM.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Well, it's not like you don't have a point there, but it's a tricky situation. I want to exert pressure on the legislature, and on businesses. But do I really want to do that by exerting pressure on the waiting staff, too? Do they really need to starve first before they protest? Maybe they do, maybe there's other ways. Hard to say.
    I think you're right that stiffing the little guy isn't the best solution, but I think also a lot of people in this thread underestimate how much resistance to changing the current system would come from the waitstaff. Now tips are inconsistent, and results vary by restaurant, and by night, and by season, but for plenty of servers, tips more than make up for inconsistent/bad hours. Restaurants don't need most servers for eight hours at a time, so working a full forty at one restaurant isn't something that most servers can/will do. But- if you can make good money in tips, it makes up for the lack of hours. Where I work, (when it isn't utterly dead) I make anywhere from $25-50/hour, so odds are good that switching to an hourly wage would (likely) result in a significant drop in income. Other servers would benefit, though, so the point is that servers would not be united in either supporting or opposing this sort of change.
    "As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    -H.L. Mencken, 1920

Quote Originally Posted by telygroar View Post
    Really ? there are people who dont tip waiters or delivery guys ? I can understand it for people with no money, but the others...
    Hope you dont take any end of the year bonus, or anything like that.
    People with no money shouldn't be ordering delivery or dining out in the first place. So really there is no excuse, if you live in an area where service workers live off tips either tip them or get your food elsewhere.

I like to make numbers nice and round or flat. If my bill is 21.03, I'll tip 3.97-4.97, etc. It just depends on service.

In the US? I tip based on the total including tax. Back home in Sweden? No tipping. Completely different tipping cultures depending on what country you're in and how restaurants pay their staff.

If the waiter/waitress is extremely nice I will still tip in Sweden, but as a rule people just don't tip.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Am i right in thinking that waitresses etc in America choose to get paid less and take 100% their tips? They also have the option of getting a better hourly rate but not get all the tips?
    Last edited by Fonduset; 2019-05-11 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Judging from the comments; empathy is an American only emotion.

These people would rather others starve than tip a few bucks. Just to “fight the man”. Ignoring that anyone who’s “the man” isn’t waiting or delivering crap
    Yeah it’s kind of hilarious people crying about doing something shitty to someone they feel is beneath them and having the same done in return.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

Quote Originally Posted by Satelliteyears0o View Post
    in order for that to happen, they would need to charge u like $10 more to ur bill.
    Eh. 10 dollars more for workers to make a living wage isn't too much of a burden for me.

I tip based off the final price at the bottom. I don't pay attention to percentages though.

I live in Denmark where takeaway drivers have decent salaries and everyone pays immediately when ordering (usually online as nobody wants to talk on the phone). So absolutely no tipping whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Where in any of I said do you take away I advocate for spitting in food. I’m just pointing out a fact of life and as to how I feel about it personally I haven’t said.

Although honestly if you rather not have spit in your don’t be a fucking cheap ass.
    According to you it's not only okay to spit in a customer's food, but it should be expected if you ''disrespect'' the staff. That's not how any of this should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Klling a new born is not much morally different than a late term abortion. Should be avoided, but it's not like it is an actual person yet.

I don't tip, of course. Salaries here doesn't work like in the US and other countries. It's not expected to tip.

And if I were to tip, while on say, vacation - if I got good service then sure. If not, and it's just the normal "what can I get you" robotic shit, then no, sorry. Not my fault they chose to work for shit pay.

I hardly, rarely ever order delivery, I pick up my own food to avoid having to tip.

10% when I sit down to eat at a restaurant which is often. 5% if I feel the wait service sucks. 20% on a rare occasion if the restaurant and wait service blows me away.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    According to you it's not only okay to spit in a customer's food, but it should be expected if you ''disrespect'' the staff. That's not how any of this should work.
    It's not that it's "OK", it means it will happen depending on the wait staff. Is it ethically wrong? Of course. But it's something you might wanna avoid altogether instead of just saving a few bucks. Respect the culture, have peace of mind, and then get back home and don't tip. Saliva isn't easy to spot in food, so no way you'd ever even know if someone fucked with your food. Foreigners not tipping because it's not customary is a case of ethics vs. street smarts.

Sure, you might not give in to the will of the foreign country's customs and culture you're visiting by not tipping, but then you never know if you'll be having sperm or spit in your sandwich. You're perfectly within your right to not tip, but for a country where food service works a certain way, it's just not smart to piss off someone who handles your food. You might catch them messing with your food and get them fired and the restaurant in trouble, or you might not.

If I pay a delivery fee, I'm not tipping. The fee is my tip. Otherwise I'll tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethxx View Post
    You must be a millennial....selfishness is the trait millennials will forever be known for in history
    To be fair, here in England (don't know for other countries in the EU) tipping isn't mandatory like it is over in the US, however with that said if I get a take away delivered I'll tip the driver.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I don't determine what is fair or how things should or shouldn't work and neither do you, but if you shit on or disrespect people working for a living and trying to get by, I have no sympathy for anyone not extending the same in return.

For delivery it's between $2-3. I have to do most of the carrying to my apartment anyways and the cost of the order is meaningless when they just drive. Since I pay with a card most of the time, I also give them a round up.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.