View Poll Results: What percentage tip am I giving based on the details in the post?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3.32/16.58 = 20%

    33 22.76%
  • 3.32/(16.58+1.65) = 18%

    7 4.83%
  • 3.32/21.68 = 15%

    23 15.86%
  • Other (posted in thread)

    82 56.55%
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
10
11
19
... LastLast
  1. #161
    Legendary! FuxieDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    København
    Posts
    6,898
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Again, l2read because i'm not standing up for the system. I think this is garbage and always have been.
    As long as you make argument for mandatory tipping you ARE standing up for the system.

    It is NEVER EVER the customer's responsability to pay the salery of the worker. That responsability falls to the employer. ALWAYS!

    If you are under paid, demand a raise or quit the job; if you do neither, keep your mouth shut!

    Two words for you pal: Labour Union!
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > MoP > BfA > WoD = WotLK

    My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Tipping isn't being selfless, it is just feeding into restaurants paying their employees less than the minimum wage.

    If a restaurant allows tipping, it is a shitty restaurant.
    You are right, but not tipping is not "fighting the man" or what ever you want to call it, it is simply screwing wait staff out of money. You can fight that issue through legislation if you want, but just flat out not tipping for some ideological reason regarding that issue just harms that employee and does nothing else at all.

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    No, I'd find work that pays what I think is enough.
    You need a bit more perspective if I’m being honest. Not insulting you but you need to learn to put yourself in others shoes

    There aren’t a lot of great jobs for uneducated people and if delivering food can keep their kids fed through tips who are we to judge their situation?

    You should be thankful that you have the entitled life where you can say “I’ll pick and choose my jobs based on my demands” and not “I need money tomorrow or my kid doesn’t eat”

    Have some empathy for goodness sake. Or if you can’t afford to tip, maybe you should deliver too?

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    As long as you make argument for mandatory tipping you ARE standing up for the system.

    It is NEVER EVER the customer's responsability to pay the salery of the worker. That responsability falls to the employer. ALWAYS!

    If you are under paid, demand a raise or quit the job; if you do neither, keep your mouth shut!

    Two words for you pal: Labour Union!

    A labor union? Why that’s a great idea I’m sure no one in American history tried that before. Once again you lack perspective.

    I’m not arguing about the morality of the system; I’m just saying the system as it is I’m not too cheap to top. If you’re too cheap to tip, maybe you should be the one waiting

  5. #165
    Legendary! FuxieDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    København
    Posts
    6,898
    I think this clip is due about now.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > MoP > BfA > WoD = WotLK

    My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by Moralgy View Post
    You are right, but not tipping is not "fighting the man" or what ever you want to call it, it is simply screwing wait staff out of money. You can fight that issue through legislation if you want, but just flat out not tipping for some ideological reason regarding that issue just harms that employee and does nothing else at all.

    Yeah they don’t get it. They are either too young or too entitled. They lack real world experience. In America you tip because it’s how the wait staff eats. I hate the law but it’s IMMORAL to not tip them because of fighting the man. If they were the man, they wouldn’t be waiting tables

  7. #167
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethxx View Post
    You must be a millennial....selfishness is the trait millennials will forever be known for in history
    You could have looked at where they are from too. Tipping isn't common practice in almost all of Europe, in some areas it is even considered bad manners.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

  8. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    I'm going to be working at a home for elderly people after mybtrip to thailand, that's high school education and will pay me like 20k.
    20k won’t ecen be a house payment in the USA. It won’t ecen get you a good car

    Btw can I say how amazing that is of you? It takes a special person to do what you’re doing and I wish you nothing but the best over there.

    Again, I hate our system at times I wasn’t trying to be like oh it’s so great and I tip because of that. No, I tip despite the awful system it’s built on. Out of empathy for the little guys who are working and delivering food who are under appreciated by the boss. Is that small tip gonna change their lives? Nah but it’s just good Will

  9. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Tipping isn't being selfless, it is just feeding into restaurants paying their employees less than the minimum wage.

