Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Speaking to a stranger does not necessarily mean you are interested in a sexual encounter with that person. That's an absurd worldview to have. We are all capable of interacting with other human beings in a civil and social way. You can lob a flirtation at someone and see if it's reciprocated; actually our entire survival as a species relies on those verbal/nonverbal gestures. Even if you watch any Human Resources video about sexual harassment, they always indicate that what's appropriate is entirely subjective to the persons involved [but no one is a mind reader]. This doucheclown thinks people of two different sexes shouldn't be allowed to communicate in public? lol no
    No, it doesn't, but the hypothetical woman in this man's post has her headphones on and is reading a book. If that isn't non-verbal for 'leave me alone' or 'I don't feel like talking to anyone right now' I don't know what is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    No idea what that post was for tbh. Seems to talk a lot for others. While true for some it's not true for everyone. I do agree on that if someone says no you should ofc respect that but the post seems like you shouldn't approach anyone rather than respecting a no.
    Pretty much this. Post plainly discourages you do attempt any kind of interaction, it's genuinely vile and ill-minded message under disguise of 'nice guy advice'

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    to all of you who think you are entitled to attention from another person who is obviously doing something else? you are NOT. seriously, back when I still lived in a city and took public transit, I have lost count over being approached - when I was reading a book with earphones in, continue to be bothered when I would give non committal answers and tried to go back to reading, approached when i pretended to sleep ffs, my eyes were closed and everything.

just... don't. please? or at a minimum, do understand that when the person is not actively engaging you back in a conversation (a good sign is if they look back down to their book instead of closing it and giving you full attention).

and yes, i HAVE chosen my words very carefully when trying to reject attention, because i HAVE personaly experienced the "what, you think you are too good for me?" reaction. thankfully, haven't experienced physical violence. and because of course people are already getting defensive over not wanting to be approached... this. has. nothing. to do. with. vanity. why is it so hard to understand that sometimes.. a person would just rather be left alone. that they may not have spoons for random human interactions but still have to go outside, to get to work or whatever, becasue you know.. one needs to pay the bills and all. if someone is giving off the "do not approach signals, by reading a book, having earphones in their ears, having their eyes close, whatever else.... why. WHY must you approach them and say anything to them at all? i don't bother people who are obviously doing something else, unless they are the only person there and I have a question about directions or something like that. so why do you think its totally cool to do?

now. there were also dudes who took no for an answer and did leave me be. so its not every single time occurrence. but we never know which one its going to be, so we tend to err on a side of caution. you can defensively call it sexist all you want, but while i don't assume that every man is violent, i do NOT know which one you are going to be until i interact with you.

P.S. I've had unwanted interactions with women as well, though not in the same way. but i have to ask, what is it about american culture that makes people think that its ok to invade your personal space and touch you in any way, when you are strangers? (I don't even mean sexual touching, just don't grab my arm randomly either, becasue why would you? i just don't get it)

oh and if you are going to approach people at the gym, at least have a decency to do so when they are BETWEEN SETS instead of in a middle of one. this whole being interrupted mid set, especially with free weights is why both SO and I decided to say screw it to gym memberships and just have a home gym instead. when i'm trying to focus on my form the LAST thing I want is someone breaking my concentration for anything other then "gym is on fire, we have to evacuate right now)
    Can second this. Fortunately, I live in a city where people tend to stare instead of approaching someone who doesn't wish to be approached.

But I don't get why people would try to talk to someone clearly not interested in a conversation either.

Another thought is that in this internet era, socialization has lessened significantly.

Social cues, mannerisms, etc have not been learned enough.

Just a possibility

Always seemed a bit insensitive to me to complain about a problem other people would love to have

In general? Fuck no lol. Call me whatever you want, but, me being a coward in my own opinion, think fearing for your life if you reject a guy is weak-ass thing, seriously. Same thing with people fearing for their lives if someone just looks at them wrong in the supermarket, like come on man, get a grip.

Being aware of your surroundings and recognizing that this could mean danger is great, but it doesn't mean you actuallly are in danger.

*Obviously, you can take precautions if you really think you're dealing with a legit psycho who might have a meltdown or something, but fear for life still doesn't seem worth it.

Someone who wants to kill you tend to do so regardless and not so...obviously.
    Last edited by Halyon; 2019-05-13 at 09:06 PM.

Of course. Every man who ever got rejected by a woman always beats her, rapes her, and kills her. Every single woman knows that. I mean, every single woman who lives on the internet. People who live in the actual world, and don't pay attention to the bullshit fearmongering and propaganda probably never seen one single guy get violent when rejected. Well, when sober at least, since I suppose drunks sometimes might get violent, rejected or not.

Also, the facebug post quoted in OP is the cringiest shit I've seen on the internet, and I've seen a lot.
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Sorry, your quote means nothing to me.

- - - Updated - - -

So we now flame folks for being male? Pretty sexist of you, but, not even remotely a surprise.
    Ah damn that's a shame. Ah well. Best of luck getting a reply to those quotes, being my point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I don't think there's anything wrong with telling someone you would like to go out on a date in an appropriate social context. If your overture is rejected you shouldn't get angry or violent about it, either; handling rejection with gracefulness can actually make a very good impression and even lead to future opportunities (though you shouldn't bank on that either). Social contexts where you should ask a person about possible dating are ones where interaction should be expected: bars, parties, group gatherings, etc. etc. Places where you probably shouldn't approach someone are places where there's an expectation of privacy or where there's no avenues of withdraw - public transit, taxis, or settings where open conversations aren't expected. You should also avoid it in situations that include an automatic imbalance of power - be it supervisor/employee, customer/waitstaff, etc. etc.

Ideally no one should be afraid for their lives due to rejection as being rejected is not the end of the world.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

15+ Year Old Account
    SJW white knight thread.
    I have yet in my 35 years of age see a woman get bothered by a guy at a bus stop who's asking her for her number, Facebook, sex, etc. NOT ONCE.
    Shit, I have asked women at bus stops or trains but it was for directions.
    Fucking anti-man propaganda everywhere in this shit age. What, are we not supposed to turn to women at all to ask for stuff and just go talk to men?
    Fucking hell...

You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

There's nothing wrong with that post. It's directed towards people who are probably not you, OP. And yes, these people do exist and I have had personal experiences with them.

Yes this does happen to women, yes many men have a "won't take no for an answer" attitude. It's not always aggressive or violent but it is pushy and you can often hear mounting agitation in a guy's voice when you turn him down. When you're forced to basically either lie or shoot down a clueless guy's hopes to his face, one who may not be stable or rational, you're bound to encounter some bad eggs.

The point of his post is that a woman walking down the street with headphones on, doing her own thing, not giving any signs that she wishes to be approached is not in the mood for your advances. You're almost always going to be turned down because we're not walking desire objects for every guy who wants a girlfriend. There's a time and place for everything and if you do that to someone at random trying to get from point A to point B then you're being a pain in the ass.
    Last edited by Irian; 2019-05-13 at 09:30 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bennett View Post
    who the fuck goes up to someone and asks for sex lmfao, and then who the fuck is not offended by that? Stop lying lol
    i said i haven't seen it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    Another thought is that in this internet era, socialization has lessened significantly.

Social cues, mannerisms, etc have not been learned enough.

Just a possibility
    Hardly. I'm just old enough to have experienced both offline and online dating (being 34, keep in mind that in my early to mid 20's social media was still a total novelty, hell there were even people in my early 20's and late teens who didn't have cellphones).

Creeps and assholes were just as abundant if not more abundant than now. I bartended in college, and holy hell have seen some epic creepy and over the top aggresive shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post
    Came across this... piece... and Im going to hold off my own personal opinions on it.

I have hit on women and been rejected. I've never felt angry or turned violent. In fact, Its a humbling experience connecting with someone, all the planets align together, I take my shot AND.......... BOOM! Rejected.

I have landed dates and I have passed on dates. Been on every side of the spectrum and I have yet to feel angry, anxious or turn violent.

But thats JUST me, so im asking if anyone has experienced this OR know someone who has and would like your thoughts on this.
    I'm not going to hold off my personal opinions on it. It's great!
    Even though you know for yourself that you're not going to go mental and turn violent when your pride takes a hit, you shouldn't have to involve the girl at all in your little game. She wants nothing to do with you, so why be an annoying prick? I read today about a girl that was playing on her Switch on the airplane, with headphones on, and the guy sitting next to her, was waving to get her attention, and then started asking a lot of personal questions. I mean, where does this arrogance come from? How can people be so self-obsessed that they don't consider that the other person just wants to be left alone? Not every public space is a dating arena with girls looking for a good time, so give it a rest.
    Mother pus bucket!

I agree if someone is persistent after being rejected, but he's going as far as to say to not even bother women at all.

No one should feel afraid for their lives... no one should feel ashamed to meet someone new...

We're all on this planet to fuck and make babies, everything else is just stuff to pass the time until we die. Don't let some white knight male feminist who doesn't know shit about that, tell you how to live your life.

And it works both ways, I've experienced quite a few overbearing girls who didn't get the hint after the first rejection.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    A lot of #notallmen itt
    What's wrong with bring tall? D=

/s

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    SJW white knight thread.
    I have yet in my 35 years of age see a woman get bothered by a guy at a bus stop who's asking her for her number, Facebook, sex, etc. NOT ONCE.
    Shit, I have asked women at bus stops or trains but it was for directions.
    Fucking anti-man propaganda everywhere in this shit age. What, are we not supposed to turn to women at all to ask for stuff and just go talk to men?
    Fucking hell...
    Read the example given. She's wearing headphones and reading a book. This is not a person that is presenting any desire to engage in small talk, flirtation, etc. That doesn't mean you can't talk to women ever...it doesn't even mean you can't ever talk to this particular woman. In a different scenario...she might be more willing to engage with you... but at the present time...she seems to just want to be left alone.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Who the fuck goes up to someone and asks for sex lmfao, and then who the fuck is not offended by that? Stop lying lol
    I had a friend in high school who'd go up to women and say: "Nice shoes, wanna fuck?"

...Worst part is it worked a few times. Guy was a complete dick, cut ties with em but they do exist.

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    I'm not going to hold off my personal opinions on it. It's great!
    Even though you know for yourself that you're not going to go mental and turn violent when your pride takes a hit, you shouldn't have to involve the girl at all in your little game. She wants nothing to do with you, so why be an annoying prick? I read today about a girl that was playing on her Switch on the airplane, with headphones on, and the guy sitting next to her, was waving to get her attention, and then started asking a lot of personal questions. I mean, where does this arrogance come from? How can people be so self-obsessed that they don't consider that the other person just wants to be left alone? Not every public space is a dating arena with girls looking for a good time, so give it a rest.
    This is exactly why it's annoying and what some guys aren't going to get.

If I'm sitting by myself, headphones on, minding my own business, not in a great mood just trying to get something done then no I don't want to be approached by you. If you insist on probing me with weirdly personal questions in an attempt to "get to know me" then we're already on a bad foot because like every other sane human being I don't want to be badgered with this kind of borderline interrogation while I'm just trying to live my life. And voicing that I'm not interested often doesn't work or at best often hurting a stranger's feelings where they didn't need to be.

Men need to understand the concept of time and place if they don't want to come off as weird. There are places to meet potential girlfriends, and airports and sidewalks are not them. Pay attention to stuff like body language and you might actually get better results.