View Poll Results: What percentage tip am I giving based on the details in the post?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3.32/16.58 = 20%

33 22.76%
  • 3.32/(16.58+1.65) = 18%

7 4.83%
  • 3.32/21.68 = 15%

23 15.86%
  • Other (posted in thread)

82 56.55%
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Why is it my responsibility to make sure employees at Domino's make a living wage?
    Why is it anyone's responsibility to give a shit what kind of service you get spit or something else. It's all about you right?

I'm not fucking anybody over you are if anything for encouraging companies to pay waiters/drivers pennies since you Will pick up their slack.
    Nope because I tip, I donate to campaigns to change the laws, I vote, I talk to my neighbors and get involved locally.

I used to own a sports bar back in the day and I paid all my bartenders and waiters the actual min wage Of $8 something, instead of the "min wage with tips" which was like $2 an hour. And it wasn't like my bar was a fortune 500 company I don't wanna hear that shit that they can't afford to pay their employees properly
    Do you want a cookie, you should pay your employees a livable wage if you can, you aren't suddenly mother Teresa

And lol at not spitting in my food is "going out of your way" ffs guy.
    Once again, I didn't and don't spit in anyone's food, nor have i endorsed that, but your finger waging, and thinking everyone should give a shit about your plight when you make the choice to say "Fuck leaving a tip"

This whole bullshit behind a single movie scene is absurd, if you want to get waiters paid more, DO something about it, don't fuck over some guy or gal who's literal life depends on tips.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    don't fuck over some guy or gal who's literal life depends on tips.
    This is the main argument I see from people who are pro tipping and honestly it's awful. Why the fuck should you hold someone emotionally hostage just because the restaurant wont pay it's employees properly. Making someone feel bad over this as though it's their fault is fucked up. It's not the customers responsibility to pick up the slack on underpaid wages and should not be held accountable like that regardless of how much the employee may depend upon it.

I'm so glad my country has national living wage laws because the whole tipping culture in NA is fucked.

I've only ever tipped once or twice in my entire life in my country and that was as a gift because somebody did an amazing job for me (tattoo), not because they performed the job that was expected of them in the first place with a forced "have a nice day sir".
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    This is the main argument I see from people who are pro tipping and honestly it's awful. Why the fuck should you hold someone emotionally hostage just because the restaurant wont pay it's employees properly. Making someone feel bad over this as though it's their fault is fucked up. It's not the customers responsibility to pick up the slack on underpaid wages and should not be held accountable like that regardless of how much the employee may depend upon it.

I'm so glad my country has national living wage laws because the whole tipping culture in NA is fucked.

I've only ever tipped once or twice in my entire life in my country and that was as a gift because somebody did an amazing job for me (tattoo), not because they performed the job that was expected of them in the first place with a forced "have a nice day sir".
    They will never understand, they think they are helping the situation and are blinding by that thought, and his argument is largely nonsensical.

As I stated earlier, I have zero issue giving somebody a tip if they did something special or extra to earn that tip, but I'm not going to tip you for just doing your job, that's why you get a paycheck. If people take issue with the amount delivery people get paid they need to take it up with their employers, not the fuggin' customer what kind of retarded logic is that even?

"Hey my buddy only gets paid minimum wage at Best Buy so I punched a guy that bought a TV from Best Buy the other day to get even"
    Last edited by matheney2k; 2019-05-12 at 07:53 AM.

This is the main argument I see from people who are pro tipping and honestly it's awful. Why the fuck should you hold someone emotionally hostage just because the restaurant wont pay it's employees properly.
    Because you aren't a robot, that person getting a shit pay has about as much power as you do, you decided to buy whatever product, if you have a problem with that, then take it up with the government or business that allows for it.

Making someone feel bad over this as though it's their fault is fucked up.
    Nobody is made to do anything plenty of people posted already they don't give a shit, well then ok don't. But don't pretend you are a victim

It's not the customers responsibility to pick up the slack on underpaid wages and should not be held accountable like that regardless of how much the employee may depend upon it.
    Right it's not your responsibility either as a customer or a human being, I guess, but pretending you don't see a problem doesn't make it go away

Well I wouldn't want to live anywhere that a communities priorities are so fucking far out of wack they no longer give a shit about others, yet want everyone to drop whatever they are doing to cater to them.

So you basically got something more than you expected, so you felt that the tattoo artist was worthy but fuck everyone else?

Well Ok

- - - Updated - - -

They will never understand, they think they are helping the situation and are blinding by that thought, and his argument is largely nonsensical.

