View Poll Results: What percentage tip am I giving based on the details in the post?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3.32/16.58 = 20%

33 22.76%
  • 3.32/(16.58+1.65) = 18%

7 4.83%
  • 3.32/21.68 = 15%

23 15.86%
  • Other (posted in thread)

82 56.55%
Page 1 of 21
... LastLast

Tipping Pizza Delivery Drivers (and waiters in general)

Do you tip based on the meal base price, or do you tip based on the final amount that includes taxes and other fees like delivery charge?

Say you have the following pizza order:

Subtotal $16.58
    Delivery Fee $3.45
    Estimated Tax $1.65
    Total $21.68

Pizza tipping guides say to tip a minimum of $3 for orders under $20, and a minimum of $5 for orders over $20. Do you consider this an order under $20 or over $20? I would tend to give them $25 in cash, which means a $3.32 tip. Note that the pizza place is two miles away, straight down the road with no special circumstances like rain or snow.

What percentage tip is $3.32 on this order?

A) 3.32/16.58 = 20%
    B) 3.32/(16.58+1.65) = 18%
    C) 3.32/21.68 = 15%

Do you think this technically crosses the $20 barrier to a $5 minimum tip?
    In a regular restaurant, do you tip based on the final bill amount or the pre-tax amount?

Edit: Is $25 in cash for a $21.68 pizza order 2 miles away in nice weather decent?
    Last edited by joebob42; 2019-05-11 at 01:29 AM.

I tip based on the number at the bottom of the receipt, so if that includes tax, then it includes tax.
    "Another turtle made it to the water!" - Turtle-hating psychopath

No, I never tip.

I am Murloc!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I tip based on the number at the bottom of the receipt, so if that includes tax, then it includes tax.
    Same. Though I wish these people got paid enough where I didn't have to.

Final bill. Taxes are usually included. But that's just how it works in New York. If we ever get to a point where waiters and such get pay more in line to other places, tipping could finally go out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    No, I never tip.
    You must be a millennial....selfishness is the trait millennials will forever be known for in history

Quote Originally Posted by Dethxx View Post
    You must be a millennial....selfishness is the trait millennials will forever be known for in history
    If by millennial you mean born 2000.

Any other words of wisdom Gramps before you go out to the porch to yell at the kids from your rocking chair?

Preach brother! Not tipping was invented in the last 15 years by millennials.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Any other words of wisdom Gramps before you go out to the porch to yell at the kids from your rocking chair?
    The only reason you’d get upset when I wasn’t talking to you is because I hit a little too close to home for you

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    Final bill. Taxes are usually included. But that's just how it works in New York. If we ever get to a point where waiters and such get pay more in line to other places, tipping could finally go out the window.
    Well, I guess I'm more focused on the special case of the delivery charge for pizza here. I chose B because I included the tax in my tipping calculation. I just feel like giving a tip on some BS delivery charge is stupid. I always give a minimum of 15% of the amount that doesn't include the delivery fee or $3 + change (whichever is higher).

Obviously, it depends on a lot of things: how quickly it got here, does the pizza box feel piping hot, and I always look at my pizza before I tip as well to make sure the pie survived the trip. If all things turned out well, I tip 20%, but I'll reduce if the above conditions are not met; unless the delivery kid is a major asshole, then he gets 50 cents no matter the cost.

Never tipping is a major fucking scumbag move. If you don't tip, don't eat out. Anyone that doesn't should be ashamed of themselves. (Unless you live in a culture where tipping does not exist.)

Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    If by millennial you mean born 2000.
    If you were born in year 2000, then every negative connotation and aspect associated with “millennials” is 10x worse with your generation. If that is even a separate tier of millennials.

Quote Originally Posted by FaceYourself View Post
    If you were born in year 2000, then every negative connotation and aspect associated with “millennials” is 10x worse with your generation. If that is even a separate tier of millennials.
    Man, and I thought being a Gen Xer sucked.

The only reason you’d get upset when I wasn’t talking to you is because I hit a little too close to home for you������
    Upset? Rolled my eyes and made a sarcastic comment is all I did.

3$ if it is a simple pizza order.
    5$ if we order for a larger group, or get a lot of different things that can complicate the actual delivery.

For delivery I never base it on actual cost.

And hating tipping isn't some selfish millennial thing. It's a stupid American custom used to screw people out of an honest wage.

Things are so slow we really needed another tipping thread to watch the cat fights?
    "No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N
    Wtf? No weapons? xD What is this? Restricted training environment?
    Commenting on "anything goes" for martial arts and self defense

Tipping isn't being selfless, it is just feeding into restaurants paying their employees less than the minimum wage.

If a restaurant allows tipping, it is a shitty restaurant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

21.68 - 20% = 4.336

Tip $4.34 or if you want to round $4.00, if the foods hot and fast give them the extra buck $5.00 That's what I would do.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Well, I guess I'm more focused on the special case of the delivery charge for pizza here. I chose B because I included the tax in my tipping calculation. I just feel like giving a tip on some BS delivery charge is stupid. I always give a minimum of 15% of the amount that doesn't include the delivery fee or $3 + change (whichever is higher).
    That, well. I generally tip them depending on the size, how long it takes any other factors that might come to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Tipping isn't being selfless, it is just feeding into restaurants paying their employees less than the minimum wage.

If a restaurant allows tipping, it is a shitty restaurant.
    I'll agree to that. Unfortunately, it's not something I can change. So for now, tipping is how it's done.