    If a restaurant allows tipping, it is a shitty restaurant.
    So you don't like pretty much every restaurant in the US than.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

  10. #170
    Banned Ealyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Switzerland, Geneva
    Posts
    5,859
    YAY for tip thread #0983

  11. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    So you'd starve then. Got it. The world is a cruel place and it isn't easy out there for some people. You obviously have it easy with a "i won't work" entitled attitude, but if some people don't work THEY DON'T EAT. or their kids don't eat. Or they can't pay the rent. etc etc

    You think anyone wants to go work as a waiter and get crapped on all day for minimum tips? Come on

    We don't all live in Sweden where our government pays for us to exist.
    Or just find another job. Also, Sweden does not pay you to exist. If you straved they might feed you and they might put a roof over your head but not much more than that. You know, a bit like in pretty much every country in the west.

    But again, find a better job.

  12. #172
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    So you don't like pretty much every restaurant in the US than.
    Most of the comments negative are from non Americans. As an American and someone who’s first job was waiting; the system sucks and needs to be rebuilt.

    It shouldn’t be legal to pay under minmum wage under any circumstances

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Or just find another job. Also, Sweden does not pay you to exist. If you straved they might feed you and they might put a roof over your head but not much more than that. You know, a bit like in pretty much every country in the west.

    But again, find a better job.
    Beggars can’t be choosers. If you’re uneducated in the USA and have bills and kids to feed; you take what you can get. We can judge their life decisions from our high horse, but that doesn’t change the reality of it

  13. #173
    In my country, The Netherlands, we have "Collective Labour Agreement" which are negotiated between employers and employees and are formed on a basis of nation wide laws. Every branche has it's own set of Collective Labour Agreements (CAO's). In the case of this topic that branche would be the "catering sector". Below is the actual Collective Labour Agreement for that branche in english, just to give you a notion of what we find normal here:

    PDF

    It's 89 pages full of binding right and obligations for workers and employers. It's common to have a lot of rights as worker in the EU, even more in the wealthier parts. This section of the world isn't for nothing often highly represented in the "happiest places i/t world" lists. For all these reasons we find the system in the US inhuman.


    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    If you aren't an american, quite frankly, you don't have a valid opinion of this topic. This is a topic for americans TBH since our system is the only one who allows this garbage
    Somebody has to teach you...


    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Inb4 "USA invented restaurant business" argument.
    ;-)

  14. #174
    Moderator Rozz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,783
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Yeah they don’t get it. They are either too young or too entitled. They lack real world experience. In America you tip because it’s how the wait staff eats. I hate the law but it’s IMMORAL to not tip them because of fighting the man. If they were the man, they wouldn’t be waiting tables
    Immoral? Lack real world experience/youth?

    Eh... this is exactly what restaurant owners want you think, so they never have to pay people a decent salary. Plus employees in plenty of places don't make a fuss because they make more off of tips than if they were given minimum wage.

    You tip because it's an exploitative system that potentially benefits the 'guilty' and 'victim' parties more than yourself. You should never see tipping as charity, that just goes to show how terrible the system has become. The more you try and bring ethics and morality into it (when they should have never been on account of the customer), shows you lack perspective yourself.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

  15. #175
    Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    Screwing them out of money? They have no right to your money.
    If you are a selfish entitled brat, then yea, I can see that making sense. But the culture is as it is, and not tipping does nothing but harm the waitstaff that you refused to tip.

  16. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by Moralgy View Post
    You are right, but not tipping is not "fighting the man" or what ever you want to call it, it is simply screwing wait staff out of money. You can fight that issue through legislation if you want, but just flat out not tipping for some ideological reason regarding that issue just harms that employee and does nothing else at all.
    I worked as a bartender for years, managed restaurants for almost a decade and have worked every job in there in one fashion or another. The people that work there just like any job know what they are in for. While it does suck if a server or somebody has to tip out bussers, bartenders, barbacks based on their sales and they don't get tipped, meaning serving a table costs them money, it is all part of the ebb and flow of the job. People aren't required to tip and if they don't want to they shouldn't, having said that I also feel if you don't want to tip don't go out or be as low maintenance as you can be. More often than not though it just comes down to common courtesy and not being a shithead. I have seen people try to pay their entire bill with coupons, appetizer cards or something like that no leave any tips and leave a dirty diaper on the table, some people shouldn't be able to interact with others.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

  17. #177
    Software, I don’t know if you weren’t taught reading comprehension in your homeland but I’ve been open repeatedly that the system blows

    My only point was about the “Americans only” point of view is we’re the only ones who live under this tip system so we are the only ones with a valid opinion on it. We suffer it every time we go out

    Doesn’t mean I was promoting it. If anything be proud your country doesn’t view its labor force as expendable and cheap.

    All that said, I still live here so will be part of the system and will tip when warranted.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    Immoral? Lack real world experience/youth?

    Eh... this is exactly what restaurant owners want you think, so they never have to pay people a decent salary. Plus employees in plenty of places don't make a fuss because they make more off of tips than if they were given minimum wage.

    You tip because it's an exploitative system that potentially benefits the 'guilty' and 'victim' parties more than yourself. You should never see tipping as charity, that just goes to show how terrible the system has become. The more you try and bring ethics and morality into it (when they should have never been on account of the customer), shows you lack perspective yourself.
    All I did was address the reality of it. I’ve been open that it sucks and I dislike it but I also have been a waiter and dealt with no or low tips before. Nothing like working a 12 hour shift for 20 total basically.

    It needs reform but until then I’ll work within the system. Have some empathy and perspective. There’s no ethics other than the customers tipping; other than greed

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    So? My apartment costs like 4300ish to rent, my electricity maybe 160-400 depending on how warm it is. I'll have more than enough money to do what I want to and then Save some for the future.

    Your apartment costs 4300 a month or annually? If it’s annually man does that sound sweet. If it’s monthly, that’s like manhattan prices

  18. #178
    I tip certain pizza delivery drivers, and it's only like $3. I'm only 2 miles away from the store. I almost never tip bartenders. I find it odd. Thanks for pouring my beer, here's additional money for it because it was such a grueling task. Waiters and waitresses will get a tip if the service is absolutely incredible, and they're pleasant to talk to while they're at the table. So its rare. We dont usually tip the cooks or the dude washing dishes, so why tip the last leg of work put into my order? To br fair, I'm extremely low maintenance as a customer. To the point if my order is messed up I dont usually say anything. Because it's usually still pretty tasty either way.

    Heres the deal, I'm not a dick. But where do you draw the line? How many people here tip their FedEx or UPS person? Probably minimal? Is it because UPS drivers make around $40/hr? Thatd be a silly reason not to tip. We dont know each individual employees financial status or personal life in any line of work, regardless if it's a "tipping job" or not. So I guess I'm just not biased. Either tip everything, nothing, or only the exceptional. But dont tip because "it's the thing to do." And certainly dont tip if they add gratuity on your check.
    Last edited by AlphaOut; 2019-05-11 at 01:33 PM.

  19. #179
    Moderator Rozz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,783
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    All I did was address the reality of it. I’ve been open that it sucks and I dislike it but I also have been a waiter and dealt with no or low tips before. Nothing like working a 12 hour shift for 20 total basically.

    It needs reform but until then I’ll work within the system. Have some empathy and perspective. There’s no ethics other than the customers tipping; other than greed
    We can agree that we both think the system is shitty (I also tip btw), but it's because of that I feel tipping shouldn't be a matter of ethics at all. It's really twisted how manipulative it all is
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

  20. #180
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    Immoral? Lack real world experience/youth?

    Eh... this is exactly what restaurant owners want you think, so they never have to pay people a decent salary. Plus employees in plenty of places don't make a fuss because they make more off of tips than if they were given minimum wage.

    You tip because it's an exploitative system that potentially benefits the 'guilty' and 'victim' parties more than yourself. You should never see tipping as charity, that just goes to show how terrible the system has become. The more you try and bring ethics and morality into it (when they should have never been on account of the customer), shows you lack perspective yourself.
    In almost all cases you make way more than minimum wage. If I could put up with working until 3 am I'd be tempted to get some sort of bartending gig again and make my 300 to 1000 dollars a night for 8 hours work. Of course I do also know without working a lot I wouldn't be able to slide back into that sort of payout so the time isn't the only issue. It is very easy to make 150 to 200 bucks a shift as a server though doing little work and not working for very long. Some of the biggest challenges are the constantly changing schedule and never really knowing for sure what you will make. Not being able to take days off sucks too, but plenty of jobs are like that.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •