View Poll Results: What percentage tip am I giving based on the details in the post?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3.32/16.58 = 20%

33 22.76%
  • 3.32/(16.58+1.65) = 18%

7 4.83%
  • 3.32/21.68 = 15%

23 15.86%
  • Other (posted in thread)

82 56.55%
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus
    Not what you think you know it’s what you can prove.
    Have you thought about how damned third world that sounds? Look at it this way, imagine the following scenario:

Your friend comes back from a visit to (pick your favorite country to dis) and tells you "hotels in X don't even pay their maids minimum wage, so you have to tip them 20% of the room cost. If you don't, it is an open secret that they will rub spit on your pillow and bed sheets, and then dip your razor and toothbrush in the toilet after they've pissed in it. Everyone talks about it and uses it as a threat but you'll never be able to prove it. You're just screwing over the poor worker in their eyes."

Think how that makes you feel about that country, now think about how the spit in food stories make us sound.

Hell, I'm living in a place that people are quick to cite as an example of poor conditions. I just got food delivered and I tipped nothing. It isn't a thing here and isn't expected, but he was polite and friendly all the same and that is usually the case. Then again, the guy gets paid decent money and the delivery company issues him a company uniform that doubles as safety gear (delivery is by motorcycle or electric scooter, so they get a helmet and wind suit with reflectors).

I have to wonder ... we can't even meet Chinese working conditions within a service sector? And we seem to brag about it?
    "No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

Sixty years. One sexagenary cycle complete, a new adventure awaits.
    shadowmouse, previously bungeebungee

Quote Originally Posted by Dethxx View Post
    You must be a millennial....selfishness is the trait millennials will forever be known for in history
    Nah, we just live in a country where you get paid by the work you do rather than by customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethxx View Post
    You must be a millennial....selfishness is the trait millennials will forever be known for in history
    Could also be she is in a country where the tip or the fee for the pizza delivery guy / waiter is included in the fee. But yeah...I still tip then.

But since everyone is always so keen about tipping the pizza guy. Do you tip your amazon delivery guy?

Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I just give them a flat £1-£2 for deliveries and £5 for waiters. Unless they’re cunts.

Tipping as a requirement is dumb. I tip waiters generally if they provided particularly good service during a meal, but otherwise nah. What the fuck dumbass business model involves underpaying your staff and forcing customers to pay an invisible charge? Lul it's nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    Tipping as a requirement is dumb. I tip waiters generally if they provided particularly good service during a meal, but otherwise nah. What the fuck dumbass business model involves underpaying your staff and forcing customers to pay an invisible charge? Lul it's nonsense.
    From a business standpoint its pretty damn genius. What's nonsense are the customers who defend it.

Common industry standard of etiquette in the U.S.A is a 15% - 20% tip across all tipping scenarios.

Why would you give them free money when they wouldnt even let you pay 1 cent less than needed?

i pay the price he asks plus 1 euro, no % in Greece just up to us how much to tip.

Depends. If I'm ordering from grubhub or doordash, I generally just select the highest available option aside from manual entry.

When i order from dominos I usually do a flat 5 dollars. When I eat at a restaurant I aim for five dollars.

I don't really take the price into account.

I don't tip.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Why would you give them free money when they wouldnt even let you pay 1 cent less than needed?
    Not only that, why would I pay additional to someone who is doing the job they're already paid to do?

Quote Originally Posted by FaceYourself View Post
    Common industry standard of etiquette in the U.S.A is a 15% - 20% tip across all tipping scenarios.
    This is the custom. If I get delivery or go out, I'm prepared to tip. 90% of the time I'd rather just get the food myself and save $$

Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Do you tip based on the meal base price, or do you tip based on the final amount that includes taxes and other fees like delivery charge?

Say you have the following pizza order:

Subtotal $16.58
    Delivery Fee $3.45
    Estimated Tax $1.65
    Total $21.68

Pizza tipping guides say to tip a minimum of $3 for orders under $20, and a minimum of $5 for orders over $20. Do you consider this an order under $20 or over $20? I would tend to give them $25 in cash, which means a $3.32 tip. Note that the pizza place is two miles away, straight down the road with no special circumstances like rain or snow.

What percentage tip is $3.32 on this order?

A) 3.32/16.58 = 20%
    B) 3.32/(16.58+1.65) = 18%
    C) 3.32/21.68 = 15%

Do you think this technically crosses the $20 barrier to a $5 minimum tip?
    In a regular restaurant, do you tip based on the final bill amount or the pre-tax amount?

Edit: Is $25 in cash for a $21.68 pizza order 2 miles away in nice weather decent?

So I never tip pizza delivery, Easy job, If your boss pays you shitty wage for doing so that's your fault for accepting it. You can find a better job.
    My justification is the fact that pizza delivery guy would not have a job in the 1st place without my order.

My son worked pizza delivery 5 years before he got his degree, Pizza place was run by the right person who paid his delivery guys right ( 50 cents above MW )and they used 3 company cars, He was told any tips was taken back to the store and cut between ALL workers at the end of the week, this is tips done right. People that cook the food should get tips more than just some dude that drops it off at your door.

Next, I never tip at Chinese, Because the business is family ran, it does not go to the person you are tipping and instead goes into the family pot and sent back home to China. fuck that.

Now we talk about waitering, I only tip if I get top service that I expect, If I get some rude bitch, at the end of my meal I order a glass of water put a 1 dollar bill over it and flip it on the table, enjoy cleaning that mess and yeah I never go back. If you ASK for a tip, I call for the owner/management and explain that I am never coming back which normally get the person into deep shit. However, if I get someone sweet and caring + my meal was cooked the way I ordered then yes, I'll toss out 20%/20bucks for a tip.

This whole " If you can't tip then don't order " rule is so left it's not even funny. Like a said before, they wouldn't have a job in the 1st place without my order or bussiness.

Not only that, why would I pay additional to someone who is doing the job they're already paid to do?
    Exactly, This.
    Last edited by Reclaimer; 2019-05-11 at 12:22 PM.
    Feeling good, My source just got done telling me the point of shadowlands and whats after with a nice bonus of what the 2 missing classes are in D4. Awesome! Fucking dope and cant wait for the future of both games.

I never understood the concept of tipping. Do you tip everyone who does a service you for?

Like if you go to the bank to, for example, take a loan, do you give something to the dude who gave you the loan?
    Or if you go to get your pc fixed, do you give some extra to the dude who fixed it directly??

They get paid to do what they do, what is the extra tipping for?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    It should depend on the job, to be honest.

Waiters/servers in food service industries are not making an hourly wage. If they are it's far less than minimum wage on purpose. I was a waiter/server in my early 20's and the hourly wage was $2.50 because of tips.

Do you not tip your bartender when you go out? Don't answer me if you don't go to bars, lol.

But it's the same point. Certain industries are designed with tips in mind. If there are people in the world who specifically do not tip at all by choice, regardless of where they choose to go, then these people who not engage with these industries.

But of course this is a topic/argument/debate that has been happening for literally decades. It's common sense and etiquette that allow these industries to continue operating.

It should depend on the job, to be honest.
    No? If you're not being paid for the job you do, why would you stay with them to exploit you?
    Waiters/servers in food service industries are not making an hourly wage. If they are it's far less than minimum wage on purpose. I was a waiter/server in my early 20's and the hourly wage was $2.50 because of tips.
    Yes, they are. It's illegal to not pay your employers.
    Do you not tip your bartender when you go out? Don't answer me if you don't go to bars, lol.
    No, why would I?

No? If you're not being paid for the job you do, why would you stay with them to exploit you?
    Because like I said, that job is designed with tips in mind. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it does not exist nor could it be considered "exploiting" and you should stay away from it.

Yes, they are. It's illegal to not pay your employers.
    Ok, so you purposely ignored the rest of what I said. Noted. Please go back and re-read.

No, why would I?
    Don't answer me if you don't go to bars... like I wrote. Please go back and re-read.

Because like I said, that job is designed with tips in mind. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it does not exist nor could it be considered "exploiting" and you should stay away from it.
    So you're fine with people being exploited. Duly noted.

Don't answer me if you don't go to bars... like I wrote. Please go back and re-read.
    I go to bars, I don't tip. Why would I tip them for doing the job they're already paid to do?

Delivery $3-5. Waiters/Waitress minimum that is customary as good waiters/waitresses make plenty on tips alone. Many refuse to pay taxes on their tips because of the belief they are underpaid.

So you're fine with people being exploited. Duly noted.
    Please explain to me why you believe that's exploitation, because until you do, you're being willfully ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Maquegyver View Post
    Delivery $3-5. Waiters/Waitress minimum that is customary as good waiters/waitresses make plenty on tips alone. Many refuse to pay taxes because of the belief they are underpaid.
    This is true. A lot attempt to not even claim their tips. It's up to their place of work to catch that.