View Poll Results: What percentage tip am I giving based on the details in the post?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3.32/16.58 = 20%

33 22.76%
  • 3.32/(16.58+1.65) = 18%

7 4.83%
  • 3.32/21.68 = 15%

23 15.86%
  • Other (posted in thread)

82 56.55%
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I tip whatever I feel like tipping based on if they gave good service or not. Bad service? lower tip. Only way to ensure they learn how to do their job. Just as with any job that works with any type of commission. I don't prescribe to that "but their lifelyhoods!" bs. They knew what this was and if they want to make to work, then they better do good or get squat. You don't buy a car from a car salesmen who wont tell you a single thing about its features.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dethxx View Post
    You must be a millennial....selfishness is the trait millennials will forever be known for in history
    If by millennial you mean entitled waiters / delivery drivers then sure. You're not entitled to a tip. Its a gratuity. Idc if the prices of food go up. I expect quality service otherwise, you're useless being there.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

we do not order out, we go out. if its pizza we order over the phone and one of us goes to pick it up and brings it home. if its a restaurant then tipping depends entirely on the service provided, good service gets a few dollars, bad service gets nothing.
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

I typically toss them 5 with a little rounding. So if its like 22.68 I make it 28.00 and call it a day. For pizza at least.

When I go somewhere usually its about a 10. But I might raise it if service is good or when my kids were young and caused issues.

i generally tip based on service provided, with the cost of the meal being a lesser influencer.

if you come across as rude, you probably wont get anything regardless of how well you did.

if you ignore me the whole time im there and i want a drink refill, you might get a dollar, maybe.

if you provide proper service, youll probably get about 4-5 dollars, since most times i go out only costs 20-25 dollars between myself and another person.
    proper service doesnt mean my drink is refilled the instant it runs out of itself, but at least check every 3 minutes or so. not once during an entire meal.

as for pizza, i used to tip 4-5 dollars on a 25 dollar order, then most places started adding delivery fees of a minimum of 2.50. at that point i started tipping 1-2 dollars depending on what i had on me. the delivery fee should go to the drivers. i know it doesnt, but thats something delivery drivers need to take up with their scummy stores.

that said, 99% of the time i just make food at home. i usually get annoyed at how badly things are cooked when i go out, and spend more than 3 times what i would to just make it at home. the exceptions are when i dont feel like cleaning that night, and pizza. dough is just a pain to make.
    Last edited by Sevarin; 2019-05-11 at 02:06 AM.

About $5 every order that's decently priced. I don't care about the 15% rule unless it's a smaller order, because tipping $5 for a $2 order is dumb. At best, maybe $10 if they were exceptional and my meal was already pricey, but even then. You should always tip though, even if it isn't much - they are still bringing your food and drinks with like $3.15/hr.
    "Your name was stolen? I see... Well, I guess that happens from time to time..."

There's an asian place in town I always tip heavy on, so I don't tip the delivery guy, since I'm often tipping 50% of the meal price (usually ~$15 in tips).

I usually tip delivery guys 5 bucks regardless in other situations. I'd generally rather be forgotten as "that guy who gives me a little cash" than known as a big tipper or a non-tipper.

America is a tipping society, if you're not tipping, you're an asshole. Not some freedom fighter rebelling against the man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    "That's my style; I like to kick 'em when they're down!"
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

Quote Originally Posted by Sevarin View Post
    i generally tip based on service provided, with the cost of the meal being a lesser influencer.

if you come across as rude, you probably wont get anything regardless of how well you did.

if you ignore me the whole time im there and i want a drink refill, you might get a dollar, maybe.

if you provide proper service, youll probably get about 4-5 dollars, since most times i go out only costs 20-25 dollars between myself and another person.

as for pizza, i used to tip 4-5 dollars on a 25 dollar order, then most places started adding delivery fees of a minimum of 2.50. at that point i started tipping 1-2 dollars depending on what i had on me. the delivery fee should go to the drivers. i know it doesnt, but thats something delivery drivers need to take up with their scummy stores.

that said, 99% of the time i just make food at home. i usually get annoyed at how badly things are cooked when i go out, and spend more than 3 times what i would to just make it at home. the exceptions are when i dont feel like cleaning that night, and pizza. dough is just a pain to make.
    Yeah. I asked the delivery person, and they said that the $3.45 delivery charge goes toward compensating them for gas and stuff. That's one of the reasons I don't include it in the tip calculation. I tip them based on the final bill minus the delivery charge, with a $3 minimum. If it's snowing or raining, I'll give them $6 or so.

