10+ Year Old Account

Rift EU Cluster Merge

The move to Google Cloud Platform should have given a hint this was going to happen, plus as the game logs people into the 'shard of the day' anyway, makes no difference. EU will be losing three shards, Bloodiron (PvP), Gelidra and Zaviel, these will be merged into Typhiria (PvE), the German shard Brutwacht and French shard Brisesol remain the same.

Only problem will be possible name clashes, who gets to keep the char name if two or more have the same, lots of alts on the shards getting merged, less shards to hop around for Zone Events, chasing artifacts etc.

EU Live Shard merges

With the recent transition to the Google Cloud Platform, the team has been working hard to improve the server capacity and performance for our European cluster.

In order to adapt the current structure with these latest improvements, shards in our European cluster will be going through merges on June 5th, 2019. After it's all been completed, the European cluster will consist of:

Brutwatcht (German) (PVE)
    • Brisesol (French) (PVE)
    • Typhiria (English) (PVE)
    • Cahai
    l (Hidden - Used for load balancing dungeons, raids & warfronts)

Bloodiron (PVP), Zaviel, Gelidra & Refuge will be merged into Typhiria (PVE).

Unfortunately the population no longer warrants support for an open world PVP server, as noted above Bloodiron will be merged into the PVE Typhiria environment.

Thank you for your continued support during this transition!
    Source: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...rd-merges.html

So the game is so dead they are taking 3 servers and putting them into one server.

Such a sad state the game is in.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Ouch. Seems Gamigo while trying are struggling.

Also that's 2 PvE servers and 1 PvP. Let's not pretend this merge is only just happening because Open World PvP isn't a thing in Rift anymore.

It's one of the reasons. Not the only one.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2019-05-11 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post

Also that's 2 PvE servers and 1 PvP. Let's not pretend this merge is only just happening because Open World PvP isn't a thing in Rift anymore.

They are cutting back as much as they can to get as little profit as they can before pulling the plug.

Honestly I wish they would just take the game outback and shoot it because its deserves better.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    They are cutting back as much as they can to get as little profit as they can before pulling the plug.

Honestly I wish they would just take the game outback and shoot it because its deserves better.
    To be fair. Gamigo are at least trying which is fair but it's coming just too late.

We will see Atlas Reactor and Defiance shut down first most likely.

https://www.atlasreactorgame.com/en/...atlas-reactor/

Oh. Seems we missed out on that announcement. Well guess I was right on 1 of 2 games.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    So the game is so dead they are taking 3 servers and putting them into one server.

Such a sad state the game is in.
    That's what happens when Trion Worlds take a respected MMORPG like Rift and slap pay to win elements into the game for the sake of maximising profits. And don't even get me started on how hard they cocked up both ArcheAge and Trove either.

If they didn't flip the middle finger to their fans, they wouldn't have gone bust and ended up in the bargain bin for Gamigo to pick the scraps.

Gamigo were trying? Are you actually high?

Ever since Gamigo took over, they've done nothing but shut down servers and lay off staff. Even Rift's legacy server (which was successful and brought in guaranteed revenue because it was a Patron only server) was dragged out back and pumped full of buckshot like an injured race horse.

There's a reason why Gamigo haven't run anything more popular than Fiesta Online in the past, because they're a bargain bin MMO publisher that nobody wants to touch. They make the likes of Gameforge look incredible.
    To be fair. Gamigo are at least trying which is fair but it's coming just too late.

We will see Atlas Reactor and Defiance shut down first most likely.

https://www.atlasreactorgame.com/en/...atlas-reactor/

Oh. Seems we missed out on that announcement. Well guess I was right on 1 of 2 games.
    kek.

I hadn't even heard of Atlas Reactor prior to this shutdown.
    Last edited by Clbull; 2019-05-11 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clbull View Post
    That's what happens when Trion Worlds take a respected MMORPG like Rift and slap pay to win elements into the game for the sake of maximising profits. And don't even get me started on how hard they cocked up both ArcheAge and Trove either.

If they didn't flip the middle finger to their fans, they wouldn't have gone bust and ended up in the bargain bin for Gamigo to pick the scraps.

Gamigo were trying? Are you actually high?

Ever since Gamigo took over, they've done nothing but shut down servers and lay off staff. Even Rift's legacy server (which was successful and brought in guaranteed revenue because it was a Patron only server) was dragged out back and pumped full of buckshot like an injured race horse.

There's a reason why Gamigo haven't run anything more popular than Fiesta Online in the past, because they're a bargain bin MMO publisher that nobody wants to touch. They make the likes of Gameforge look incredible.

kek.

I hadn't even heard of Atlas Reactor prior to this shutdown.
    To be fair Gamigo have been slowly trying to give this game attention at least. More than Trion did in the past year or two.

I'm not saying that it's enough to keep it afloat god no. Just that they were showing interest.

As for Prime. No it wasn't. It was costing more in upkeep than it was bringing in. It was a flat out ghost town of a server. Trion basically made sure of that with the consistent bugs and mess that Prime was.

Patron only server does not guarantee profits. Could have only had 100-200 people paying £10 a month which is what £2000? Server upkeep on the scale of an MMO on top of staff salary definitely costs more than that. Prime is and always will be a failed project because Trion decided to be lazy and do a progression server that wasn't actually progression and just the modern game downgraded.

The cloud system is completely like a joke. Servers are downing every between 3-4 hours only EU btw NA is working fine. They are saying like we are trying to find a solution but I dont think that will help. People's are angry about that situation they cant even fix it still 1 week passed. I dont even think what will happen when we moved the typhiria

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Rift Prime was NOT successful whatsoever.

They had a huge influx at launch, and due to absolutely no testing, and pissing on the playerbase from on high, were down to barely a hundred or so players within months.
    That is not a successful product by any stretch of the imagination (I was there from launch until 4 months in, tried to give it a fair crack, and watched it sink more and more. Checked forums constantly to see if worth coming back, and there were just constant comments about "No players" and "Dying Server". Hardly a profitable game.
    Trion basically thought they could downgrade the live game, with just a level cap, and do absolutely nothing and reap profits. They then slowly realised that the whole game was a mess, and had to actually put staff in to keep the server community actually playing, which in turn cost more and more than they expected.
    Prime was a cash cow, that ended up being a floating turd.
    Yep totaly and they failed. They didnt listen to playerbase bugs and exlpoits ton of stuff was happening in prime.

why are they closing servers when they got sharding tech? why not do what wow did and just keep the server-names while merging the hardware? aka do the same thing but with less bad pr?

If Rift does have it's plug pulled, is Slipmat also going to migrate to FF14 like ministabber?

Because Rift is beyond life support at the moment, it should have been closed months ago. Sharding tech also probably costs more with all honesty, and spreads the remaining players out too much. This way they can say "One big server!"
    They would have done a cost analysis, and decided closing is most profitable long term. So closing it is, and a handful of servers is the answer. PR is the absolute least of Rifts problems right now tbh.
    Honestly with them closing other Trion games down/abandoning them it just seems more clear they were in it for Trove as that probably doesn't cost much to maintain despite having very few concurrent players.

Defiance is just a barren wasteland right now. To say 8000 people "rated" it on PS4 I went around and saw about 100-200 at most.
    Atlas Reactor is being shut down in June.
    Rift is well... Gamigo are trying but it'll take a miracle.
    Archeage no idea. Not interested in the P2W/P2A nonsense in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by horbindr View Post
    why are they closing servers when they got sharding tech?
    People aren't really aware of how the sharding tech works in Rift, it behaves like one, big Megaserver, you can freely hop around between all 'servers' all day long if you like, the only difference from another server to your home server is your Guild and the Auction House you view on another server is still your own.

So you're right, not sure why they're going through this mess of people possibly losing char names, people that have multiple alts across all shards for trading/AH whatever, what happens to all those alts? don't think they'll allow up to 70 alts on one server.

I know that when you log on you get thrown onto the most populated anyway so 99% of your time online you mightn't even be on your home server, the other advantages to keeping the other shards up is chasing zone events, chasing artifacts, heck just farming mats.

Because Rift is beyond life support at the moment, it should have been closed months ago. Sharding tech also probably costs more with all honesty, and spreads the remaining players out too much. This way they can say "One big server!"
    They would have done a cost analysis, and decided closing is most profitable long term. So closing it is, and a handful of servers is the answer. PR is the absolute least of Rifts problems right now tbh.
    To be fair just make one server. I highly doubt the EU population is that big to not fit on one server anyway.

If they really want to cost cut.

It's just a damn shame. This game could have been one of the biggest MMOs out there and now it has around 1-2k players online at peak. All because some company had a dynamic shift and started throwing out bad content/questionable practices at the cost of quality.

Would have been amazing to see Rift compete with WoW, GW2, FF14, ESO and so on. Nowadays Rift competes with games like those Korean F2P ones or Everquest. It says a damn lot when a modern games competition is a 20 year old game.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2019-05-13 at 02:02 PM.