As I stated earlier, I have zero issue giving somebody a tip if they did something special or extra to earn that tip, but I'm not going to tip you for just doing your job, that's why you get a paycheck.
    No, I am addressing the issue on both fronts, I pay people for services where a tip is expected, AND, AND I don't vote for, support or give backing to any dickheads such as business's or politicians who support these fucked up systems.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

No, I am addressing the issue on both fronts, I pay people for services where a tip is expected, AND, AND I don't vote for, support or give backing to any dickheads such as business's or politicians who support these fucked up systems.
    See the fact that you think that there are ''2 fronts'' is a testament to how fk'd up our line of thinking has become where we feel responsibility to pick up the slack for these companies and make sure employees are being paid fairly at their place of employment. Why is that okay?

You want to change the law to help support the employees on this matter? More power to ya man go fight you have my full support! But don't throw shade at me because I refuse to be manipulated by a corrupt system where I am expected to pay extra for delivery (that doesn't even go to the driver) and then pay extra again?

I mostly don't order delivery to avoid the situation altogether though if I'm being honest.

It's not a custom in England as far as I'm aware here in Norway as you already pay taxes on what you're purchasing, so it's definitely an american thing so the restaurant can screw over it's employee and customer base abit more.

See the fact that you think that there are ''2 fronts'' is a testament to how fk'd up our line of thinking has become where we feel responsibility to pick up the slack for these companies and make sure employees are being paid fairly at their place of employment. Why is that okay?

You want to change the law to help support the employees on this matter? More power to ya man go fight you have my full support! But don't throw shade at me because I refuse to be manipulated by a corrupt system where I am expected to pay extra for delivery (that doesn't even go to the driver) and then pay extra again?

I mostly don't order delivery to avoid the situation altogether though if I'm being honest.
    You’re not doing anything but being a cheap ass which I’m with you 100%. But man don’t do that man don’t make the most vulnerable easiest to abuse the ones responsible for it.

Speak the fuck up with these people not for them. You said you used to own a bar awesome dude. But you can fight battles on more than one front.

I’m not shaming or shading anyone but even by your own admission you should fight on more than one front not because it’s your responsibility it’s because you can take the hits.

Some dude that’s just barely hanging on who doesn’t spit in food. Who would likely report the asshole who did that. Yeah fight for that guy cause you can.

Some dude that’s just barely hanging on who doesn’t spit in food. Who would likely report the asshole who did that. Yeah fight for that guy cause you can.
    And how do you suggest we fight for that guy? What do you recommend happens?

@Lemonpartyfan To sum up your points, you don't have any actual evidence or studies and I'm just supposed to accept your account of what you "know". Right, got it. I think that when considering a problem that goes across the country and encompasses a range of settings, I'll opt for a wider statistical view. Enjoy your day.
    "No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N
    Wtf? No weapons? xD What is this? Restricted training environment?
    Commenting on "anything goes" for martial arts and self defense

And how do you suggest we fight for that guy? What do you recommend happens?
    You're already doing it, unless I misread what you said about your past. You paid people a decent fucking wage, YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO, but you did it, because obviously you are decent fucking human being. That's admirable, especially for being a penny pincer.

But you are smart, you have an education, you know where things come from, and you also know where things land, even where they aren't supposed to.

In the lap of some poor son of a bitch, who's working a job getting a shitty job because they literally have NO POWER or not as much ability to say, we should be taking care of the people that take care of us.

In my view, when I got to a restaurant, or a club and I have NOTHING to think about, nothing to worry about because everything went smoothly. I tip, nobody has to jump through flaming hoops, or treat me like I am special.

I just need to be able to do what I want to do, and have a good time, and not have to worry about the shit everyone servicing me does. I appreciate them. That's why I tip.

I'm usually a generous tipper because I can afford it and it can make a huge difference for someone going to college while working a delivery job. I agree though that tipping is a malicious practice to avoid paying real wages but you need laws for that, not screwing a poor college kid out of their dinner

No, tips shouldn't exist for just serving you.
    Tipping = corruption, it's like bribing your doctor to do his job. Which he's being paid for anyway.
    If a waiter, server, driver, whatever else aren't happy with their wages, it's THEIR responsibility to ask for more from their employer OR find another job.

Originally tipping appeared so you could get a table or a better seat at a busy and fancy restaurant, but then I suppose everyone else wanted in on the scam.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

The funny part is if they paid these people appropriately the cost would simply be tacked on to your bill in some fashion. Likely as a higher increase than the tip alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    100:1 odds that he wont
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Okay. I'll stop sharing my views.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @Lemonpartyfan To sum up your points, you don't have any actual evidence or studies and I'm just supposed to accept your account of what you "know". Right, got it. I think that when considering a problem that goes across the country and encompasses a range of settings, I'll opt for a wider statistical view. Enjoy your day.
    Evidence what are you Katie Couric, you fact check all these sources, and sources for your sources. I am not even reading all of your post, but the parts I have skimmed by do seem caulked full of bullshit. No Offense taken again I skimmed them.

But tipping and money aren't incentives or the best incentives. HAHAHA ok based on what, who's value system are we talking about going in to whatever study.

See because the fact you cite a source, and use a study, that isn't the beginning and end. Unless it's your individual study, or the information therein happens to be widely popular and common knowledge.

And I guarantee it isn't if you ask any adult human being if MONEY (Tips) or not are incentive most will probably look at you as if you are from Mars.

Now yes of course some might not say money is an incentive, but I can assure you with NO STUDY of my own the people saying that are widely coming from a different perspective than most of those not saying that.

Although I will agree that the overall truth is that whenever people have what they need, and feel more secure, MONEY DOES become less of a priority, but when you don't make enough to even eat, and what you make tips included are the difference between life or death, Then yeah, I am going to have to say this is one of those issues I am going to completely disagree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    No, tips shouldn't exist for just serving you.
    Tipping = corruption, it's like bribing your doctor to do his job. Which he's being paid for anyway.
    If a waiter, server, driver, whatever else aren't happy with their wages, it's THEIR responsibility to ask for more from their employer OR find another job.

Originally tipping appeared so you could get a table or a better seat at a busy and fancy restaurant, but then I suppose everyone else wanted in on the scam.
    Which is exactly what happens with health insurance. And by the way if Doctors were did what most Executives and CEO's in the corporate world did, based on the level of skill set, the entire world would have a lot more to bitch about than the price of Avocados.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The funny part is if they paid these people appropriately the cost would simply be tacked on to your bill in some fashion. Likely as a higher increase than the tip alone.
    Yeah, but that is also why you have to have knowledge about the places you go, and business's you frequent. For example I go to Costco, when I need 100lbs or Ketchup or whatever the fuck

But honestly aside from the great savings I get when I use my membership, Costco is one of the great business's that I know pays their employees a decent wage.

However Jimmy Johns on the Other hand Love their Subs, but I refuse to buy from them based on their disgusting wage practices, and more importantly their tactics for cutting corners and pushing generally high school age kids into very dangerous driving conditions all in order to live up to this crazy fast Delivery concept (Which they are by the way)

I mean I know we are talking about tipping, but it's more than just about tipping, but like tipping knowing what goes with the people that serve your community is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Riversong View Post
    It's not a custom in England as far as I'm aware here in Norway as you already pay taxes on what you're purchasing, so it's definitely an american thing so the restaurant can screw over it's employee and customer base abit more.
    The employees are definitely not being screwed over. Waitresses make a ton of money in america. If you are pretty and nice and attentive you make more money as a waitress than everyone else there except the owners and sometimes managers. The reason we allow them to be paid below minimum wage is because they make so much money, not because they are being exploited. It may not be a perfect system and sometimes wait staff get screwed over but overall there is a good reason for this.

The funny thing is that it began as a custom in britain, not america. The british aristocracy used to essentially be expected to pay serving staff extra because they were so rich. Americans started doing it as kind of a joke to be like, "Oh look how posh and aristocratic I am, I tip the servants." Then it spread because people didn't want to seem low class by not tipping. Basically tipping in america was more about personal appearances rather than serving staff being taken advantage of or something. And in fact many thought it was a negative thing because it made the serving staff seem to be inferior which is antithetical to the idea of the US being about freedom and equality while the rest of the world was still heavily classist.

Brewmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    One of the first lines of the article is

Studies have shown that tipping is not an effective incentive for performance in servers
    yet it then says

It also creates an environment in which people of color, young people, old people, women, and foreigners tend to get worse service than white males.
    How are tips NOT an effective incentive, if they also give better tippers better service? That makes no sense. The reason behind "white males" line is because young white men generally tip better, but if tipping isn't a performance incentive, then why would white men be getting a larger share of the better attention? That is a contradictory idea.

The article addresses it, by saying exactly what I said, in a roundabout way, further down the article. If you are being paid improperly, take it up with your boss. If they won't do anything about it, report them. Just because they are breaking the law by NOT making up the difference after tips, they are doing something illegal. The argument made by the article in this regard isn't a good one.

Beyond that, the national average for wait staff is well above the federal minimum wage, and arguably I don't think it should be. Fast food workers don't get tips but they still deal with customers, in addition to cleaning up shit and barf in the bathrooms.

Even further beyond THAT, as someone who has worked multiple job that receive tips in my life, many employers don't even require you to report tips, so that average is lower than it should be. And if there were some great conspiracy by fast food management, looking at their books would be easy to see.

The section of the article you pasted in response to me is essentially just a "nuh uhn!" to that committee? Okay? If people are violating that law, report them. It gives an 84% rate, but what percent of those affected are reporting it? Close to zero? Okay?

I live in a city with a low cost of living. I know multiple servers that make 25$ an hour at their restaurant job, I'm sorry, anyone who says they only made 2.13 on their check isn't being honest, or is doing something wrong. They would have had to sign a contract to give the company all tips, and sign away their "right" to a minimum wage, which still wouldn't be legal. I worked in a restaurant, as well as had a job delivering pizzas, and my experience does not reflect the "2.13 only" bullshit either. On some nights I would work 6 hours and leave the store with 150 in tips. That would be 150 Friday, 150 Saturday, 150 Sunday, in addition to a gas stipend, and the minimum wage, in addition to free food. Most of the people I talk to about this now don't want tips to go away, they would make less money, they think. This includes someone who has worked at a "tipless" establishment.
    You're missing the main point the article is making. You see "servers act better towards particular group in hopes of tips" and think that equals "better service means better tips".
    When it's more that servers profile, and act after that. If they see a group of obviously buisness people out, they'll get more attention than the young twenty something couple out on a date. The servers won't act good as a default and hope from a small bit extra in every place. Instead they'll just go after their industries whales hoping for a big catch. (All the while assuming everyone will tip them).

The point is that how set up is tipping doesn't insentivice good service. It insentivies sucking up targeted groups of costumers who are assumed to tip more for various reasons (false or true reasons does not matter). Which is the opposite of the point behind that tipping is a mark of good service. It's just that good tips just shows you were lucky with who showed up to your tables that one evening.
    Instead of as in Sweden, where tipping is not a thing expected but a bonus for a good experience. Do servers still fish for tips from companies that are likely to tip more? (A larger group of people out are for example practically always more likely to tip well in Sweden than a smaller group). Yeah, absolutely they to some degree do. But they don't give worse service to anyone to ensure good service to the first group.

The point what you quoted was that the behaviour isn't tips affecting service. It's service affecting projected tips.
    - Lars

tipping is the biggest bullshit ever ..... yes i want to pay an extra 10-20% so someone has a liveable income? ... i mean what kinda business needs to actually pay their staff a proper wadge when people will give 10-20% extra for no reason

I generally tip 25-30%, regardless of the intended rate. I've gone lower when service was absolutely terrible, as tips are usually associated with service-related industries.

While I don't necessarily like tipping as a requirement in a vacuum, it's partially a hold-over and partially because service jobs that "require" tips are generally super easy that anyone could technically do it. Doing something and doing something well are two completely separate things, however. In general, a job that anyone/everyone can do will and should have a low wage. The inherent problem with static/mandated wages is that there's generally no way to reward people who do better, and tipping is one way to alleviate that. The level/quality of the service that is expected from the job will shoot the tips much higher... it's the difference between the service you expect from a McDonald's and a 5-star restaurant. I even know a waitress who gets on average $1000 in tips/week working just the weekends, while her coworkers make less due to offering a lower standard of service.

The problem is if you remove tipping outright and change nothing else, you lower the potential income of a service industry employee if they do well. This is a nice way of saying you remove the incentive to go above and beyond the status quo of your environment. Also, this is why mandated minimum wages are bad (among other things), as your employee base will gravitate towards the bare minimum requirements. This concept was actually attempted in Massachusetts when the first colonists came over, where everything was to be shared and distributed equally regardless of individual efforts... and it lead to massive drops in productivity due to people wanting compensation equal to their efforts that nearly wiped out the colony. When it changed things up and moved towards people owning what they produced and receiving proper compensation for their individual efforts, the colony thrived. This point is this: while I think the tipping system is kind of silly by itself, the function it's supposed to serve is very important. If you want to get rid of tipping in a service industry, I'd believe the proper replacement would by dynamic wages based upon the efforts of the individuals, not the one-size-fits-all wage that removes any impetus to prove great service.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

I always tip 15%. Restaurants don't always pay minimum wage. I want the people who work in restaurants to have a livable wage. It should feel like a moral obligation. That being said, the mentality of restaurant owners and managers is terrible and it should be illegal to pay under minimum wage. Tipping is ridiculous and it shouldn't be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by dippinsawse View Post
    The employees are definitely not being screwed over. Waitresses make a ton of money in america. If you are pretty and nice and attentive you make more money as a waitress than everyone else there except the owners and sometimes managers. The reason we allow them to be paid below minimum wage is because they make so much money, not because they are being exploited. It may not be a perfect system and sometimes wait staff get screwed over but overall there is a good reason for this.
    Mileage varies among servers, but it is definitely true that many if not a majority would protest switching to a straight hourly wage. I made a bit over $25 an hour (total compensation) last night, and it was a very sub-par night. Does anyone think servers in casual dining would get more than $25/hour if we abandoned tipping and just paid an hourly wage? I don't think it's likely. Plenty of servers would see a steep drop in income, especially since the hours available to you as a server aren't 'full time' for most of a restaurant's waitstaff.
    "As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    -H.L. Mencken, 1920