Also, this is 2 miles away in a small town. It takes them literally 12 minutes round-trip. That's like me paying them $16.60 an hour with a $3.32 tip.
    Last edited by joebob42; 2019-05-11 at 02:09 AM.

You must be a millennial....selfishness is the trait millennials will forever be known for in history
    I'm a millennial and I tip 15-25% depending on the type of service I get. Take your stereotypes and go somewhere else.

To the OP: I always tip at least $5. If I ordered a $10 pizza I'd tip $5.

Pizza delivery person gets 5 or $6 on top of their delivery fee.

Restaurants? Minimum 10%. Normally 25 ~ 50%. Christmas season 50 ~ 100%.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Don't tip. Tipping is optional.

I typically do $7 for a pizza delivery, I never order more than 1 or 2 pizzas depending on how many I've got over, so it's usually a decent tip.
    No ideology has been more murderous or detrimental to human dignity than Communism
    Quote Originally Posted by kidkilla View Post
    The Ottomans brought civilization to Greece.
    Oh my...

It's been a long time since I've eaten in a restaurant. But I was always a good tipper back then. My bill could be $10 bucks and I would leave a five..
    To me it was always about leaving something that would be more substantial than mere "chump change."

Tipping, as I understand it, is usually an American thing, the person you are quoting is from Sweden. Tipping may not be big there.

As for tipping; I usually tip around 15% based on the total that is presented on the ticket.

If it's a $20 meal, I guess the tip with be around $3.
    Last edited by RampageBW1; 2019-05-11 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Do you tip based on the meal base price, or do you tip based on the final amount that includes taxes and other fees like delivery charge?

Say you have the following pizza order:

Subtotal $16.58
    Delivery Fee $3.45
    Estimated Tax $1.65
    Total $21.68

Pizza tipping guides say to tip a minimum of $3 for orders under $20, and a minimum of $5 for orders over $20. Do you consider this an order under $20 or over $20? I would tend to give them $25 in cash, which means a $3.32 tip. Note that the pizza place is two miles away, straight down the road with no special circumstances like rain or snow.

What percentage tip is $3.32 on this order?

A) 3.32/16.58 = 20%
    B) 3.32/(16.58+1.65) = 18%
    C) 3.32/21.68 = 15%

Do you think this technically crosses the $20 barrier to a $5 minimum tip?
    In a regular restaurant, do you tip based on the final bill amount or the pre-tax amount?

Edit: Is $25 in cash for a $21.68 pizza order 2 miles away in nice weather decent?
    Don't overthink it with percentages. That is a better rule of thumb for FSR servers because the ticket value can vary much, much more than the average ticket price for pizza.

If you ordered at all and aren't tipping at least 3 bucks, you're trash.

A $4 or $5 tip is legit for anything up to about 50 bucks total, although personally I'd probably be up to 6-7 by then, but a $50 bag doesn't necessarily weigh more or take more effort than a $20 bag - speciality pizzas, etc. Yeah, $5 on a 40-50 ticket might disappoint a little, but it isn't going to earn you a bad rep either.

If you are ordering for a company event/school/birthday whatever and getting 10 or more pies and stuff, it's time to start getting up into double digits.

If you do want to play percentages, don't be a cheapskate, it's a percentage of your entire bill, not the subtotal.

Being from somewhere that actually pays its workers. I do not tip.

ideally we shouldn't have to tip and the places should pay their employees more. Realistically, like 2-5$ since I dont feel like doing the math their boss should be doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

I tip waiters/servers because the stupid legislation makes it essentially required for them to survive.

I don't tip delivery drivers. ESPECIALLY if the place already charges a delivery fee.

I stopped ordering delivery because I dont want to pay for a tip and delivery fee. The last delivery guy got 2 bucks for me because not only did he not read the delivery directions, he couldnt even be assed to find my name on the buzzer, so he called me and told me to come downstairs and let him in.

Probably 10-20%, if it's below 4 bucks I might increase it depending on the delivery. Would also depend on the delivery charge. I'm not even sure about the pricing model around here, since I never ordered a pizza before. If I want fast food I get it myself or I just make something as simplistic as a pizza myself.

Quote Originally Posted by psiko74 View Post
    Don't tip. Tipping is optional.
    This is how you get spit on your pizza.
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh