Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do all classes have an epic weapon quest chain?

I was only 54 when TBC hit, so I didn't do much in vanilla at level 60. I keep hearing about Anathema/Benediction, and I've heard stories about a hunter bow that took a lot of skill to get, but that's about it. Did they create quests like that for all classes? Or just those 2? Did the rest of the classes just have to fight over the raid legendaries to get something special?

Were those quest legendaries even useful for raiders? Or did they get replaced fairly quickly?

Only Hunters and Priests had an epic weapon chain. Paladins and Warlocks had epic mount quests.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only those two. Benediction/Anathema would last quite a while because it was pretty powerful item at the time you could obtain it. Raid drops being pretty stingy meant that this was a pretty easy way to get your priests gear, without having to take weapons from your casters, or other healers. I forget how strong the bow is, but I think the quiver was the best you could get in all of Vanilla (hunters didn't scale very well regardless, and they dropped off damage wise as each tier released).

There are some fairly long quest lines for certain classes while leveling up, that gives you a pretty good rare item though. There's a mace for paladins and an axe for warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Arawrabearialis View Post
    Only Hunters and Priests had an epic weapon chain. Paladins and Warlocks had epic mount quests.
    Just as Arawrabearialis sayd, only Hunters and Priests had the epic chains, all classes had a lvl 50ish (50-55, not sure when it started) chain for a great blue helm or blue legs IIRC and most had some form of quest earlier on for gear or mounts (Paladins and Warlocks, both for normal and epic). The other classes only had the shared quest chains for legendaries (Sulfuras, Atiesh and Thunderfury) at max level.

Also Warriors and Paladins had a quest for Quel'Serrar, an epic 1h sword.

Warriors and Paladins could do a quest to get Quel'serrar. Its an epic tanking sword and the quest starts from a drop from Diremaul but requires doing Onyxia to complete. I believe its very good till BWL.

I feel like there are a lot of cool items in Vanilla that feel special for reasons other then the color of the item name that I dont feel like I would be fighting to get a legendary or I would need to have a legendary. Dont forget that legendary items will be very rare and few people will get one.

Thunderfury and Hand of Ragnaros are every good and dont get replaced till Naxx if they get replaced at all.

If you are looking for a long epic quest chain to unlock a good weapon, the quest chain to open the AQ gate rewards good weapons for most classes. The quest chain can be done even long after the gate has been opened. The quest chain requires doing BWL and killing many elite mobs and raid bosses in the open world.

Priest / Hunter - MC Weapon quest.
    Warlock / Pally - Epic Mount.
    Warrior / Paladin - Quel'serrar.
    Shaman - Fancy hat.

They are about as random as class quests, mages for some reason get like every 10 level or so a class quest, a few classes it stops after 10 until 50, there everyone gets their share of pain, that is the "class quest" in itself and Sunken Temple.

Not including the misery of finding out you selected the wrong item for endgame content.

Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    I keep hearing about Anathema/Benediction, and I've heard stories about a hunter bow that took a lot of skill to get, but that's about it.

Were those quest legendaries even useful for raiders? Or did they get replaced fairly quickly?
    Anathema was pretty good, better than the R14 weapons. The Staff+Bow combo for hunters was not bad either. As for the difficulty...both raid drops were garanteed over time and the hunter quest could be bough for GOLD, since every hunter in your group could finish the quest for you.

It was allways hillarious to see a full T1/T2 geared hunter on the ground, while a blueish geared china-gold-farm-hunter was doing the quest for them. Kiting and meleeing a miniboss is insanely difficult :>
    -

Shaman shared part of the Paladin chain up until Rattlegore, in which they got an epic helmet. The chain ended there for Shaman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelthon
    do i wanting my cat come the expansion due to signifying a reroll fresh scratch the night elf mage?

Atiesh is basically a epic/legendary quest chain for Warlock, Mage, Druid and Priest, so every class is covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Malacrass View Post
    Atiesh is basically a epic/legendary quest chain for Warlock, Mage, Druid and Priest, so every class is covered.
    Yeah but that is Naxx though
    Sylvanas Windrunner is not hot... Change my mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    And Druids had epic flight quest (in TBC)..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerschlag View Post
    Naxxramas is in vanilla, it'll be in classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Anathema was pretty good, better than the R14 weapons. The Staff+Bow combo for hunters was not bad either. As for the difficulty...both raid drops were garanteed over time and the hunter quest could be bough for GOLD, since every hunter in your group could finish the quest for you.

It was allways hillarious to see a full T1/T2 geared hunter on the ground, while a blueish geared china-gold-farm-hunter was doing the quest for them. Kiting and meleeing a miniboss is insanely difficult :>
    I honestly remember the hunter questline being very difficult personally but that was purely cause I was in dire need of some "L2P" and that questline taught me some hard lessons and made me "git gud".
    I eventually beat it on my own and felt a great sense of accomplishment.
    I think it was an exellent quest experiance that taught essential class skills although it was kinda lame that fellow hunters could interfear and mess things up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    Its not something that every player can do though. It requires hardcore raiding to farm Naxx for months and being selected by your guild. So it doesn't really count. While technically its possible, its not something to count on.
    Yes, that's how it work, an item is not legendary or even epic if everyone can have it. Back then legendary wielders were all known by name across whole server and could have been counted on the fingers of one hand

Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    I was only 54 when TBC hit, so I didn't do much in vanilla at level 60. I keep hearing about Anathema/Benediction, and I've heard stories about a hunter bow that took a lot of skill to get, but that's about it. Did they create quests like that for all classes? Or just those 2? Did the rest of the classes just have to fight over the raid legendaries to get something special?

To be honest with you the when you limit the question to "epic weapon quests" there are only like 3. The hunter one, warrior/paladin one, and priest one But there are also 2 legendary weapon quests with the thunderfury ending in a pretty epic battle.

However, there are many cool class quests that are not weapon related.

Shamans - had cool "totem" acquisition quests that gave a chunk of lore and shit on 4 bag slots permanently which enabled you to drop totems from the 4 element types.
    + It had a cool quest chain that gave you a wolf helm

Warriors - had some cool leveling quests that gave some significant gear increase, the one I remember the most was the weapon you got at lvl 20 if I remember correctly which was a big upgrade for me at the time

Paladin & warlock - Had the cool epic mount quests and easy to get normal mounts

There were a bunch of quests similar to above for each class during leveling or at max level that added a bit of flavor to each class and lore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    I honestly remember the hunter questline being very difficult personally but that was purely cause I was in dire need of some "L2P" and that questline taught me some hard lessons and made me "git gud".
    I eventually beat it on my own and felt a great sense of accomplishment.
    I think it was an exellent quest experiance that taught essential class skills although it was kinda lame that fellow hunters could interfear and mess things up.

We had 1 really good hunter in the guild who would log into every other hunter's account to do the fights.. We would constantly spam the zone chat and pretty much form a barrier around the fight to try to stop people from interfering during the encounters.. It was always sad when someone saw you fighting something cool looking and just wanted to help and completely fuck up the fight If they try something like that today, people would troll camp those spawns forever but back then it would get you blacklisted so usually it was an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by faithbane View Post
    To be honest with you the when you limit the question to "epic weapon quests" there are only like 3. The hunter one, warrior/paladin one, and priest one But there are also 2 legendary weapon quests with the thunderfury ending in a pretty epic battle.

However, there are many cool class quests that are not weapon related.

Shamans - had cool "totem" acquisition quests that gave a chunk of lore and shit on 4 bag slots permanently which enabled you to drop totems from the 4 element types.
    + It had a cool quest chain that gave you a wolf helm

Warriors - had some cool leveling quests that gave some significant gear increase, the one I remember the most was the weapon you got at lvl 20 if I remember correctly which was a big upgrade for me at the time

Paladin & warlock - Had the cool epic mount quests and easy to get normal mounts

There were a bunch of quests similar to above for each class during leveling or at max level that added a bit of flavor to each class and lore.

- - - Updated - - -

We had 1 really good hunter in the guild who would log into every other hunter's account to do the fights.. We would constantly spam the zone chat and pretty much form a barrier around the fight to try to stop people from interfering during the encounters.. It was always sad when someone saw you fighting something cool looking and just wanted to help and completely fuck up the fight If they try something like that today, people would troll camp those spawns forever but back then it would get you blacklisted so usually it was an accident.
    Yes any rando from eaither faction that so much as touched the hunter demons would result in it despawning for 1 hour.

I am wondering how trollish people are gonna be on classic servers.

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Yes any rando from eaither faction that so much as touched the hunter demons would result in it despawning for 1 hour.

I am wondering how trollish people are gonna be on classic servers.
    It is a little hard to be a troll on classic because you need to group with other people in almost all end game and even some leveling content.. the Second you are branded as an asshole it is pretty hard to find groups. Add on top of that the fact that name change/transfers don't exist and leveling takes a hell lot of time which will result in a lot of well behaved people or people who will learn their lesson the hard way..

I was playing on a PVP server on classic and there were allies who would watch us slaughter assholes of other factions that are from known troll guilds/groups and dance with us. I miss knowing the names of many people that log in every day and recognizing how they would react based on the guilds they are in even if I didn't know them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerschlag View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    Its not something that every player can do though. It requires hardcore raiding to farm Naxx for months and being selected by your guild. So it doesn't really count. While technically its possible, its not something to count on.
    Of course it's something you can count on, Classic WoW will be up and running for at least 10 more years - if not more considering how Blizzard doesn't shut down old games.

In Classic you will have all the time in the world to progress your character. Even something outrageous, like Atiesh, is actually possible this time around. Within the first 2 years? No. Within the first 4 years? Still no for people who have limited time to play.
    But the quest will always be there, waiting for you to complete it.

Vanilla is, with the exception of a few bosses, not hard. Gear requirements, attunements and *people* are the roadblocks.

I guess the biggest barrier will be defeating C'thun and Kel'thuzad, but you could always buy yourself a one-time raid spot from one of the top guilds on your realm if your own can't handle it.
    Last edited by Malacrass; 2019-05-08 at 01:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was quest for RARE weapon for warriors as i remember. Whirlwind Axe or smth like that :P But it was mostly lvling weapon. Quest for 30 lvl+-.