View Poll Results: What percentage tip am I giving based on the details in the post?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3.32/16.58 = 20%

33 22.76%
  • 3.32/(16.58+1.65) = 18%

7 4.83%
  • 3.32/21.68 = 15%

23 15.86%
  • Other (posted in thread)

82 56.55%
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    With delivery I usually tip about 5-10% on the final bill. Drivers get paid full hourly, and often times quite well, I just tip for their gas usage.

Waiters/waitresses though 10-20% depending on how they did, they get paid peanuts. Right now their "minimum wage" is just over 2 bucks with tips supposed to be making up the difference, or the boss if they don't... but that often doesn't happen.

As someone who has delivered pizzas before for several companies. Delivery drivers are considered contractors and are often not actually paid a minimum wage and thus rely on tips. This is a shitty business practice but it happens in Canada and in some parts of the US.
    Choose 20%. this isn't the 1950s anymore when 10% was acceptable. Or you can always pick up the order yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOut View Post
    Bartenders dont travel around in their own vehicle making drinks at my doorstep either. So no. Pizza delivery tips are my way of contributing to the wear and tear of their ride. While most pizza shops pay cents per mile driven, it comes nowhere close to the actual expense. And if their car does break down, their shit out of luck with their job. So yeah. Minor contribition. And I dont even do that all the time. If you're living off of tips and are self aware of that, then you're knowingly allowing yourself to be reliant by the grace of others. Doesnt sound like a smart financial way of making a living. So yes, I understand completely. Tipping is glorified handouts.There are plenty of shit wages in this world, guess you better tip them all, right?
    im not gonna argue with you, or return the sarcasm. You just have a strange way of thinking. I mean they have a saying "dont forget to tip ur bartender" for a reason...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    I already paid for delivery.
    yes you already paid the restaurant...

The Unstoppable Force
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethxx View Post
    You must be a millennial....selfishness is the trait millennials will forever be known for in history
    Hahahahahahaha.

Right, it's not the business owner who's being selfish by under paying their employees, it's the people who don't want to pay extra to cover up for shitty employers that are selfish.

Some of you people are ass backwards in your thinking. It's the employer's job to pay their workers, not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    As someone who has delivered pizzas before for several companies. Delivery drivers are considered contractors and are often not actually paid a minimum wage and thus rely on tips. This is a shitty business practice but it happens in Canada and in some parts of the US.
    Choose 20%. this isn't the 1950s anymore when 10% was acceptable. Or you can always pick up the order yourself.
    I'm not going to pay twice for delivery just because you slacked in school and can't get a job outside of delivering pizza.
    And you will deliver the order anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

If you don't want to pay a tip don't but personally I think you know better, you know you are fucking someone over, so nobody should be expected to go out of their way for you either.
    Why is it my responsibility to make sure employees at Domino's make a living wage? I'm not fucking anybody over you are if anything for encouraging companies to pay waiters/drivers pennies since you Will pick up their slack. I used to own a sports bar back in the day and I paid all my bartenders and waiters the actual min wage Of $8 something, instead of the "min wage with tips" which was like $2 an hour. And it wasn't like my bar was a fortune 500 company I don't wanna hear that shit that they can't afford to pay their employees properly

And lol at not spitting in my food is "going out of your way" ffs guy.
    Last edited by matheney2k; 2019-05-12 at 05:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Klling a new born is not much morally different than a late term abortion. Should be avoided, but it's not like it is an actual person yet.

They need to get rid of tipping completely in the US, and force the establishments they work at to pay them a livable wage. Shouldn't be the consumers problem to make sure the workers are able to feed their families for doing a job. I don't tip the trash men every week for taking away my garbage, that being said I usually just throw in a couple of extra dollars because I know their getting ripped off at their job.
    Never underestimate the unknown, or some shit. *shrugs i unno*

I'm an Aussie so I don't tip unless the service and food are absolutely amazing, and with pizza delivery you can't tell either of those things when they rock up at your door.

This "And hating tipping isn't some selfish millennial thing. It's a stupid American custom used to screw people out of an honest wage." As a person of 45 who earns above the 100k USD per year I find that restaurants with tipping are BAD restaurants that have no regards to their employees to pay them enough so I don't have to. Looking at the prices of food services in general, the prices are not low anymore, meaning the restaurants are just skimming the cream and leaving their customers to pick up, where they should have shown social liability and åay their staff the wages they need.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawlhero View Post
    They need to get rid of tipping completely in the US, and force the establishments they work at to pay them a livable wage. Shouldn't be the consumers problem to make sure the workers are able to feed their families for doing a job. I don't tip the trash men every week for taking away my garbage, that being said I usually just throw in a couple of extra dollars because I know their getting ripped off at their job.
    Exactly this. This cuck attitude that we have to pick up the slack for greedy companies who don't want to pay their employees properly needs to end.

From what I understand in this thread it's mainly the US that this is even an issue? Go figure
    Klling a new born is not much morally different than a late term abortion. Should be avoided, but it's not like it is an actual person yet.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Exactly this. This cuck attitude that we have to pick up the slack for greedy companies who don't want to pay their employees properly needs to end.

From what I understand in this thread it's mainly the US that this is even an issue? Go figure
    US = Cooperate profits vs Citizens, We have homeless people who work full time jobs, you can go bankrupt for getting sick, college is nearly impossible to go to with out putting yourself in massive debt, and this.
    Never underestimate the unknown, or some shit. *shrugs i unno*

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @Lemonpartyfan Well, you know, you could have actually read the article first. Your questions are addressed in detail, and no it isn't a "does or doesn't" situation.

So, people from groups seen as less likely to tip well get less attention, while those seen as more likely to tip will get pampered. That is not improved service across the customer base. Another segment of the article also addresses the negative effect on employers, that staff will do things like throwing in a free drink for good tips.

Going to need to see some facts on that, because the article addressed that one as well and you're just making an unsupported assertion.

On the issue of making up income if tips fall short -- look into the article (I really don't want to have to copy pasta the whole thing) and you will find:
    I read the full article except the section on sexual harassment, which is obviously wrong.

One of the first lines of the article is

Studies have shown that tipping is not an effective incentive for performance in servers
    yet it then says

It also creates an environment in which people of color, young people, old people, women, and foreigners tend to get worse service than white males.
    How are tips NOT an effective incentive, if they also give better tippers better service? That makes no sense. The reason behind "white males" line is because young white men generally tip better, but if tipping isn't a performance incentive, then why would white men be getting a larger share of the better attention? That is a contradictory idea.

The article addresses it, by saying exactly what I said, in a roundabout way, further down the article. If you are being paid improperly, take it up with your boss. If they won't do anything about it, report them. Just because they are breaking the law by NOT making up the difference after tips, they are doing something illegal. The argument made by the article in this regard isn't a good one.

Beyond that, the national average for wait staff is well above the federal minimum wage, and arguably I don't think it should be. Fast food workers don't get tips but they still deal with customers, in addition to cleaning up shit and barf in the bathrooms.

Even further beyond THAT, as someone who has worked multiple job that receive tips in my life, many employers don't even require you to report tips, so that average is lower than it should be. And if there were some great conspiracy by fast food management, looking at their books would be easy to see.

The section of the article you pasted in response to me is essentially just a "nuh uhn!" to that committee? Okay? If people are violating that law, report them. It gives an 84% rate, but what percent of those affected are reporting it? Close to zero? Okay?

I live in a city with a low cost of living. I know multiple servers that make 25$ an hour at their restaurant job, I'm sorry, anyone who says they only made 2.13 on their check isn't being honest, or is doing something wrong. They would have had to sign a contract to give the company all tips, and sign away their "right" to a minimum wage, which still wouldn't be legal. I worked in a restaurant, as well as had a job delivering pizzas, and my experience does not reflect the "2.13 only" bullshit either. On some nights I would work 6 hours and leave the store with 150 in tips. That would be 150 Friday, 150 Saturday, 150 Sunday, in addition to a gas stipend, and the minimum wage, in addition to free food. Most of the people I talk to about this now don't want tips to go away, they would make less money, they think. This includes someone who has worked at a "tipless" establishment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @Lemonpartyfan Edit noted, now please back yourself up with some sources.
    Why do I need a source when the article already sourced my point? If your manager is doing something illegal, report it...

- - - Updated - - -

Also this. Maybe 15 years ago they would have a case for tipping delivery drivers, but ever since they started that ''delivery fee'' bullshit I quit tipping so much tbh.
    The drivers do not get that money. But okay dude.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not going to pay twice for delivery just because you slacked in school and can't get a job outside of delivering pizza.
    What is your profession? How much room for more employees in your field do you think exists?

- - - Updated - - -

Great job sticking it to the man, dude. But practically speaking, you are just screwing over some random worker, likely trying to get through college. Congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    The drivers do not get the money, but ok dude.

Great job sticking it to the man, dude. But practically speaking, you are just screwing over some random worker, likely trying to get through college. Congrats!!
    That's exactly my point lol. The delivery drivers almost always use their own vehicles to make deliveries, yet the company has the balls to charge me extra fee for delivery, while also not giving that money to the driver? And you want to reinforce this sort of behavior and line of thinking? Get off my back guy. Blame Papa John's not me, some random guy that doesn't care much for paying your employees what you should be.

Don't get me wrong, if somebody does something extra or goes out of their way in an obvious manner then of course I will tip him or her, the amount depending on their gesture, since that is the meaning of the friggin word. Tips are earned not gaurunteed because greedy corporations want to pass the bill to me instead of properly paying their employees.

I promise you if the entire country tomorrow stopped tipping cold turkey things would change, but too many people don't wanna shake the status quo cuz they don't live off tips so they don't care too much so whatever. Just don't try to get on some high horse when you are really part of the problem, not me.
    Last edited by matheney2k; 2019-05-12 at 07:01 AM.

That's exactly my point lol. The delivery drivers almost always use their own vehicles to make deliveries, yet the company has the balls to charge me extra fee for delivery, while also not giving that money to the driver? And you want to reinforce this sort of behavior and line of thinking? Get off my back guy. Blame Papa John's not me, some random guy that doesn't care much for paying your employees what you should be.

Don't get me wrong, if somebody does something extra or goes out of their way in an obvious manner then of course I will tip him or her, the amount depending on their gesture, since that is the meaning of the friggin word. Tips are earned not gaurunteed because greedy corporations want to pass the bill to me instead of properly paying their employees.

I promise you if the entire country tomorrow stopped tipping cold turkey things would change, but too many people don't wanna shake the status quo cuz they don't live off tips so they don't care too much so whatever. Just don't try to get on some high horse when you are really part of the problem, not me.
    You're probably right, things would change: restaurants would raise prices 20%... where do you think businesses GET the money to pay their employees?

I never tip for deliveries, you pay delivery fee for a reason. Tips are payed when you get above average service or are otherwise above average impressed by the quality of your food.

A tip isn't baseline, it's a bonus.

That's a poor attitude to have.

Quote Originally Posted by willemh View Post
    I never tip for deliveries, you pay delivery fee for a reason. Tips are payed when you get above average service or are otherwise above average impressed by the quality of your food.

A tip isn't baseline, it's a bonus.

Although this may be unknown to you, the majority of the delivery fee (80%) does not go to the driver but instead it goes to the company. Drivers have to pay for their own maintenance and insurance on the vehicle plus gas and they usually end up getting $1 or so of the $4 delivery fee. Imo stores shouldn't even list a delivery fee but instead just include it without mentioning it in the order so there is less confusion for the customer. It's entirely up to you to tip, since i was raised if you can't afford the meal plus a gratuity then you shouldn't be ordering out when you could get a weeks worth of groceries instead.
    Don't be surprised if some companies decide to blacklist your address due to poor customer experiences or if your deliveries start taking an unusually long time for delivery.

Personally since I'm a generous person i'll always tip at a decent rate, since I don't know the drivers situation and they could be some broke college kid that just delivers to make money while paying their way through school.

I have a well paying job now, but I didn't always and I knew what it was like to be in that situation.
    Last edited by announced; 2019-05-12 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethxx View Post
    You must be a millennial....selfishness is the trait millennials will forever be known for in history
    Tipping customs vary from country to country you know. The pay for a delivery guy in Scandinavia is vastly higher compared to the US, so a tip isn't needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ser Arthur Dayne View Post
    Oh btw, reported, you replied faster than the run time of the video.

Why is it my responsibility to make sure employees at Domino's make a living wage?
    Why is it anyone's responsibility to give a shit what kind of service you get spit or something else. It's all about you right?

I'm not fucking anybody over you are if anything for encouraging companies to pay waiters/drivers pennies since you Will pick up their slack.
    Nope because I tip, I donate to campaigns to change the laws, I vote, I talk to my neighbors and get involved locally.

I used to own a sports bar back in the day and I paid all my bartenders and waiters the actual min wage Of $8 something, instead of the "min wage with tips" which was like $2 an hour. And it wasn't like my bar was a fortune 500 company I don't wanna hear that shit that they can't afford to pay their employees properly
    Do you want a cookie, you should pay your employees a livable wage if you can, you aren't suddenly mother Teresa

And lol at not spitting in my food is "going out of your way" ffs guy.
    Once again, I didn't and don't spit in anyone's food, nor have i endorsed that, but your finger waging, and thinking everyone should give a shit about your plight when you make the choice to say "Fuck leaving a tip"

This whole bullshit behind a single movie scene is absurd, if you want to get waiters paid more, DO something about it, don't fuck over some guy or gal who's literal life depends on tips.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    don't fuck over some guy or gal who's literal life depends on tips.
    This is the main argument I see from people who are pro tipping and honestly it's awful. Why the fuck should you hold someone emotionally hostage just because the restaurant wont pay it's employees properly. Making someone feel bad over this as though it's their fault is fucked up. It's not the customers responsibility to pick up the slack on underpaid wages and should not be held accountable like that regardless of how much the employee may depend upon it.

I'm so glad my country has national living wage laws because the whole tipping culture in NA is fucked.

I've only ever tipped once or twice in my entire life in my country and that was as a gift because somebody did an amazing job for me (tattoo), not because they performed the job that was expected of them in the first place with a forced "have a nice day sir".
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    This is the main argument I see from people who are pro tipping and honestly it's awful. Why the fuck should you hold someone emotionally hostage just because the restaurant wont pay it's employees properly. Making someone feel bad over this as though it's their fault is fucked up. It's not the customers responsibility to pick up the slack on underpaid wages and should not be held accountable like that regardless of how much the employee may depend upon it.

I'm so glad my country has national living wage laws because the whole tipping culture in NA is fucked.

I've only ever tipped once or twice in my entire life in my country and that was as a gift because somebody did an amazing job for me (tattoo), not because they performed the job that was expected of them in the first place with a forced "have a nice day sir".
    They will never understand, they think they are helping the situation and are blinding by that thought, and his argument is largely nonsensical.

As I stated earlier, I have zero issue giving somebody a tip if they did something special or extra to earn that tip, but I'm not going to tip you for just doing your job, that's why you get a paycheck. If people take issue with the amount delivery people get paid they need to take it up with their employers, not the fuggin' customer what kind of retarded logic is that even?

"Hey my buddy only gets paid minimum wage at Best Buy so I punched a guy that bought a TV from Best Buy the other day to get even"
    Last edited by matheney2k; 2019-05-12 at 07:53 AM.