View Poll Results: What percentage tip am I giving based on the details in the post?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3.32/16.58 = 20%

    33 22.76%
  • 3.32/(16.58+1.65) = 18%

    7 4.83%
  • 3.32/21.68 = 15%

    23 15.86%
  • Other (posted in thread)

    82 56.55%
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
14
... LastLast
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Edit: Is $25 in cash for a $21.68 pizza order 2 miles away in nice weather decent?
    I guess my question is, was it multiple pizza's or one? Because if one Pizza was $21.68 then they already tacked on gratuity and delivery charges and I would only give $22, if it was multiple Pizza's $25 is a little cheap because of gas prices, sadly most of the time gas has to be covered by the delivery man(same for wear and tear on the delivery car as most places don't have a dedicated delivery vehicle) all of that comes out of their tips. Normally(lately anyway) delivery places have been tacking on delivery charges and gratuity on their own because of customers who normally wouldn't tip or tip too low to cover travel expenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

    Zyky is better than you.

  2. #62
    Waiters/Drivers/Etc do make minimum wage (Stop letting that lie that they make ~$3/hour without tips perpetuate. It's false. Look it up. With or without tips, they make ATLEAST minimum wage, legally. The employer must pay the difference any shift where they don't, after tips), so why tip? You're working a minimum wage job, you should make minimum wage.

    I still do, because societal standards and not wanting to look like an asshole, not because I actually think they should get it. But I tip a flat $3 for delivery drivers, because there's no extra effort based on the price of my food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

  3. #63
    The Undying Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    37,034
    Quote Originally Posted by psiko74 View Post
    /shrug as long as I dont know, it wont hurt me. if i do see something or i get sick, someone is losing their job.
    I guess that’s a fair exchange for you. Me I’ll enjoy my pizza spit free. As for your threat well I guess you can go through all that hassle to fire some kid who’s already making a shitty wage. Hell just go to the next job you rely on do the same kind of thing you hopefully won’t have to deal with.

    All of this to cheat a lowly pizza guy.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2019-05-11 at 03:43 AM.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by xGLxAnubis View Post
    Waiters/Drivers/Etc do make minimum wage (Stop letting that lie that they make ~$3/hour without tips perpetuate. It's false. Look it up. With or without tips, they make ATLEAST minimum wage, legally. The employer must pay the difference any shift where they don't, after tips), so why tip? You're working a minimum wage job, you should make minimum wage.

    I still do, because societal standards and not wanting to look like an asshole, not because I actually think they should get it. But I tip a flat $3 for delivery drivers, because there's no extra effort based on the price of my food.
    Dont be a jackass with the ppl that handles your food, thats the ancient golden rule.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    ... these people get paid less than minimum wage because they rely on tips ...
    No they don't, stop believing this. If they work a shift and got 0 in tips, the employer would legally be required to pay them minimum wage. They don't rely on tips to make minimum wage; they rely on tips to make OVER minimum wage (And even at some of the cheapest restaurants, good servers are still pulling minimum of $15 an hour after tips.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

  6. #66
    The Undying Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    37,034
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    So you advocate for people to spit on the food of others?
    Quite a bold stance
    Where in any of I said do you take away I advocate for spitting in food. I’m just pointing out a fact of life and as to how I feel about it personally I haven’t said.

    Although honestly if you rather not have spit in your don’t be a fucking cheap ass.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  7. #67
    Immortal Khaza-R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Darkside of the Moon
    Posts
    7,731
    Quote Originally Posted by xGLxAnubis View Post
    Waiters/Drivers/Etc do make minimum wage (Stop letting that lie that they make ~$3/hour without tips perpetuate. It's false. Look it up. With or without tips, they make ATLEAST minimum wage, legally. The employer must pay the difference any shift where they don't, after tips), so why tip? You're working a minimum wage job, you should make minimum wage.

    I still do, because societal standards and not wanting to look like an asshole, not because I actually think they should get it. But I tip a flat $3 for delivery drivers, because there's no extra effort based on the price of my food.
    Federal minimum wage for a hospitality worker is $2.13/h as long as they receive more than $30 a month in tips

    So just blatantly wrong

  8. #68
    I tend to tip 20% on the cost of the food - not including the delivery fee which is an arbitrary figure tacked on by the business. So if the food came to $15 and the fee was $3.50, my total paid out would be $21.50 and not $22.20. I'm not tipping the business fee, I'm tipping the driver.

    Now, if their delivery tends to get slower, then the percentage goes down. If they're delivering in weather I wouldn't want to be out in, the percentage goes up. It is common decency and every driver tipped has appreciated it. The only time I wouldn't tip is if the weather was fine but they took like 1.5h to deliver food that should have come in 30m.

  9. #69
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    18,874
    In the US, 20% of the grand total is generally the baseline - I'll cut it down to 15% or 10% if the delivery is late or obviously wrong. Tipping is indeed a terrible custom that should be changed, and delivery drivers/waitstaff should be paid a decent living wage. Until this changes, though; tipping is where that sector of workers get the majority of their wages.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." - The Player, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead"

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Federal minimum wage for a hospitality worker is $2.13/h as long as they receive more than $30 a month in tips

    So just blatantly wrong
    No. It's 2.13/hour MINIMUM. If during a shift you make less than standard federal minimum wage after tips, the employer must pay the difference.

    Many employers get away with not doing that, because employee's are stupid.

    Edit: It's during a week, not a shift. My bad. From Department of Labor https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/hrg.htm

    "The employer who elects to use the tip credit provision must inform the employee in advance and must be able to show that the employee receives at least the applicable minimum wage (see above) when direct wages and the tip credit allowance are combined. If an employee’s tips combined with the employer’s direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. "

    And an article that goes much deeper into it: https://culinarylore.com/drinks:is-i...-minimum-wage/

    TL;DR: Tipped Employee's make standard minimum wage even if they get $0 in tips.
    Last edited by xGLxAnubis; 2019-05-11 at 03:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

  11. #71
    No, never tip because my country isnt a shithole that supports the employer paying their people in smarties.

  12. #72
    In Sweden we don't tip

    My DeviantART: http://hypzone.deviantart.com/ | Requests: Closed

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    I guess my question is, was it multiple pizza's or one? Because if one Pizza was $21.68 then they already tacked on gratuity and delivery charges and I would only give $22, if it was multiple Pizza's $25 is a little cheap because of gas prices, sadly most of the time gas has to be covered by the delivery man(same for wear and tear on the delivery car as most places don't have a dedicated delivery vehicle) all of that comes out of their tips. Normally(lately anyway) delivery places have been tacking on delivery charges and gratuity on their own because of customers who normally wouldn't tip or tip too low to cover travel expenses.
    It was one pizza that came to $16.58 due to toppings and stuff that add up. They tacked on a $3.45 delivery fee that isn't given directly to the driver as a "tip", but is used to pay out all the drivers for gas and car wear and tear. Then there was the $1.65 in tax.

    So I'm basically giving them $3.32 to bring a single pizza two miles to my door. I feel like that's pretty reasonable on my part.

  14. #74
    I have worked as a delivery driver more than one (part time in high school and then as a weekend job along with my full time). We never messed with peoples food. But those who were know to stiff would ALWAYS be put at then end of the runs. Maybe getting their pizza an hour after their order would teach them. If not hopefully they would stop ordering.

    Oh and out of the $3 delivery fee, the drivers get $1, the store gets $2.
    Last edited by suppatank; 2019-05-11 at 04:05 AM.

  15. #75
    Old God endersblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    10,520
    Wow, is it really time for another tipping thread? Time does fly...

    I live in a state where minimum wage is, well, the MINIMUM people get paid, and tips are icing on the cake. I still tip out of habit, though I would prefer not to. Not because I don't want the drivers/waiters to get paid, but because I think it is a ridiculously archaic system that needs to go away. A 'tip' is supposed to be that - OPTIONAL. It is for when you feel someone went above and beyond, or you really enjoyed their service. If the waiter does the bare minimum, they will either get a very low tip, usually rounding up to the nearest $5 or $10, or nothing at all.

    Unfortunately this is harder to do for delivery drivers, as more often than not the tip is factored in on their website. I don't carry cash with me so it's hard to just tip at the door. Granted I have very, very rarely felt the delivery driver didn't earn their tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by xGLxAnubis View Post
    No they don't, stop believing this. If they work a shift and got 0 in tips, the employer would legally be required to pay them minimum wage. They don't rely on tips to make minimum wage; they rely on tips to make OVER minimum wage (And even at some of the cheapest restaurants, good servers are still pulling minimum of $15 an hour after tips.)
    And do you know what happens to workers that report $0 in tips, or even less than whatever the tip credit in their state is? They get fired, legally in right-to-work states.

    And given that this thread is specifically about delivery drivers, you're not even figuring in the cost of the vehicle, insurance, fuel, repairs. And when their vehicle does break they don't keep getting paid, they literally have to pay what little they may have to fix it so they can keep delivering to your cheap ass.

    Selfish fucks abound in this thread, that can't see beyond "me me me me" to consider other human beings as real people deserving of anything other than a hearty "fuck you, I got mine".
    Shut your goddamn mouth, Gene!

  17. #77
    I don't tip when I'm charged for delivery.

  18. #78
    The Lightbringer De Lupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    3,212
    I usually just go with a flat five dollars.

    It was good enough for me when I was a pizza driver.
    What I expect, not necessarily what I want, to happen within Battle for Azeroth:
    Zekhan to begin his hero's journey - Rexxar will die - Lightforged Forsaken Alliance - Saurfang will die - Vulpera Horde - Old Gods no earlier than final patch - Jaina and Sylvanas are NOT under Old God influence - Thrall will die - Sylvanas will kill Saurfang - Junker Gnomes Alliance - Jaina vs Thrall cinematic - Varian's "kindness" is repaid

  19. #79
    If it’s from somewhere where tips are done then usually 20% after tax. If it’s from somewhere that tips are not done then nothing.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    And do you know what happens to workers that report $0 in tips, or even less than whatever the tip credit in their state is? They get fired, legally in right-to-work states.

    And given that this thread is specifically about delivery drivers, you're not even figuring in the cost of the vehicle, insurance, fuel, repairs. And when their vehicle does break they don't keep getting paid, they literally have to pay what little they may have to fix it so they can keep delivering
    Pretty much true.

    And for the people that always go "well, they should just pay the employees more"... where do you think that money would come from? Oh, right... they'd raise prices so you're STILL paying the same regardless.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •