View Poll Results: What percentage tip am I giving based on the details in the post?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3.32/16.58 = 20%

    33 22.76%
  • 3.32/(16.58+1.65) = 18%

    7 4.83%
  • 3.32/21.68 = 15%

    23 15.86%
  • Other (posted in thread)

    82 56.55%
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ...
9
17
18
19
20
21
LastLast
  1. #361
    The Lightbringer Perkunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kazakhstan(not true)
    Posts
    3,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    No, I never tip.
    You live in Europe. In America we don't pay waiters, delivery drivers, or bartenders livable wages and in many cases it's actually under Federal minimum. The industry claims you get better service and cheaper prices on the food.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

  2. #362
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    30,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethxx View Post
    You must be a millennial....selfishness is the trait millennials will forever be known for in history
    Or, you know, living in a country where it isn't really needed because they salery should cover enough.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    You live in Europe. In America we don't pay waiters, delivery drivers, or bartenders livable wages and in many cases it's actually under Federal minimum. The industry claims you get better service and cheaper prices on the food.
    Aye, it is sad..
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    Roses are red, mana is blue. Suramar Guards, Will always find you!

  3. #363
    Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    Preach brother! Not tipping was invented in the last 15 years by millennials.
    Back in my generation no one never didn't tip!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    You live in Europe. In America we don't pay waiters, delivery drivers, or bartenders livable wages and in many cases it's actually under Federal minimum. The industry claims you get better service and cheaper prices on the food.
    Better service? Sometimes, but typically only at upscale restaurants where you would likely get better service anyway.
    Cheaper Food? Nope

    A lot of folks in the service industry don't under the concept of providing better service to entice the patrons to give a better tip...
    and a lot of patrons, who are getting served, don't understand the concept of giving better tips when they receive superior service...
    so at this point the whole thing is mostly broken.

    "Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

  4. #364
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Do you tip based on the meal base price, or do you tip based on the final amount that includes taxes and other fees like delivery charge?

    Say you have the following pizza order:

    Subtotal $16.58
    Delivery Fee $3.45
    Estimated Tax $1.65
    Total $21.68

    Pizza tipping guides say to tip a minimum of $3 for orders under $20, and a minimum of $5 for orders over $20. Do you consider this an order under $20 or over $20? I would tend to give them $25 in cash, which means a $3.32 tip. Note that the pizza place is two miles away, straight down the road with no special circumstances like rain or snow.

    What percentage tip is $3.32 on this order?

    A) 3.32/16.58 = 20%
    B) 3.32/(16.58+1.65) = 18%
    C) 3.32/21.68 = 15%


    Do you think this technically crosses the $20 barrier to a $5 minimum tip?
    In a regular restaurant, do you tip based on the final bill amount or the pre-tax amount?

    Edit: Is $25 in cash for a $21.68 pizza order 2 miles away in nice weather decent?
    If I do tip, I tip based on the nearest round figure. I'm not in math class, I don't care about the exact percentages, including or excluding tax and delivery, etc. If it's 22 I'd give 25, if it's 27 I give 30, etc.

    In the end, I don't tip because I live in a country where people get a decent wage and don't have to live of tips.

  5. #365
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post

    Exhibit A, ladies and gentlemen. Leading back to one of the article's points:
    Your quote makes it sound like businesses tell women to flop their tits out for tips but that doesn't even make sense. The business doesn't get that tip money. They only benefit from how it attracts more business to have a server that are pleasant to be around either through looks or behavior. Either way that's not really how it is. Waitresses aren't acting like they want to suck your dick when they hand you your chicken tenders. They just smile and act friendly. Nothing more is required. People just like being treated well by attractive people and it feels good to act generous. They are just more likely to want to impress someone they are attracted to by tipping more.

  6. #366
    Never tip as I live in a first world country where waiters dont live on slave wages where the employer outsources paychecks to having the customers pay them. Maaaybe in a restaurant if someone goes out of their way to cater to us, but only then as a small bonus. Not as something that is expected.

  7. #367
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    That's exactly my point lol. The delivery drivers almost always use their own vehicles to make deliveries, yet the company has the balls to charge me extra fee for delivery, while also not giving that money to the driver? And you want to reinforce this sort of behavior and line of thinking? Get off my back guy. Blame Papa John's not me, some random guy that doesn't care much for paying your employees what you should be.
    Your post = "I don't care if I fuck someone else over." Got it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    This is the main argument I see from people who are pro tipping and honestly it's awful. Why the fuck should you hold someone emotionally hostage just because the restaurant wont pay it's employees properly. Making someone feel bad over this as though it's their fault is fucked up. It's not the customers responsibility to pick up the slack on underpaid wages and should not be held accountable like that regardless of how much the employee may depend upon it.

    I'm so glad my country has national living wage laws because the whole tipping culture in NA is fucked.

    I've only ever tipped once or twice in my entire life in my country and that was as a gift because somebody did an amazing job for me (tattoo), not because they performed the job that was expected of them in the first place with a forced "have a nice day sir".
    You are really misconstruing how ... life? works? You aren't being held hostage. But if we abolished tipping (woohoo?) restaurants would raise prices ... guess what? Close to around what you would be paying if you were simply tipping.. People here act as if they are being expected to pay more than that? How? Where do people get this idea? You are effecting being a cheapskate because a loophole exists that allows it. Good for you I guess?

  8. #368
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethxx View Post
    You must be a millennial....selfishness is the trait millennials will forever be known for in history
    You a boomer? You will go down in history as the generation that fucked the earth, so there's that.

  9. #369
    Scarab Lord bungeebungee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dongbei, PRC
    Posts
    4,778
    Quote Originally Posted by dippinsawse
    Your quote makes it sound like businesses tell women to flop their tits out for tips
    Because scantily clad waitresses were never a thing, right? I don't know, is Hooters still in business?

    Referring back to your post that I quoted, then what difference does it make if a waitress is pretty (and that was the first factor you listed)?

    Going back to the article:
    For our most recent report, which came out in 2014, we asked hundreds of restaurant workers to answer this question: ‘Have you experienced sexual behavior in the restaurant industry that is scary or unwanted?’ And 90 percent of workers, both male and female, said yes.

    More broadly, the data show that the restaurant industry has the highest rate of sexual harassment of any industry in the United States. It’s actually five times the rate of all other industries. Seven percent of American women work in restaurants, but thirty percent of sexual harassment complaints from women come from the restaurant industry. It's the single largest source of sexual harassment complaints of any industry in the United States.

    Our research shows that all of that sexual harassment—from customers, coworkers, and management—can be traced back to this whole culture of forcing women to make their income based on pleasing the customer.
    Now, go back and read your last line again:
    Quote Originally Posted by dippinsawse
    They are just more likely to want to impress someone they are attracted to by tipping more.
    That has nothing to do with how well she does her job, but it does go to those harassment statistics.
    "No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

    Quote Originally Posted by Katie N
    Wtf? No weapons? xD What is this? Restricted training environment?
    Commenting on "anything goes" for martial arts and self defense

  10. #370
    Immortal matheney2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    South of the Border
    Posts
    7,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Your post = "I don't care if I fuck someone else over." Got it.
    Nope you don't got it, but if that is the limit of your reading comprehension skills then we have nothing further to discuss really. I care little to play the game where you twist what I'm saying so you can argue with yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Klling a new born is not much morally different than a late term abortion. Should be avoided, but it's not like it is an actual person yet.

  11. #371
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    452
    I used to tip the Domino's pizza delivery guy until i realized the tip was already factored into my bill.. - i doubt it goes directly to the driver, but - i guess that's not my problem.. its not like hes done SOOOOO good at getting the pizza to its destination that i should tip him and the company, unless maybe its a blizzard out in which case i would most likely not even place order for delivery...
    "We will not compromise our standards to release a title before it is ready."
    WoW T.W.O ( The Wars Over )

  12. #372
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    You live in Europe. In America we don't pay waiters, delivery drivers, or bartenders livable wages and in many cases it's actually under Federal minimum. The industry claims you get better service and cheaper prices on the food.
    I've always been curious about that. How much does it cost for an average single course meal at an average restaurant in NA if you don't include the tip? I want to compare to here where tipping isn't a thing at all. I'm wondering how American restaurants even go out of business if they barely pay their support staff.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    You are really misconstruing how ... life? works? You aren't being held hostage. But if we abolished tipping (woohoo?) restaurants would raise prices ... guess what? Close to around what you would be paying if you were simply tipping.. People here act as if they are being expected to pay more than that? How? Where do people get this idea? You are effecting being a cheapskate because a loophole exists that allows it. Good for you I guess?
    Just in case the other guy doesn't tell me, you can as well I guess, since that is your argument. I'd like to compare the prices of average meals at average restaurants not including tip between our countries.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

  13. #373
    The Undying Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    37,410
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Let me turn that around, did you?
    Hahaha not how that works guy, but at least you acknowledge you never had anything in the chamber when you fired that salvo of nonsense in the first place. Only I just "The Hunt for Red Octobered" that shit like Sean Connery and went full speed ahead into your nothing missile before it had a chance to arm.


    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Feel free to hit Google and prove me wrong, I'm doing my research from behind the Great Firewall and I'm stuck using Bing.
    Alright well I will give you some credit you aren't one of those people I have seen thus far who likes to lay out bullshit studies incorrectly intentionally. In FACT of all the people on these boards there are 4 people who when claiming a studied or source to back their claim actually always come with the goods 100% of the time, 2 I typically agree with 2 I don't. Most aside from you are typically full well knowing they are full of shit.

    That being said, even those that do site accurate information, never once have they tried to come across as it being something it isn't and as correct as they are NOBODY, and I mean Nobody comes away with "Oh, Well you were right" they always dig in deeper or attack the information.

    The point is any time people do what you do here now it's just a tactic for a disingenuous debate, the purpose is simply to try to take credit or claim the I WIN, when typically the source being fed is bullshit misapplied and isn't their argument, either the person they are citing or the person trying to take credit for it HERE.

    So Katie Unless you did the actual study, then save it, this isn't NEWS HOUR

    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    It is possible that this article and its statistics are an anomaly and that Google would return five times as many results with contrary evidence -- but I can't address that unless somebody actually pulls it together enough to show me some contrary sources. That's part of debate and an exchange of ideas, not the Trump model of repeating opinions louder and more often as seems to be the current trend.
    This is called strafing. Google can return a lot of things, it all depends on what you put in it, and again read what I said above Unless you're Katie Couric stop IT!

    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    A broken clock is right twice a day. It doesn't mean that the clock works.
    Hahaha that's funny, because it's generally true, unlike most of what you responded to me about Tipping. This isn't and argument though, and it has nothing to do with anything else you have said.

    If the broken clock is me, well at least that makes me half as right as you even in your own mind.



    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Look back through the thread and notice that among those defending tipping we have one group talking about how servers are barely making it and need the tips while right along side them are posts talking about how servers are raking it in and don't want to give up a lucrative model. In fact, statistics are like that and there are some who fall into each group, but without studies and information we have no real idea how this applies across the spectrum.
    Well no Bungeebungee, now there is where we are going to disagree, we have a lot of people arguing for and against tipping Many with good arguments on both sides.

    Me I am generally, saying most of them are bad arguments, including yours from what I read. Yes some people who work in service who rely on tips don't want to give up a lucrative model, because yes it does work, the problem though is these people are still paid like shit, so if customers don't hold up their end of the agreements they are going to get fucked from both ends.

    Business that doesn't want to pay them and Customers that don't either


    Again there is an argument I disagree with does make sense about those who make a livable wage and go by tips anyways, but that isn't your argument.


    Near as I can tell you are prattling off the same opinion everyone else does by trying to put the study cherry on top of this nonsense sundae with well money really much of an incentive, then trying to throw in segments of racism typically known for in certain countries among tippers, and something something people don't really work for money blah blah blah.


    No, you're wrong, and in places especially like the U.S where people count on their tips to make a living it's a shitty thing to do not to, because you don't believe in these prices.

    If you know what is going on and especially know who it, hurts, then you are just as bad as anyone involved in it, only you are making the choice to be lazy and shitty to the one person you can take it out on.

    It's a shitty thing to do period.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Because scantily clad waitresses were never a thing, right? I don't know, is Hooters still in business?

    Referring back to your post that I quoted, then what difference does it make if a waitress is pretty (and that was the first factor you listed)?
    You stop this, YOU STOP THIS RIGHT NOW! You don't need to bad mouth Hooters girls. You keep this up nobody is going to get overly slathered wings from one of the few family friendly establishments around.

    Next thing you know people will be reduced to having to go to the tilted kilt or twin peaks. And they don't even have $4 All you can eat Mozzarella Sticks before 5pm



    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Going back to the article:
    Enough of YOUR article, I say YOUR at this point because really that is the only argument you seem to be on about.


    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Now, go back and read your last line again:


    That has nothing to do with how well she does her job, but it does go to those harassment statistics.
    Noo it has shit to do with what we are talking about. We are talking about tipping Pizza Delivery Drivers and Waiters in General, albeit from obviously a U.S perspective.


    Sexual harassment is shitty, as are some of the shitty tactics owners use to get staff to increase business and get their patrons to pay more money on everything including tips for which even some business tries to cut into that also.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2019-05-12 at 03:57 PM.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  14. #374
    I don't tip. It's stupid and manipulating. Why would I be stupid to pay 20$ for something that has market value of 15$? I made an agreement with a restaurant by paying 15$ for whatever I ordered that it will be delivered to me for that price which also ALREADY includes "delivery tax". If enough people do what I do the tipping culture crap will be gone and businesses will adjust to that.

  15. #375
    Quote Originally Posted by Einsz View Post
    I don't tip. It's stupid and manipulating. Why would I be stupid to pay 20$ for something that has market value of 15$? I made an agreement with a restaurant by paying 15$ for whatever I ordered that it will be delivered to me for that price which also ALREADY includes "delivery tax". If enough people do what I do the tipping culture crap will be gone and businesses will adjust to that.
    I love that instead of voting you're advocating for harming the people bringing you your food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Got to earn his turnips.
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Okay. I'll stop sharing my views.

  16. #376
    10% is my usual tip.
    (not when the bill already includes DELIVERY TAX, though).
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

  17. #377
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethxx View Post
    You must be a millennial....selfishness is the trait millennials will forever be known for in history
    Oh shush, and stop parroting every bit of nonsense you read.


    I personally tip 10%, is more than fair, especially as I live in a country where tipping isn't even expected in most cases.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    You live in Europe. In America we don't pay waiters, delivery drivers, or bartenders livable wages and in many cases it's actually under Federal minimum. The industry claims you get better service and cheaper prices on the food.
    Industries seem to claim a lot, but rarely deliver a fraction of what they promise.

    Unless it is to shareholders of course. All hail the Quarterly review!

  18. #378
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I love that instead of voting you're advocating for harming the people bringing you your food.
    Jobs are voluntary and they agreed to do it at a wage when they were hired. Anything extra is just a bonus, and should never be expected. Personally, I only tip out of convenience to me - if my meal costs $17 for example, I'll give a $20 and call it a day, because I don't feel like being bothered with change, and it's much easier to track my spending in even intervals.

  19. #379
    Quote Originally Posted by Aflakk47 View Post
    Jobs are voluntary and they agreed to do it at a wage when they were hired. Anything extra is just a bonus, and should never be expected. Personally, I only tip out of convenience to me - if my meal costs $17 for example, I'll give a $20 and call it a day, because I don't feel like being bothered with change, and it's much easier to track my spending in even intervals.
    Your grasp of how American society works is pretty flimsy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Got to earn his turnips.
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Okay. I'll stop sharing my views.

  20. #380
    Warchief Deldavala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    2,107
    Cant remember last time I actually gave a delivery guy any money at all. Most deliveries is payed upfront atleast in the places I frequent.

    Regarding tipping, I usually dont tip unless its something extraordinary, but that also comes down to what country I am in.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •